some lodging reviews

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mindalynn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

some lodging reviews

Post by Mindalynn »

I thought I'd write a post about our lodging experiences on the trip we just got back from in case it's helpful to others. We stayed at lots of different places around the park because we wanted to see the different areas.

The first two nights (and final one night before our flight left on the last day) we spent at the Back Rock B&B in Columbia Falls. This place was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, and we could certainly see why! The hosts were very friendly and full of advice and info. The breakfasts were out of this world. The rooms were comfortable. They loan out all kinds of outdoors equipment--including bear spray, hiking poles, snowshoes and crampons--all of which we put to good use! We had access to a laundry room, a pool table, sitting rooms with TVs (never used those, though), an air hockey table, a full kitchen (in the club house)--really everything you could need was right there.

We stayed two nights at Waterton River Suites, which is about 30 minutes outside of Waterton Lakes National Park. Our first choices for B&Bs were inside the park, but they were all full. Waterton River Suites was a bit pricey, but so is everything else in the area really. It was a BEAUTIFUL place. Spacious, comfortable, outstanding setting (overlooking a river with the mountains in the background). They have a wood fired hot tub, which was just outstanding and such a relaxing way to end the day. It was so quiet and peaceful. The room had a mini-fridge and microwave and toaster oven, and there was an outdoor grill, so we were able to prepare our dinner there. Breakfast is provided but it is "self-catered", which means the hostess brings it the night before to put in your fridge and then you heat it up in the morning whenever you want. The only downside is that it is a bit further from the park, and it requires about 5-10 minutes of driving on a gravel road to get there. But if you are looking for solitude and relaxation, it really can't be beat!

In St. Mary we stayed two nights at the "Bessie Shannon Bedroom" at the Johnsons. It was huge, with two queen beds, two easy chairs, and a TV with satellite TV channels. It has a fridge and microwave. The room was sweltering when we arrived, but after a few hours of the AC wall unit blasting, it cooled off. The bathroom is private but not connected to the room. The shower was tiny and the water temperature would vary while you were showering. The room was eclectic and cluttery--very much like staying at your grandma's house! It was located above the cafe, with a separate back entrance. It was nice enough, but if it weren't for the location I certainly wouldn't pay $150 a night for a place like that! The Johnsons at St. Mary also have cabins--rustic "camping cabins" and fully furnished ones, a campground, and RV sites. There's a coin-operated laundromat and wifi at the office (no wifi in the room though). The office, which closes at 9pm, can give you quarters and sell you laundry soap.

Our favorite accomodation of all was the Granite Park Chalet--what a magical place! The views really cannot be beat. Yes, it's expensive, and no it doesn't have running water or anything, but you will not regret a stay here! Wow.

Finally, we stayed one night at the Travelers' Rest Lodge in East Glacier. We wished we were there longer, because the cabin was really outstanding. It was much nicer than it looked on the webpage, and while not exactly cheap (I think we paid $115), it was the least expensive of our lodging choices this trip--everything near Glacier is just expensive, so comparatively speaking the price was good. The place was huge and seemed brand new. It had a nice large kitchenette, beautiful bathroom with a tub, comfortable bed, even a gas fireplace. The owners were really, really nice and very accommodating. A great place to stay. (No internet access, however--I personally don't care but alas, my husband has to keep things running at work sometimes, even when we're on vacation.)
sueoz

Re: some lodging reviews

Post by sueoz »

Thanks for the review on Travelers Rest Lodge. We have 2 nights reserved for September and love to hear the great review.
Sue
Tara

Post by Tara »

I was glad to see a review of Traveler's Rest too...I always drive by it and wonder but haven't seen any reviews. Thanks, this is great...I haven't heard of the places in Columbia Falls or Waterton.
flatlander
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by flatlander »

While $150 for the Johnson's "Bessie Johnson Bedroom" and current rates for Sperry and Granite Park Chalet's may seem expensive, I don't think we should complain. I was considering a return trip to the Canadian Rockies (primarily Yoho NP -- the crown of the Canadian Rockies!) but nearly all the lodges have become so "gentrified" and luxurious to be out of reach for most ... with $400-500/night becoming the norm, often with 2-night minimums.

My "dream" vacation to Lake O'Hara Lodge will remain a dream, with the 2-person Lakeshore Cabin now priced at $736/night (plus 12% tax = $824/night) with 2-night minimum (includes meals). I rented a rustic Cathedral Mountain Lodge cabin for about $50 during my first visit to Yoho years ago; most are now $450+/night. While I did find a few lodging options in the $200+ range (e.g., 2-bedroom in Field, BC Hostel), seems like more and more owners are catering to the more affluent.

On the positive side, the lodging costs should make it much easier for me to convince my traveling companions that camping is not such a bad alternative!

Those who complain about the lack of amenities in the Park Hotels and Cabins should be careful for what they wish!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

flatlander wrote:Those who complain about the lack of amenities in the Park Hotels and Cabins should be careful for what they wish!
Thanks for your comments and putting things in perspective. I think we are fortunate to have the hotels and facilities in and around Glacier that we have.
For a family of four, a stay at Sperry Chalet can be expensive but for the experience it allows, I do not feel that it is overpriced.

Compared with hotel prices in the big cities, I think prices in Glacier are reasonable and the experience is much better.

Lyman
cntrygrl05

Post by cntrygrl05 »

The first two nights (and final one night before our flight left on the last day) we spent at the Back Rock B&B in Columbia Falls.

Correction: It's actually Bad Rock, not Back Rock. We stayed there too and loved it!! After reading your review of Traveler's, I'm excited because I have reservations there this weekend/next week! :lol:
Cntrygrl

"In the end, it's not the years in life, but the life in the years."
cntrygrl05

Post by cntrygrl05 »

Mindalynn- Does Traveler's Rest have outside grills or fire pits?? Thanks!!
Cntrygrl

"In the end, it's not the years in life, but the life in the years."
sambieni
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by sambieni »

After a week in the park we spent the weekend at Good Medicine Lodge in Whitefish. It was my promise to my wife.

I highly recommend. GREAT hosts, clean, comfy rooms, and good breakfast in a really well kept, attentive lodge/B&B. Quick walk (or drive) to Whitefish. Loved it here.

http://www.goodmedicinelodge.com/

We intended a night at Downtowner Inn in Whitefish too. But lack of good hot water (after hiking!!!) and a power outage sent us packing for Kalispell. They did not charge us at all, thankfully cause we would have fought it hard. But this place is drab adn a bti overpriced for what ya get. Yes, close to downtown, but the door lock had me worried. I was gonna pack all my stuff but my daybag needs in teh car all night cause i simply did not trust the lock while we were in or out of the room. Thankfully, we didn't stay here.

We ran to Kalispell and hit the Kalispell Grand. Good, charming, historic hotel. Cookies/popcorn at night, good continental breakfast in the morning. Coffee and Tea all the time. Its well priced. Clean. Feels worn, but it is clean so makes it fine. Recommend as the price is right. We even got a room with shoddy A/C (which was not needed given the cool night) and they gave the $100 room for 1/2 off!!!
Mindalynn

Post by Mindalynn »

Flatlander,

You do bring up good points. I understand why everything is so pricey in the area--it's all about the location. It still was painful for me to fork it over, however. But, like you said, it could be much worse.

Cntrygrl,

Thanks for catching my typo on the Bad Rock thing. And about Traveler's Rest having outdoor grills, I don't think they did as far as I can remember. You might send an email to the owners about it, though--they are very friendly and were quick to answer my questions.

Return to “Lodging”