Rest Stop in Many Glacier

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Rest Stop in Many Glacier

Post by teapot57 »

I passed through the east side of Park a few weeks ago-- October 8 to be exact.

I took a quick side trip into Many Glacier to see the fall colors. The weather was gorgeous that day. Clear to the east, but some ominous clouds were passing over the Divide.

There were very few hikers in the area. I saw 2 cars in the Many Glacier Hotel parking lot, 2 at the Iceberg Lake trailhead, maybe 5 at the Grinnell Glacier Trailhead, and only about 5 or so campsites taken at the campground.

What I did see a lot of were construction workers. There was work happening on the Many Glacier Road, and quite a bit of activity at the hotel. I was really surprised to see sections of the hotel painted grey . . . I'm thinking this must be an undercoating of some sort.

There was also a crew pulling shingles off the roof of the building on the left side of the road as you drive up to the hotel. The one that is connected to the bridge that goes over the road. I didn't get a picture of it, but it might be used to house employees or something.

Anyway, I didn't stay long but it was nice to see Many Glacier in the fall. I actually saw more big born sheep on Altyn than people.
Jen

Re: Rest Stop in Many Glacier

Post by Jen »

Nice rest stop, Teapot!

Thanks for the pre-winter update!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Return to “Trip Reports”