Sperry Chalet

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ThomasMore
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sperry Chalet

Post by ThomasMore »

Ten years ago my wife and I stayed at Sperry Chalet. It was the last summer that a family, who had the license to operate the dining area for about 50 years, was to have the contract. We haven't been back since, but we are thinking about marching up there in 2016. My wife and I both agreed that the food was fantastic and it was obvious that the family was VERY concerned on offering a first class eating experience. It has been my experience that when a great eating establishment changes hands, the quality of the food tubes. Can anyone comment of the current status of the quality of the food? Thanks! Tom
Jen

Re: Sperry Chalet

Post by Jen »

"Thanksgiving in September"

The other 2 dinners during our stay this year were Roast Beef and Thai Chicken.

Soup/salad and dessert are included.

Albert, the baker, has been providing homemade breads and pastries for something like 11 years.

You will not be disappointed. :mrgreen:
ThomasMore

Post by ThomasMore »

Love it!!!!!!!! The picture says it all. I wish there was a way to send the photo to my wife. THANK YOU JEN!!
Tom
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

As Jen indicated, Sperry Chalet continues to serve wonderful meals. :D

However I think it is a mistake to say that the Chalet has changed hands. Both Sperry and Granite Park Chalet have been operated by the Ross and Kay Luding family since the 1950s. Although the concession contract has come up for renewal from time to time (the most recent about two years ago I think), it has fortunately always been awarded to the corporation owned by the Luding family. Various family members have participated in the operation of the Chalets at different times, for example, their daughter, Barb, was the manager at Sperry Chalet when we were there in 2001. The managers and chalet employees may change from year to year but the family corporation still operates the chalets. Others on the Chat may be able to provide further information.

http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/hungry ... f887a.html

Hope you have a great stay at the Chalet next year.

Lyman
DayTripper

Post by DayTripper »

Tom,

As Jen and Lyman have posted the meals at Sperry Chalet are very good. We were lucky to spend two nights there this summer during August. Just after we checked in my wife and I shared lunch. It consisted of a grilled cheese (cheddar) and turkey sandwiches , pretzels and a dill pickle.

The first evenings meal consisted of a salad, roasted tomato soup w/ buttermilk bread, roast beef w/ broccoli & scalloped potatoes, and white cake with caramel drizzle. It was all very good.

Breakfast at the chalet is also great. The first morning I had scrambled eggs, hot cakes and bacon. To mix it up a little, the second morning I had oatmeal instead of the hotcakes.

They provide you with the option of a sack lunch. I forget all the choices, but I enjoyed a roast beef sandwich on buttermilk bread on the trail back from Comeau Pass. AHHHH, so good!

The second evenings dinner consisted of: cucumber salad, lemon onion soup w/ bread, thai chicken w/ mixed vegetables, and lemon cake. I joked with the staff that there was a rumor they were offering pie (Pie For Strength), they just laughed! We missed out on the Thanksgiving Dinner--next time.

With the lunch they pack in some kind of cookie. The first day it was a snicker doodle, the second day it was chic chip. I saved the snicker doodle for our Swiftcurrent Pass hike, and the choc chip I managed to save till I was home finalizing some photos of the trip.

I hope you make the trip to Sperry Chalet, as you see they are continuing the tradition of great food service.

Happy Trails,
Day Tripper

Return to “Lodging”