Which Route?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Which Route?

Post by Kathy »

b_kloos88 wrote:...I like the views along the way more than the views from camp. Although, if they're both good, I won't complain. I also like solitude.....
If the above is what you're lookin' for--the Kintla route...definitely! Why?? - Because you just described it perfectly above! :D
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by wnysteve »

I recall the route from Upper Kintla Lake to Boulder Pass was an easier ascent than Bowman to Brown Pass. And it had more huckleberries, too!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I'm going to put in for this one again this year:
BOW-->HOL-->BOU-->UPK (or the reverse)
And at the moment it looks like the window of opportunity for me will be between August 6th(1st night) and August 16th(last night).
If I get drawn, hopefully the BC folks can fit my 4 nights somewhere in that 11 night window.

pocketlint :wink:
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

Well, I've been waiting to comment on this thread for awhile, but my account was deactivated when I updated my email address. Anyhow, I hope I can get the Kintla-Bowman Route. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to find a ride up there, since we'll only have one car...or is that a dumb thing to bank on? It seems I've heard HOL is a hard camp to get too...
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

b_kloos88 wrote:Well, I've been waiting to comment on this thread for awhile, but my account was deactivated when I updated my email address. Anyhow, I hope I can get the Kintla-Bowman Route. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to find a ride up there, since we'll only have one car...or is that a dumb thing to bank on? It seems I've heard HOL is a hard camp to get too...
It's not a dumb thing to bank on depending on how patient you are, and maybe the weather at the time.
Kintla Lake CG is a much smaller CG than Bowman and hence far less traffic in and out. But imo, if you end at Kintla and can get a ride back to the junction for Bowman Lake(or Polebridge Ranger Station) there will usually be a good bit of traffic headed out to Bowman Lake, the much more visited CG. This all depends on the day of the week and the weather.
The reverse of that is...ending at Bowman Lake gives you a better shot at hitching back to the road junction, but then you'd have to wait for a ride to the less visited Kintla Lake CG.
It's not a crazy idea, but you could spend a lot of time waiting around...so not a good idea if you have a tight schedule.

I got drawn last year for this hike, but had to cancel. I had some local friends who were going to take me out to Bowman after following me to Kintla where I would leave my truck.
I gave the BC Office a 2 week window and so I would recommend you give them the widest possible window of dates. Also be willing to do the hike in either direction. That improves your odds a LOT if you get drawn.

August is going to be a very busy month for me this year. Lots of people coming out. IF, you get drawn, and IF I'm not busy, or out of town , etc. I'll help you out. I did it for some folks last year because it is such a difficult area logistically. Please don't bank on it though. There's many days i don't know what I'll be doing the following day. :)

I don't plan much in life anymore...by choice! :mrgreen:

pocketlint :wink:
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

That's really generous of you. You can count on me to not count on you =)
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here's a suggestion. It requires a little extra time but any time spent in the North Fork is worth it IMHO. This suggestion will spot your vehicle at the take out point so you will have less to deal with when your trip is done.

First plan to get to the Polebridge Ranger Station when it opens in the morning on the day BEFORE you are to start your backpack. Pick up your permit there. Then drive to the campground you plan on starting your hike from. Leave everyone in your party there and all your gear. Have the folks you leave there set up camp in one of the auto campsites and plan to camp there that night. Once they set up camp they can enjoy the area while waiting for you to return.

Take your vehicle to the other end of your hike and park it in the backcountry parking lot. Then try to hitchhike back to your camp. This will probably take two rides. But if you can get to where you will leave your car early enough in the day there will no doubt be people leaving the campground that will help you out. Later in the day, when you are looking for a ride to the other campground there will be more people going in than out.

Once you get back to your party at their campsite you will have the rest of the day to relax, explore and enjoy before beginning your backcountry trip the following morning.

The North Fork is different than anywhere else in Glacier. It requires a little more planning and maybe a little more time to enjoy it well. But it will be worth it in the end.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Using Ear Mountain's basic plan you can also "close the loop" with a bicycle. The only difference is that instead of hitching back to camp, you ride a bike. It takes about 2.5 hours to ride from Bowman to Kintla. Arrange with the camp steward to lock the bike to a nearby tree. At the end of the trip you have to drive back to the starting point to retrieve the bike. Of course this only works if you have the extra day and a bicycle but it allows a single hiker to do the whole trip unaided.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I like that bike idea.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Camping”