Booked Airfare and Car Rental for August 2015 Trip

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mellicon

Booked Airfare and Car Rental for August 2015 Trip

Post by mellicon »

Yay! I booked my air and car today for an 11 day mid August trip. Just wanted to share with people who I know will understand. :D

This will be my 3rd trip to Glacier. With so many places to see in the world and so little vacation time, I try to avoid repeat travel destinations, but Glacier is special (and I had no luck booking huts to hike in Iceland. :D ).

Traveling from RDU. I had to shop around a bit this time. I've always flown into FCA and love the convenience, but fares were super high for decent flight times. I looked at GTF, which was better but not ideal. Then after a quick search here for ideas, I checked out MSO and found the best combination of options and costs. I'm still not thrilled with the rental car price, but I'll keep shopping around.

Please let me know if you have any tips / hints / suggestions about traveling from Missoula to West Glacier. Now I need to get in shape!
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Booked Airfare and Car Rental for August 2015 Trip

Post by July Guy »

If you take 93, I would be very aware of the several small towns that are close to the road and also close to the lake. As you drive along Flathead Lake you will need to Slow down in these towns (they sneak up on you and before you know it you'll be driving 25 mph). Lots of "children at play". It's not a cruise control drive and will take longer than the mileage would suggest.

There will be a number of pullouts for views of the Lake. If you like jerky there is a place worth stopping.

have fun.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by PeteE »

Please let me know if you have any tips / hints / suggestions about traveling from Missoula to West Glacier.
I drove back and forth to Missoula from here in Whitefish nearly every weekend for 5 years when I was dating my former, last g/f 8)
I MUCH prefer the following route:

Follow the directions to I-90 from the airport. Easy since the airport is right by I-90.
I90 and MT 200 are the same road at this point
Take I-90/MT200 EAST.
After about 10-15 miles?, you'll see the Canyon River Golf course on your left.
Shortly after that you will see the Bonner/MT200 exit. MT200 leaves I-90 here.
Follow MT200 to Clearwater Junction--A "T" intersection with a gas station and rest area. You can't miss it.
Turn LEFT/North on to MT83. The signs will say Seeley Lake 14 miles.
You stay on MT 83 for about the next 90 miles. ZERO traffic lights driving the Seeley Swan route. :mrgreen:
You have to slow down for 5 mins going through Seeley Lake and Swan Lake--not at all for Condon, the only other town in that 90 mile stretch.
MT83 will intersect MT 35 near Big Fork at "The Little Brown Church".
Turn RIGHT/North on MT 35
About 2-3 miles past the small community of Creston, you'll see the Creston School on your right, you will come to a T-intersection, gas station, etc.
Turn RIGHT/North on MT 206. Signs will be for Columbia Falls. 206 will bring you to Columbia Heights which is just east of the bridge over the Flathead river.
You will then be on US2 15 mins from West Glacier. :mrgreen:

This route is HANDS DOWN a much better drive than going up the west side of Flathead lake on US 93--imo 8)
You do need to watch for animals on this route through the Swan.
I've seen bears, moose, elk on the road at different times of the day, mostly morning and evening.
And deer may be crossing the road the whole way.
It's a beautiful drive imo.
My instructions may sound complicated , but the route is really easy to follow.
Look at it on Google :)

Hope this helps!

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

macchia wrote:
Please let me know if you have any tips / hints / suggestions about traveling from Missoula to West Glacier.
I drove back and forth to Missoula from here in Whitefish nearly every weekend for 5 years when I was dating my former, last g/f 8)
I MUCH prefer the following route:

Follow the directions to I-90 from the airport. Easy since the airport is right by I-90.
I90 and MT 200 are the same road at this point
Take I-90/MT200 EAST.
After about 10-15 miles?, you'll see the Canyon River Golf course on your left.
Shortly after that you will see the Bonner/MT200 exit. MT200 leaves I-90 here.
Follow MT200 to Clearwater Junction--A "T" intersection with a gas station and rest area. You can't miss it.
Turn LEFT/North on to MT83. The signs will say Seeley Lake 14 miles.
You stay on MT 83 for about the next 90 miles. ZERO traffic lights driving the Seeley Swan route. :mrgreen:
You have to slow down for 5 mins going through Seeley Lake and Swan Lake--not at all for Condon, the only other town in that 90 mile stretch.
MT83 will intersect MT 35 near Big Fork at "The Little Brown Church".
Turn RIGHT/North on MT 35
About 2-3 miles past the small community of Creston, you'll see the Creston School on your right, you will come to a T-intersection, gas station, etc.
Turn RIGHT/North on MT 206. Signs will be for Columbia Falls. 206 will bring you to Columbia Heights which is just east of the bridge over the Flathead river.
You will then be on US2 15 mins from West Glacier. :mrgreen:

This route is HANDS DOWN a much better drive than going up the west side of Flathead lake on US 93--imo 8)
You do need to watch for animals on this route through the Swan.
I've seen bears, moose, elk on the road at different times of the day, mostly morning and evening.
And deer may be crossing the road the whole way.
It's a beautiful drive imo.
My instructions may sound complicated , but the route is really easy to follow.
Look at it on Google :)

Hope this helps!

I Agree if one has the time. The same holds true for slowing down in towns as lots of kids running around of 4 wheelers and such. I find this route to be so nice that I sometimes have a hard time keeping my eyes on the road. I let folks pass me on this route and enjoy it very much.

The 'Filling Station' in Seeley Lake has good pie.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hi July Guy:

It's true it's slightly longer in miles and time going through Seeley lake, but only about a 1/2 hour in my experience.

And I never drive over the speed limit--which is 70mph most of the way, including MT200, MT83, and MT35.
It used to take me right at 3:00-plus depending on time of day and traffic to get to g/f's house in the southern hills above the Super Walmart on Brooks.
There were times when I drove down in the late afternoon, that I would see fewer than 5-6 cars between Swan lake and Seeley lake :shock: Seriously.
And more than one Monday morning returning, I'd leave Missoula at 0430 and see NO cars between Seeley lake and Swan Lake...and be at work well before 0800.
I forgot to add that when going over that small ridge just north of Seeley Lake, watch out for animals.
They like to cross the road coming off the ridge while making their way to Lake Inez and Lake Alva.
It's more of a problem in the winter though.

So yes, one can make better time on US93.
But US93 is a "boreass" drive imo with the exception of the views you mentioned of Flathead Lake.
However, driving through all those lil towns is annoying.
And one dare NOT speed on the rez south of Polson.
US93 is just too busy for me, or maybe I'm just losing more and more of my patience in my old age. 8)
Yeah that's it :mrgreen:

cheers

PS
The "filling station" pie 8)
Hehehe, I stopped there more times than I can remember.
The local "geezers" like me hang out there mornings drinking coffee and gossiping.
Kids use the free WiFi.
One of the former partners I worked for brother owns this business.
http://www.seeleysportrentals.com/
Good folks. Seeley Lake is a nice town.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

C
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mellicon

Post by mellicon »

Thank you all very much for the feedback, tips, and hints!

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”