No shuttle = NEED A RIDE...

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

amac
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

No shuttle = NEED A RIDE...

Post by amac »

Hi all. I'll be in GNP starting this weekend and was bummed to hear the Park's shuttle system will not be operational until July 1. I am planning to hike the Highline to Swiftcurrent Lookout and end at Many Glacier Hotel. My plan was to drop my rental at Many and catch the shuttle to Logan Pass visitor center. What are the odds I catch a ride from Many to Logan early Sunday morning? Is there anyone here planning to be headed my way that's willing to lend a hand? I'll be dropping my wife and two son's at Logan, so it will be just me. If not, I've got plan B.

Thanks in advance.

adam
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Re: No shuttle = NEED A RIDE...

Post by scott-atl »

probably not doable unless you have an ice ax, crampons, and ice/snow mountaineering skills.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I was going to make a comment about the road not being open yet, but you're talking this weekend, and the road will likely be open. As per Pete's video, the section of the HIghline beyond the hose is still deep in snow. It sounds like Swiftcurrent pass is doable. If you're willing to hike up to the Highline from the road (never heard of anyone doing that), or start at the loop, I think the rest should be passable.

I've looked at hiking up Piegan (from MG) hitching to Logan, and then hiking back to MG. I think it's 28 miles. That's another option.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I would check with the Rangers at Swiftcurrent before trying to go over Swiftcurrent Pass.

This is a cut and paste from this page today.
http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/t ... s.cfm?t=MG

=========================================================================
Bullhead Lake to Swiftcurrent Pass / 2.7 mi.
Trail is clear of downed trees and free of snow up through the last switchback below the pass. Intermittent snow drifts in last 3/4 mile require care in crossing and last half mile is 70% covered with low angle snow that requires route finding skills.6/13/15 per 824 EBouf Foot Bridges at head of Swiftcurrent Valley are installed. small water crossings exist before the foot bridges. 6/10/15 per 852

STOCK ADVISORY: Trail between Bullhead Lake and Devil's Elbow is steep, narrow and not recommended for stock unless stock have experience on very narrow sections of trail. per 650

Per Bob Adams the south side of the Swift Current Valley trail opposite the MT Wilbur Climber approach has been closed due to a carcass near the trail and bear frequenting.

=======================================================================

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Yup sorry, that sounds like "passable" to me. No mention of "use extreme caution" or "ice ax recommended." But yeah, you should talk to the rangers. Maybe they'll ask what kind of pants you're planning on wearing. :D

As I walked by, I remember one ranger said to the group he was leading on Grinnell Glacier, "This guy knows what he's going. He's got an ice ax." I responded, "Looks can be deceiving." (The ice ax was brand new.)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
amac

Post by amac »

Yep, talked with the folks of the Back country office yesterday. The Highline isn't going to be open, so I'll just go in and out Swiftcurrent from MG. GTTS is expected to be open. I'm also planning to hit Siyeh Bend to Sunrift. According to the guy I talked with, that should also be good to go. Grinnell Glacier is up in the air. Anyone have a good hike suggestion? Something in the 10-12 mi range? Thanks

Amac
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

You might see me this weekend doing the Siyeh bend to Sunrift gorge hike--probably Saturday AM.
I know what you were told, but that assumes the trail is actually doable.
Early in the season that trail can have snow lingering in a few places that make it very dangerous.
Preston Park may have bears about as well.
This early in the year, the downhill portion past the pass often has large snow fields remaining that bury portions of the trail.
So if you are unfamiliar with the trail it's easy to get off on the wrong track.
So keep that in mind. Going over a cliff wouldn't be the best way to end your day 8)

If you see an old ragged-ass green Ford Ranger pickup, you'll know I'm out there.
I'm going to shoot for an 0700 start.
But I'm slow, so you may catch up to me 8)

PS
I'm not trying to talk you out of Siyeh Pass hike. It's one of my favorite hikes in GNP.
I just want you to be aware of the possible hazards.
And as Scott says below, Cracker Lake would be a good hike as well. No transport problems with Cracker Lake.

I'll be hitch hiking back to Siyeh Bend from Sunrift Gorge. 8)
Last edited by PeteE on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

I would recommend cracker lake. about 12 miles r/t. still pre-horse I think, no snow issues. right out of the MG parking lot. the siyeh pass hike has a north facing icey spot w exposure. probably doable but the real deal.
amac

Post by amac »

Thanks for the feedback. Macchia, I leave New Orleans Saturday morning. You're probably not that slow! :lol: I plan to contact the Park Ranger office tomorrow and try to get as up-to-date report as possible on Siyeh and other target hikes. I'll certainly look into Cracker Lake. I don't have real experience hiking snow trails and I'm not equipped for it, but that kind of thing never stopped me before. :twisted:

thanks for the insight. can't wait for sunday. : )
Nodust

Post by Nodust »

amac wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Macchia, I leave New Orleans Saturday morning. : )
A fellow Cajun?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

The Big Easy :)

The snow may not be an issue at all on the Siyeh hike. I just don't know.
If I can get by the narrow spot at the very top of the hike...
There's a natural "rock bench" there that many sit on to eat lunch and look down Boulder Creek drainage.
If that spot is open, I feel I can make it all the way after that.
I'll know when I get there. :)

And I'll post something Saturday night if you have internet access while you're traveling.

Do check with the rangers at Swiftcurrent.
Check to see if the "ranger led" hikes have begun. I don't know.
The ranger led hikes are a good deal for new visitors.

Make sure you have rain gear and some extra layers so that if it turns chilly, you'll be prepared.
Temps on the East side forecast to be in the 40's mornings and 60's later Sunday through Wednesday. 20-30% chance of T-storms.
That's as good as a forecast gets this time of year.
You're lucking out on the weather.

Iceberg Lake is one of Glacier's iconic hikes. And they do ranger led hikes to Iceberg too if you are interested.
It's about 9-10 miles round trip. The elevation change is modest. It's a good family hike.
If you feel energetic on the way back from Iceberg Lake, you can do all or part of the hike up to the ptarmigan tunnel.

Have fun

PS

I'm a redneck originally from Florida.
In the mid 60's I did once work on an ocean going tug boat and barge that picked up coal down in "coon-ass country". 8)
Wonderful people down there.
The port was up river from Port Sulfur someplace in the boondocks LOL!!

George Carlin
amac

Post by amac »

Nodust wrote:
amac wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Macchia, I leave New Orleans Saturday morning. : )
A fellow Cajun?
Indeed. I live in Metairie. However, I am from Mobile, AL. Yep, I'm a BAMA guy! RTR.

Macchia, thanks again. I'll be sure to look for your trail report. This is a return visit for me and my family. Last visit, we hiked Iceberg Lake, Highline to the Loop and Dawson Pass. My boys are two years older and I want to push them a little further. They are excited about encountering snow. They don't realize the potential danger. :o On our trips, we tend to overpack! I'll be the guy with too much gear, a LARGE camera attached to my chest and a Tilley on my head. But my shoes are broken in and my legs are strong and ready to hike. :wink:

amac
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Macchia, thanks again. I'll be sure to look for your trail report.
I'll try my best to get a report and pics up tomorrow evening. Siyeh will be a great hike for you and the boys if it's "doable".

later

George Carlin

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”