Father/Son Camping Trip

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Okla89er

Father/Son Camping Trip

Post by Okla89er »

Howdy
What a pleasure to find this forum! I lead a father/son group of about 20 from my church in Oklahoma on a camping trip each summer. After 4 consecutive trips to Yellowstone (with which I am quite well versed), we are journeying this year to Glacier, where I have been only once before, and where I have never camped. I would like to submit a brief overview of our trip for your review and suggestions.

Friday July 7: Depart Oklahoma 5:00 AM, drive straight through to East Glacier,

Saturday July 8: Arrive around sunrise for some animal viewing in the Two Medicine

Area. Breakfast at the Glacier Park Lodge. Travel north through St. Mary’s to the Canadian border and on the Waterton Townsite,, where we will camp for 2 nights

Sunday July 9: Take boat to Goat Haunt, then hike the Waterton Lake trail back to camp

Monday July 10: Moving camp to St Mary KOA. Short afternoon hikes in Many Glacier Swift Current area. Evening animal viewing in same.

Tuesday July 11: Grinnell Glacier Hike

Wednesday July 12: Travel GTTS Rd; Wild Goose Island, Sunrift Gorge, Hidden Lake
Trail of the Cedars, etc.

Thursday July 13: High Line Trail hike

Friday July 14: Heading for home. We’ll probably have to drive through YNP & GTNP.
After all, we have to drive home some way.

Steve
old_hiker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Before Giving Suggestions What Age Group Are The Children

Post by old_hiker »

For Your Info-- There is not much to the hike along the trail back to Waterton from Goat H its mostly level & in the trees & bit of brush.
Talk nice to the owner or sons at boat dock, previous & in private, they are good people & usually with a larger group give a better rate.
At Goat Haunt--Kootnai lake usually has moose (plus bugs) its a mile or so up the trail & its level. Just a few things to get Ya thinkin John
Ref

Post by Ref »

You don't say where you will be staying on the night of the 12th, so I'll assume it's the St. Mary KOA. If so, you'll be doing a lot of driving that day -- all the way from one end of the GTTS Road to the other, then back again -- if you plan to go to the west side of the park for Trail of the Cedars, which isn't worth it, in my opinion. Trail of the Cedars is basically a very short boardwalk stroll. The Avalanche Lake trail is at the same trailhead, and is a much better alternative. However, that still leaves you with a lot of in-the-car time that could be better spent doing other things.

Rather than spend all that time in the car, I'd look for alternatives along the GTTS Raod between St. Mary and Logan Pass. You've already mentioned Wild Goose Island, which is simply a stop on the road at a turnout, Sunrift Gorge, which is quite short and won't take much time, and Hidden Lake, which is at the Logan Pass visitor center and is an excellent choice for a very scenic hike. You might also want to check out St. Mary Falls/Virginia Falls, which is a short, easy hike.

Instead of short afternoon hikes in the Many Glacier area on the 10th, you might want to try for Iceberg Lake, depending on what time you arrive. It's highly scenic and is one of the most popular hikes in the park.

For evening animal viewing in the Many Glacier area, check out the slopes behind the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn for a good chance to spot sheep, goats, and bears. Bring binoculars. In addition, the rangers often set up a spotting scope in the parking lot.

As for the Highline Trail, check out my post in the hiking section of this board (some people refer to it as the "Hockey Ref Hike"). If you can arrange it transportation-wise, and if your group is up to its length, I highly recommend going all the way to Granite Park Chalet, then over Swiftcurrent Pass and down into the valley back to the Many Glacier area. It will be the highlight of your trip.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Hockey Ref
grizzlyguy

Breakfast in East Glacier

Post by grizzlyguy »

I recommend anyplace in town EXCEPT the lodge to eat. The scoop is that the Villager will be open this summer and they are far and away the best. This, by the way, was verified by the New York Times travel editor when they did their story on East Glacier.

The lodge is great to visit and take in the atmosphere but avoid the food.

--Sam
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Tara »

ONe thought about your Waterton plans...have you been to the campsite before? Its someplace I personally would never camp...in the middle of town and very few trees, just sites pretty much on top of each other. Just wanted to mention that in case you weren't aware. kids probably won't care.

I also agree with Ref about the best use of your time to avoid all that car time...I would definitely recommend more hiking in Many Glacier vs. Avalanch or Trail of the Cedars too.
Okla89er

Thanks for the suggestions!

Post by Okla89er »

I appriciate all your input. Some of my plans involve compromises dictated by the size and age diversity (ages 8 to 65) of our group. I will difinitely seek out another place for breakfast our first morning. I just wanted to show the gang the lodge. As far as Waterton Townsite campground is concerned, I would certainly camp elsewhere were I not with a group. Some of our party are very gung ho back county guys, while others consider walking from one end of the mall to the other to be hiking. The Townsite allows the latter to knock around the town while the rest are out hiking. I would not choose this site were I on my own.

Thanks also for the addtional trail suggestions, I'll certainly look into tweaking things. Thanks again!

Steve
Tara

Post by Tara »

That makes sense...just wanted to make sure you were aware of what the campground was like! As for breakfast, I think there is a place called Thimbleberry's or something like that...on your way toward the park from the lodge (not in downtown East Glacier). I have heard good things but we never actually ate there. Or...you could always just have a snack at the lodge and REAL breakfast at the Park Cafe in St. Mary...best breakfast in the park!
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Tara wrote:That makes sense...just wanted to make sure you were aware of what the campground was like! As for breakfast, I think there is a place called Thimbleberry's or something like that...on your way toward the park from the lodge (not in downtown East Glacier). I have heard good things but we never actually ate there. Or...you could always just have a snack at the lodge and REAL breakfast at the Park Cafe in St. Mary...best breakfast in the park!
Last time I stayed in East Glacier (2 years ago) Thimbleberrys was closed for an unknown reason. They had great breakfasts there, so I was somewhat dissappointed about that. I hope they'll be open this year.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I'm pretty sure they were open last summer...there were cars there, unless they were for something else. It looked open. We just were never there at breakfast time. We did hit the deli next door (Brownies) for GIANT cookies!
gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack »

Over the years that we've been going to the park, Thimbleberry's has had the weirdest hours. Sometimes they aren't open for days, then all of a sudden they are open from breakfast til dinner. Last year we drove by it and the windows were closed and boarded up. But I had heard that they were open just days before. But their food is very good, especially the huckleberry pie (in season). One time I went there and they seemed to have huckleberries on everything, from pancakes, to salads, even in steak sauce. The first time we did Dawson Pass, about 6 years ago, we missed the boat coming back (by quite a lot) and had to hike along Rising Wolf in the dark to get back to the car. It was late by the time we got back, and later still when we pulled into East Glacier. We were very dusty from the trail, and we walked into Thimbleberry's just as they were closing. They stayed open an extra 45 minutes for us, and made us some excellent dinners (and dessert), and they never once made us feel like they were in a hurry. Very nice people.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”