campground question

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

UOT
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

campground question

Post by UOT »

We are heading to Glacier from Yellowstone on Thursday Sept 1. Since it's our travel day, we won't get there bright and early. This is the Thursday before Labor Day...we need to camp for 2 nights because we start our backcountry trip on Saturday from Many Glacier. I am debating between reserving a spot at St. Mary for Thursday night just to be sure to get a spot...but I checked and last year it didn't fill up on the Thursday before Labor Day.

Just curious as to what opinions are out there--I have read that school has started and that's why the campgrounds don't really fill up. Ideally I would like to get a spot at Many Glacier on Thursday night...
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: campground question

Post by daveparker »

Just to be safe, I would make the reservation. Then you will be assured a spot to lay your head down when you arrive. This year has been very unpredictable due to the odd year we had, I have head many say they are going to spend that weekend in the park. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Dave
kalamitykatie
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by kalamitykatie »

Every time I've looked at St. Mary CG reservations this week there have been fewer sites available. I reserved for Friday the 2nd of Sept as I know I will be tired that day (after hiking Swiftcurrent Trail out from Granite Park Chalet) and won't want to be playing "find a spot" late in the day when I'm tired and sites are hard to come by. I'm going to take my chances on Saturday & Sunday, though, and try for a CG in the North Fork -- head there first thing in the morning. Hope that doesn't bite me in the butt... Anyway, if you will be arriving somewhat late on Thursday, I'd play it safe and reserve.

~Katie
UOT

Post by UOT »

I think when I first posted there were 99 out of 132, then 97, then 93, now 89...I am gonna just reserve because we are in yellowstone the week before and not able to check the status of available sites!

thanks for the input!!
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

A timely reminder! I just reserved for Sunday, Sept. 4. I plan to spend Sunday torturing myself climbing from the Loop to Granite Park Chalet - hear me groan! - and will be very happy to have a reserved campsite to come home to. Maybe Two Sisters will deliver...

In one year and one month I will be eligible for the Golden Age Passport. Get me a RV and occupy prime frontage at Two Medicine. :D
:arrow:

Return to “Camping”