Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Fire Danger Forecast?

Post by Kathy »

In another "Weather" topic thread, Stevo had mentioned the fires we have going on here in MN in the Boundary Waters area and asked about the fire danger forecast this year for Glacier.....anyone have any insights? I believe it was a fairly good snow year, right? But haven't seen much rain on the webcams....are there any concerns right now for this year's "fire season"?
BearCaveIdaho
Location: Heart of GemState So close no matter how far Forever trust who we are and nothing else matters

Post by BearCaveIdaho »

"The Northern Rockies Coordination Center (NRCC) is the interagency focal point for coordinating the mobilization of resources for wildland fire, wildland fire use, prescribed fire and other all-risk incidents throughout the Northern Rockies Area and, when necessary, for assignment throughout the United States. Located in Missoula, Montana, the Center also provides Intelligence and Predictive Services related-products to support wildland fire managers and firefighters in the decision making process throughout the Northern Rockies.."

http://gacc.nifc.gov/nrcc/index.htm

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php
Bear Well & Happy Directions... Whatever.. path you travel.
dorf

Post by dorf »

If I were to bet right now, I'd say it's going to be another nasty fire year.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/gis/snow.html Click on "percent of normal"

It's looking like most of the northern Rockies are at 80% of normal or lower. Heck, the same can be said for everywhere for that matter. The good news is that there's a little more snow up in Glacier. However, this can easily be depleted with another warm spring.

Check here for Montana snow pack depth
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Mon ... ntana.html
So many mountains, so little time.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

After a reportedly big snow year last year, I was shocked at how fast the snow and water disappeared. By late July the Park was very dry already with very little snow left. I hope this year proves cooler but I suspect Dorf's concern about fire danger will prove right.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

There is more snow expected, at least on the east side of the park. A winter storm watch is in effect for Tuesday. Accumulations in higher elevations could be 8-12 inches and 4-8 at lower elevations. Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow.

BTW, has anyone seen a plowing schedule yet? Don't they usually begin the first week in April?
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

it's my understanding that they started plowing yesterday. hopefully it won't be a bad fire season. i advocated a glacier hotspot team, on call 24 hours a day, during acute fire weather, at a glacier 'listening session' last week. the park needs to improve it's fire response time. it was about 8 hours before they checked out the red eagle blaze last year. then it was too late. could have lost the town of st mary. got real lucky.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Hi Scott,

Great Idea, we have been advocating that they have a summer time rapid response fire team on staff for years now at the national parks that pose the highest level of threat during the season, unfortunately it has fell on deaf ears so far, hopefully they will start listening..

Dave

Return to “Weather”