Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Post by July Guy »

Great trip report Jen.

You should think about moving out to Montana. I've heard it's pretty all year round.

JG

:wink: :wink:
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by PeteE »

I agree. Moving to Montana would be a good idea for you 8)
The truth is, the weather kinda sucks some winter days, e.g. during "valley inversions", but I still love it here. 8)

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

PeteE wrote:Moving out of Ill. would be a good idea for anyone considering the fiscal situation in Ill. 8)

pete :wink:
I thought we agreed we would not discuss that topic here. :roll:
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Nice report Jen! Sorry you got injured but it looks like you made the best of it.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen,

That is a great report. I think Maia is doing wonderful. We took our kids on their first trip to Glacier in 2001 including three nights at Sperry. Before we went, Christi was appalled to hear that there would be no showers there and she would be unable to wash her hair. Then ten years later she is hiking the Appalachian Trail and washing her hair once every three weeks whether she needs to or not. That is the influence that Glacier has on kids.

Please impress on Maia the importance of keeping a lookout for Laundromats anywhere near or in the Park, especially East Glacier. She may as well learn that while she is young.

Glad to hear that your surgery went well and hope your recovery is going well.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

July Guy wrote:Great trip report Jen.

You should think about moving out to Montana. I've heard it's pretty all year round.

JG

:wink: :wink:
Yes, pretty. But I have heard that all of my favorite eating establishments all close up by November. I don't think I would last very long without my beloved bear claws and asparagus omelets! :wink:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jen wrote:Yes, pretty. But I have heard that all of my favorite eating establishments all close up by November. I don't think I would last very long without my beloved bear claws and asparagus omelets! :wink:
Where are you getting your "beloved bear claws" and "asparagus omelets" back home?
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Ear Mountain wrote:
Jen wrote:Yes, pretty. But I have heard that all of my favorite eating establishments all close up by November. I don't think I would last very long without my beloved bear claws and asparagus omelets! :wink:
Where are you getting your "beloved bear claws" and "asparagus omelets" back home?
Good point.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

It's been awhile since we've heard from Jen about the knee recovery. Just wondering how things are going with that? Hope by now you are much better.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Jen

Post by Jen »

calicotraveler wrote:It's been awhile since we've heard from Jen about the knee recovery. Just wondering how things are going with that? Hope by now you are much better.
'The Knee' is progressing nicely. I am still working on getting full extension. My natural stance is hyper-extension and I am beginning to think I may never get back to that. Not sure if that is good or bad. I was slacking on any PT this week. We have had a lot going on with some personal family stuff, so I apologize for not seeing this until now. Thank you for asking :)
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Glad to hear your knee is getting better. You really were amazing the way you hiked on that bum knee.

I also went through a knee surgery 2 weeks ago, but compared to what you had done my surgery was minor. I finally bit the bullet and decided that 7 months was long enough waiting for it to "heal on it's own". I couldn't walk without limping on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. Doc trimmed a torn meniscus and smoothed off some arthritis. Arthroscopic. I can tell already that this is going to be a good thing. Last summer in Glacier I could hike no trails except the low and slow ones. No alpine (my favorite) hiking at all. Obviously I am not as tough as you are. With any luck things will be better for both of us by the time we get back to Glacier.

I think we take for granted how nice it is to do an activity until we can't do it for awhile. I don't have the hyper-extension going on that you had with your leg previously but I am slightly bowlegged which over time tends to damage the medial meniscus. I have some small inserts now for shoes to help with the bowlegs issue.

I hope that you continue to heal and get that knee back to what it was!
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Trip Reports”