Bugs, Bugs, and Bugs

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jane b.
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Bugs, Bugs, and Bugs

Post by jane b. »

Since bugs can be oh so annoying :cry: I thought I'd ask how they are this year? Just want to be ready to fight back! :twisted: My sister and I will be at Fishcreek, and Rising sun also hiking the Highline to Goat Haunt and a few nights in the Belly River and Lake Elizabeth area on or around July28- Aug 8. Not asking for mystical predictions just some observations. :roll:
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: Bugs, Bugs, and Bugs

Post by daveparker »

Jane,

So far this year, the bugs have been bad! lots of them flying around being annoying!

:evil:
Apikuni
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Apikuni »

An idea for ya, pickup one of those big bug nets, there in the shape of a box and have a ring on each corner so you can tie it up, there's two sizes that I've seen the smaller being able to fit 2 or 3 people. They are super lite and packable and provide a good place where you can cook. Bring pleny of rope and make sure you hang it with your food. You can also bring a tarp in case it rains.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

They are out and about. But, at least to me, they don't seem any worse than other years.

An article in the Interlake last week warned of higher than normal numbers of skeeters due to all the late season precipitation, but we will see. I hope yesterdays high winds blew them all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. I'm getting itchy just reading this thread, scratch scratch.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Some friends of mine just rafted the Middle Fork this weekend. Not many skeeters they said, BUT, she said the flies were AWFUL.

I have one of those rectangular hanging nets, the smaller one. Buy the treated one, or treat the one you have with "Sawyers" bug juice. It does help imo. They were on sale at REI recently. Dunno if they still are.

I have one of those head nets with a metal ring in it too. It works well with a "boonie hat" the hat brim and metal ring keep the net away from your face and neck.

pocketlint
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Did a 3 day backpack up the Belly River to Mokowanis Junction last week and spent 4 days in the Bob this week. Skeeters were almost non-existent on either trip except for the stretch between Chief Mountain trailhead and the Belly River where they were pretty tough.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
jane b.

Post by jane b. »

Thanks everyone for the info. I've ordered a net for emergencies and will have the usual bug juice. I am happy to hear that the mosquitos are not much of a bother for my hike into the Belly River and I hear that the Highline is melting nicely. In 10 days I'll be heading west! I can't wait!!
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

Was there last week and we were mostly in Many Glacier area and Two Med. It was interesting to see that the bugs varied location to location quite a bit. My wife was really hammered by mossies in Many Glacier area. I was mostly fine. But in Two Med, I got nibbled a lot and she was fine. So go figure? Rising Sun was one of the few campgrounds I didn't notice mossie's so much, more black flies, but still fewer bugs than elsewhere. More wind in the area? Not sure.

Either way - go with very strong DEET and do your best to have fun all bugs aside.
rayeraye
Gender?: Female

Post by rayeraye »

Update from husband who is currently at the Sperry Chalet...
Bugs have been terrible. Flies, Skeeters, everything.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Just got back from my Daw-Pit backpack.

No Name Lake CG was noit too bad for bugs..mostly skeeters.
Old Man Lake was awful. Skeeters, biting flies, HORSEflies, the big black ones.

Everyone was envious of my mosquito net hat. It works great though and doesn't weigh but maybe 2oz.

pocketlint :wink:
sue

Post by sue »

rayeraye,

Just saw our post about your husband being at Sperry Chalet the past day. did he hike in via gunsight trail? If so, was there much snow? This is our first time on that trail and we will be staying at Sperry in mid August. Wanted to have info from someone who has hiked it! Also, if he is hiking to Sperry Glacier, we'd love to hear about that hike also as we heard there was some iffy snow near the steps.

Thanks for any info!

Sue
lightnk102

Post by lightnk102 »

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but how's the bug situation in September? We'll be hiking the Belly River area in mid-September and are wondering how much bug spray we'll have to bring (if at all?)
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I was in the Park 9/7-9/16, 2008 and 9/4-9/21, 2009. I never had any issue with bugs. The deet I brought with me remained unused.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

toddnick wrote:I was in the Park 9/7-9/16, 2008 and 9/4-9/21, 2009. I never had any issue with bugs. The deet I brought with me remained unused.
It has been quite a while since I was in the park in September but I don't recall any bug problems then. However I would still carry some DEET just in case I ran into some area where the bugs were bad. I sure would hate to be 10 miles in and find myself surrounded!

Toddnick,

Are you still carrying DEET on your September hikes or are you now risking it?

Lyman
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I don't plan on buying any this year...unless I hear that something has changed.....

Return to “Camping”