First GNP Trip: Oct 10-16 (TY PETE!)

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

brad_a_allen
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

First GNP Trip: Oct 10-16 (TY PETE!)

Post by brad_a_allen »

Hi all,

I'm just settling down and unwinding after a great trip to Glacier last week. It was my first time in the park (and first time in Montana), and just incredible. I have to give all of the credit to (1) unseasonable weather - it was sunny and clear every day, with highs in the mid 50s to low 60s, and 30s-40s at night, and....

(2) Pete! What an absolutely amazing guy. We met at the airport and he got me situated with food and additional camping gear. We then had lunch and planned out a few potential routes I could follow/hike over the next week. I feel really lucky to have had his guidance, and am glad we were able to get a hike in together at the end of the trip.

I had been wanting to go to Glacier for a few years now, and found the opportunity during a two-week break between jobs. Since I was going out by myself (and trying to meet folks at Glacier to hike with), I tried to plan an open-ended trip depending on what would become available to me. First thing I found was that much of the park was shutting down - many campsites were closed, and those that were open, were in "primitive" status. Ptarmigan Tunnel was closed. Also, Going-to-the-Sun road was closed after Logan Pass, and I believe was no longer open at Logan after Oct 16th.

So, there was an extra ~1 hr of driving around the bottom of the park to get to the East side, which was fine because everything is gorgeous. I picked up an Elizabeth Lake permit after spending my first night at Apgar, and drove to Many Glacier hoping to find folks I could persuade to do the backpacking with me. At MG, I found many similar hikers (folks by themselves, looking to clear their heads) - none particularly interested in a group hike :) .

A benefit to this, though - I got to do Cracker Lake, Grinnell Glacier, Swiftcurrent Pass (and then Highline with Pete) and there were 2, 12, 7, and 6 people on the trails those days, respectively. It was enough that I didn't feel completely alone - but I also really never saw anyone except for the points in which we passed each other. There were quite a few grizzly sightings by others in the camp, but none by me (which was fine). I did pass mountain goats, grouse, and mule deer on the trail. At Cracker Lake, I stood over the Flats and there was a herd of 50-60 elk about 50 yds off of the trail.

I also had steak at the Cattle Baron Supper Club in Babb - insanely good - and had quite a few beers at the Stonefly Lounge in Coram as Stanford whipped up on UCLA. It was a great introduction to the park, and I'll definitely be back. With what I know now, my itinerary would be to (1) bring a buddy, (2) backpack Belly River, and (3) do it in early- to mid-September as things are winding down but still open.

Thank you again, Pete! My photos are here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d84470ed9f

By the way, I am happy to attach some photos in another posting - but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in this chat!! I'm not having any trouble with the dancing bananas, though.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Brad
Jen

Re: First GNP Trip: Oct 10-16 (TY PETE!)

Post by Jen »

Time to start planning for 2016! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Welcome to the Chat, Brad! A solo trip to Glacier in mid-October shows you have a great sense of adventure! Your photos are so crisp, clear and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I love the fall colors.

Tina
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

Hey Brad!!

Sorry for being so late in replying.
I left Thursday afternoon to drive to a cabin a friend rented to stay the night.
I wanted to be out there so I wouldn't have to drive/ride 3 hours before doing the Mt Hefty hike.
More on that in my TR later.

Thanks for the kind words Brad. It was both fun and a pleasure to help out a little.
I get a lot of pleasure out of helping someone have a good experience in GNP.
I only wish I had been able to have more time off to hike with you.

I did have fun doing the Highline and Grinnell overlook with you.
That hike went by quickly for me mostly due to the terrific conversation(s) we had about a broad range of topics.
Folks, Brad is a very bright fellow who has done some really cool work in some areas that are on the cutting edge as they say.
He's also a big fan of our National Parks. I hope to see and hike with you again some day.
And please tell your friends back in the Bay Area to come see us here next season!!
Glacier National Park is the premier US park for hikers and backpackers 8)
Ask anyone here :)
It was a pleasure Brad

cheers

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Trip Reports”