Good Idea? Or Not?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Good Idea? Or Not?

Post by PeteE »

There are many people who put in for their favorite backpack trip every season only to be perennially disappointed.
Bad luck in the draw.

In theory this idea will work because it doesn't radically alter the current random number assignment draw currently used.
The software changes might be/should be pretty simple, but knowing how "systems in the Federal Bureaucracy " work, maybe not 8)

This is an idea I borrowed from Montana Fish, Wildlife,and Parks.
Moose tags are issued in a random draw. Due to the limited number of tags available, the odds of being drawn are very low.
The system allows unsuccessful applicants to get a "bonus" point for the next season's draw(for a small fee).
Applicants can get a bonus point every year until they get drawn.
For example, if you have 4 bonus points for the coming season, you will have your name "put in the hat 5 times" for that draw.
It's still a long shot, but that system does improve your odds over time.

Could this idea be applied to certain highly desired itineraries like:
1) BOW--KIN semi loop
2)The Northern Traverse
3 The Northern Circle
4) Jackson Overlook to Lake McDonald (Gunsight Pass)
5) Old Man Lake to St Mary via Triple Divide

The campsites on the itineraries would have to be specific--The BC Office will define the specific campsites for these itineraries.
And so each time you applied for one of these special itineraries, and were unsuccessful, you would get an "extra draw" for the next year.
Again, as in the moose draw, your odds are improved, if only marginally.

Yes, I know it's not absolutely "fair" for each and every applicant. I just don't know that everything in life has to be "fair", and this is an example of that feeling.
I'm just not much of an "egalitarian" am I? 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Good Idea? Or Not?

Post by Heff936 »

Interesting idea. I've been quite successful in getting the route I want one way or another but I wonder if this approach would simply increase further the competition for these high priority routes?

It seems like the number of people seeking backcountry permits is rising each year. I checked the advance reservation availability page and basically it looks like August and the first half of September is pretty much already full. So I am expecting either a completely different itinerary than requested or a rejection. I've never received a rejection in large measure because I try to leave as much flexibility as I can.

Heff
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Good Idea? Or Not?

Post by PeteE »

My blood sugar must have been off when I thought this idea up.
I see lots of things wrong aftwer thinking about it...among them fraud issues :(
My bad
Sorry :(
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Backcountry Permits”