Belly river vs. gunsight pass

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

danlowery

Belly river vs. gunsight pass

Post by danlowery »

We will be in glacier September 9-14 and have several hikes planned. We would like your suggestions about either hiking belly river beginning at customs and ending in mg vs doing gunsight pass- sperry chalet hike ending near lake mcd. We will have two cars so transportation logistics won't be a problem. Just curious to know which hike you guys prefer over the other and why. Thanks!
pitamakan
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Belly river vs. gunsight pass

Post by pitamakan »

Strong vote for Gunsight here ... an amazing diversity of views overall, and I think the stretch of trail between Gunsight and Lincoln passes is one of the coolest in the park. Lots of mountain goats, the possibility to go up Lincoln Peak if you have a bit of time, and the chance to see Sperry Chalet (though it will be closed for the season by then).

That said, the north approach to Ptarmigan Tunnel is utterly amazing.
danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Thanks pit! Is the Lincoln peak doable in one day with the rest of hike?
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

danlowery wrote:Thanks pit! Is the Lincoln peak doable in one day with the rest of hike?
It's doable, provided you're in good shape, have the motivation, and get an early start. Might add an hour or so to the trip. Gunsight is a fairly strenuous day hike as-is, though, so most day-hikers skip the side trips.

Mark
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Both are good options; you win either way....

But Gunsight Pass route has a special place in my heart...the 8 miles from Gunsight Campground to Sperry campground are all spectacular...you can stop at chalet, and you can do the amazing side hike up to Sperry Glacier (definitely worth an extra night at Sperry Campground if you can get it)...but know that the first 6 miles are only ordinary (to Gunsight Campground) and that the last 6 miles are basically a downhill staircase with no views to Lake McD...
danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Thanks for your replies. I am intrigued with the Lincoln peak option. I would like some more information about it bc I am not sure I would know the route etc. recommendations? Easy to locate?
Thanks
Jen

Post by Jen »

danlowery wrote:Thanks for your replies. I am intrigued with the Lincoln peak option. I would like some more information about it bc I am not sure I would know the route etc. recommendations? Easy to locate?
Thanks
The climbers guide says Lincoln Pass is about a mile from Sperry Chalet. The off trail route is a scramble of 164 feet to the summit. (according to Summitpost.org) Family Friendly and very easy to locate. Do it!
orin

Post by orin »

The side trail to Lincoln Peak requires no route finding. Just follow the obvious way trail up the knob when you get to Lincoln Pass above Sperry.

I think I prefer the Chief Mt to Many route unless you have an extra day for Sperry Glacier. I think the overall quality of the entire route is a little higher. Most people wouldn't want to do Gunsight and the glacier in one day. But as Toddnick says you really can't go wrong either way.
danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Thanks everyone! I would like to try the Lincoln peak side trail. To clarify, it is right off Lincoln pass and seperated from sperry glacier side trail correct?
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

danlowery wrote:Thanks everyone! I would like to try the Lincoln peak side trail. To clarify, it is right off Lincoln pass and seperated from sperry glacier side trail correct?
Yep, when you get to Lincoln Pass just head up the ridge immediately to the left ... can't miss it, and technical skills not required.

It's also fun to venture off the trail to the left just before the final ascent to Lincoln Pass, to look down at Lincoln Lake and the waterfall there. It's as spectacular as it gets.
danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Awesome! Thanks again. Would you recommend hiking from Logan area to lake mcd or vice versa?
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Do it from Gunsight Trailhead to Lake McDonald...

That slog the first day up to Sperry would be brutal with full pack if you started at Lake McD....also you would finish going up about 800 feet in the last few miles to get to Gunsight Trailhead....
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

I'm in the vast minority, but I did gunsight backwards last year (lake mcdonald to jackson overlook) and was glad I did. Granted my situation is a little unique as my knees are trashed already at the ripe old age of 27.

Lake McDonald to Jackson overlook is by far the more difficult route... but oh man was I glad I did it that way. Going down from gunsight pass to ellen willson is steep... and I was super glad I didn't make the hike down from sperry to lake mcdonald. It IS a slog, but oh so much nicer on the joints.

Just something for the traveler with joint issues to consider. If you are in shape, I'd highly recommend that direction as its pretty easy on the joints going "backwards".

Return to “Hiking”