Pop-up camping with 18-month-old a good idea or not?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

hheveran
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Pop-up camping with 18-month-old a good idea or not?

Post by hheveran »

We have plans to be in GNP the week of August 21st for a family camping trip out west (we're from PA). Our 4 older kids are 7 and up, but our youngest is only 18 months old. We're starting to worry that camping out with nights in the 40s and the hiking and travel in general (flying out from PA to Jackson, camping in Tetons and Yellowstone, then Glacier) might be too much. Not to mention the sudden change in weather that can happen during hikes.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or experience camping so long with such a little one, if they got sick a lot, if it might push their limits? Anything we can bring or do to help our toddler be comfortable? I plan to bring warm winter clothing for her just in case.

Thanks!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: Pop-up camping with 18-month-old a good idea or not?

Post by Hockey Ref »

I believe several people here have commented on their experiences. How do you plan to carry her on hikes (are you doing just day hikes, or overnights)? Do you have a backpack or something similar designed for that purpose? And you'll need food, liquids, and diapers as well, right? Personally, I'm not sure I'd try hiking with a child so young, but I know others do. But it only takes one stumble on a rock or tree root to send you and the baby tumbling. Something to consider. As for camping, will you be sleeping in a tent, a travel trailer, or something else?

And bring rain gear in addition to the warm clothing.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
hheveran

Re: Pop-up camping with 18-month-old a good idea or not?

Post by hheveran »

We're renting an 18-foot pop-up trailer, though we'd prefer tents. We also have a baby carrier for carrying her on our backs. My husband will probably carry her and I'll carry a backpack with water, snacks, rain gear for us and the other 4 kids.

Fairly short, easy hikes are in order, since we also have a 7 and 11 year old.

Return to “Camping”