Photography Backpacks

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Photography Backpacks

Post by Hockey Ref »

Do any of the hard-core photographers here use backpacks specifically designed to carry camera gear? If so, how do they compare to your every-day day pack in terms of utility, convenience, space for non-photo gear, etc.?
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
sam
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Photography Backpacks

Post by sam »

I bought an outpack a number of years ago. It fits all the camera stuff in real nice and convenient. However for me, I dont like how it feels and wears. Thus I never use it except maybe to carry stuff in the car on a trip. I find it better just to pack gear in my regular back pack, just have to make sure stuff is protected, usually with a thick sock or something... just an IMO.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

sam wrote:I bought an outpack a number of years ago. It fits all the camera stuff in real nice and convenient. However for me, I dont like how it feels and wears. Thus I never use it except maybe to carry stuff in the car on a trip. I find it better just to pack gear in my regular back pack, just have to make sure stuff is protected, usually with a thick sock or something... just an IMO.
Thanks, Sam. That's helpful. Anyone else?
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

I have a LowePro Slingshot 200, but it is really made for just carrying camera gear. For dayhikes, I used to carry a Jack Wolfskin daypack that actually had a bottom compartment that I put my SLR and lenses in. Then the top compartment was used for my dayhike essentials. I think that it was the one I used on my HockeyRef hike about 15 years ago.

How much camera gear are you planning on carrying? I am still trying different ways, but for my upcoming Glacier backcountry trip, I plan on bringing my DSLR and a 18-200mm lens. That will be all except for the extra battery, CF cards, brush and polarizing filter. It will fit in a small Lowe case that right now I have attached where one of my water bottle pockets would otherwise go.
Keisling

Post by Keisling »

I use different setups depending on the trail and what I plan on shooting.

For my recent Glacier trip (which I just got back from yesterday) I used a Tamrac MAS waist belt with attachments that I carried my extra lens, battery, cards and filters on. I also had two water bottle carriers on the belt. This way I did not have to drop the pack to swap between my 18 - 50 and 50-300 mm lenses. I also had my normal backpack with extra water, rain gear and whatever the wife added. We hitched both tripods to the backpack

The other rig is the Lowepro Inverse 200. It's a fanny pack for camera equipment. There is also a smaller version. Both have straps so they can be worn as sling packs also.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

From what I've read and experienced, the photo backpacks are not as good for backpacking as regular backpack converted to photography use. I was looking at buying some inserts and a backboard from

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

for my Kelty backpack. These are intended for LF photography, but obviously could be used for whatever. After measuring closely, I found I already had a case that could handle my SLR and slide into my Kelty, so I never placed an order. I used pouches for the extra lenses. That worked fine this trip, but the camera case was just a touch small (the flash shoe would catch going in and out) and I would like a pack that unzips fully. I would also like everything to have a fixed spot with a bit of padding. I'll probably only get that with some sewing.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Hockey Ref wrote:Do any of the hard-core photographers here use backpacks specifically designed to carry camera gear? If so, how do they compare to your every-day day pack in terms of utility, convenience, space for non-photo gear, etc.?
I use a couple of LowePro bags that are fairly small and carry only a few items. I sling one or the other of those bags over my shoulder depending on which camera I am taking on a trip. One carries only my smaller Rebel XTi along with a spare battery, card, and a few other items. The other is larger and carried my 5D MkII with lens, a second lens, cards, spare battery, level, cable release and a couple of filters.

I couldn't see carrying a bigger camera backpack on a day hike cause of all the other "day hike" stuff I usually carry. Plus as Jay w mentions, I've heard those photography backpacks are not all that comfortable.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
GroovyGeek

Post by GroovyGeek »

Yes, I know this is a necro-bump, but since this is a topic near and dear to my heart and with which I struggled for a long time I will do it anyway :)

If you want something that will put the weight on your hips and not your shoulders you have only two choices --- F-stop Loka or Tilopa and Clik Elite. I personally prefer the F-stop packs my a large margin, as they are very flexible and can be configured to do almost anything. The downside is that they are very expensive and hardly ever in stock, and the company leaves you with the impression that they are not the best organized shop in the world. Unless you are prepared to lug the entire weight of your backpack on your shoulders you should ignore Think Tank, Lowepro, Kata, Tamrac and pretty much any of the other mainstream brands. They do not have frames and have no room for non-photographic gear. The Loka and Tilopa have the additional advantage that they carry tripods beautifully and in a way that keeps them from snagging on overhead branches, like every other backpack.

As long as you are willing to forgo a bit of convenience you can save some money and gain comfort by buying a mid-size Osprey back and then buy something like a Mountainsmith Cube or Clik Capsule for another $20-$40. You will have to improvise a bit as far as carrying a tripod is concerned, but the comfort will be great.
RyanDyar

Post by RyanDyar »

Something I've struggled with a lot as a serious photographer. Glad to see this topic come up.

I borrowed a buddy's fstop bag for a 10 mile day hike last year... I didn't like it at all. limited space for non-photo gear, uncomfortable compared to regular day packs, and just feels more "stiff" overall (if that makes sense).

I've come to the conclusion (for myself at least) that my Osprey day-pack or Osprey Atmos65 multi-night pack is MUCH more comfortable to wear in the field. I normally carry a Canon 1ds3, 2 lenses, and a tripod. I have NEVER had an issue with them sitting in a regular pack. The inconvenience of access is outweighed by comfort for me.

In my day pack, I wrap my gear in bath-towels for shock absorption. In my overnight pack I actually wrap photo gear in extra clothes/layers to save weight. I keep the gear in the center of my pack... over my sleeping bag and under the tent fly. This helps for added padding. My tripod is normally strapped to the back. I've taken a few slips and falls over the years, but have never had gear damaged during so.

An added tip... putting camera bodies/lenses in ziplock bags before putting them in your pack can be a great added sense of security if you know you have sketchy creek crossings during your hike ;) Also, I keep a few hand-warmers in my pack to keep camera batteries warm or tripod legs thawed during winter excursions.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

I find like many of you that my usual daypack works fine for carrying my camera gear for a day hike. Mostly because I bought my daypack because it is comfortable. That is really important to me. I always seem to have something inside the pack to wrap an extra lens in (rain jacket, sox, etc). I try to keep my pack as light as possible so have downsized the amount of camera gear I carry in the last few years. I no longer carry a tripod but now look for a rock or something stable to place the camera on....works well most of the time with a lightweight gorilla-pod.
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Photography”