Medicine Grizzly Lake

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Babyt413
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Medicine Grizzly Lake

Post by Babyt413 »

Medicine Grizzly Lake!!

This is an awesome, beautiful Lake! Great hike! I highly recommend this hike to anyone who has the time!

It is about 12 Miles Round Trip, to the Lake and back out. The great thing about this hike, aside from the amazing Lake and wonderful views. Is the fact that it is one of Glacier's hidden gems. Glacier's little secrets. Those "trails less traveled" type places. Most people walk past the junction to this lake on their way to Triple Divide Pass.

The Trailead is located in the Cut Bank area of the Park. It is right next to the Cut Bank Campground.

The day I hiked it, I believe was on Tuesday, July 29, 2014. I was with my friends Kacey, Kendra and Tyler aka Chris. This was our first visit and hike to this particular area of the Park.

The entire area of Cut Bank is amazing! I really love this area of the Park.

The day we did this hike was beautiful! Blue skies without a cloud in the sky! Picture perfect day! And the morning drive heading over to the Cut Bank area did not disappoint.....the morning and views were spectacular....

As if those views and the morning were not incredible enough...we were just about to turn off onto the dirt road that leads to the Cut Bank Campground as I saw something sitting on top of a tree. Low and behold it was a Red-Tailed Hawk perched on top! The blue skies made for an awesome backdrop for these photos!

It had that feeling....that feeling of some Glacier Magic! You could just tell it was going to be a great day! The views, the weather, the Hawk!

Onward to the Trailhead! We were all beyond excited to get started!

The trail begins in a meadow that was absolutely teeming with wildflowers!

Bad Marriage Mountain dominates the view. Hmmmm, interesting mountain name. I should have seen that as some sort of sign..... hahaha :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

The trail continues on and you follow the North Fork of the Cut Bank Creek for most of the hike. You actually get a few really nice views of the Creek below and beside you. The views, Creek and Wildflowers are never ending on this trail!

As you follow the Creek and bop into thick forested woods and then break out into open meadows again, you begin to see RazorEdge Mountain. Apparently the snowfield below the summit is permanent. This is what I have been told by several sources..

There were a ton of Huckleberry bushes along this part of the trail. Something I made sure to take full advantage of 8) 8)

I enjoyed a nice snack and the views before continuing on. Next up was the Trail Junction that heads toward Triple Divide Pass.

Before long we had reached Atlantic Creek Campground. A nice little backcountry campground. I think this is more of a "stop over" utility type Campground. I think people use this that are exploring the Cut Bank area and even heading toward the St Mary Valley or heading up to Triple Divide Pass.

The trail divides.....next stop...Medicine Grizzly Lake!!.....
PeteE

Re: Medicine Grizzly Lake

Post by PeteE »

Nice hike isn't it TJ.
Good shot of the Red-Tailed Hawk. No doubt about the ID of that bird! :)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Babyt413
Donator
Donator

Post by Babyt413 »

You now make your way up the Atlantic Creek Valley for almost 1.5 miles to Medicine Grizzly Lake.

Thus far, the trail has been in some heavily forested woods and then you would pop out into some beautiful, open meadows. Well now the trail is really about to open up!

RazorEdge Mountain really dominates your view now....and things really start to become, oh so Glacier wonderful!

You inch closer and closer... The fields and meadows you walk through as you get closer to the Lake appear to be something out of the Sound Of Music. At any moment I was expecting to see Julie Andrews pop out of the brush and serenade us :P :P :lol: :lol:

Soon, not long after those amazing meadows and fields....there it is! Medicine Grizzly Lake!!

The Beargrass was popping on this day in Late July! I love Beargrass! Something about it just screams Glacier and screams Alpine Wilderness!

Medicine Grizzly Lake is surrounded by Medicine Grizzly Peak, Razoredge Mountain and Triple Divide Peak. All three of these mountains provide towering walls to this beautiful lake. There are many waterfalls that cascade down to the Lake itself!

Noticably, while you arrive at the foot of the Lake, you notice some of these amazing cascades toward the head of the Lake. So we decided to take the stroll and make our way toward the head of the Lake for a nice lunch and break!

We ate and enjoyed the beautiful Lake! We had the place all to ourselves! In fact, we barely saw another soul the entire day! Remember what I said about the "path less traveled"! This part of Glacier really is quiet and offers plenty of solitude! I know the solo hikers that enjoy their peace and quiet would really enjoy this hike! You have a really good chance to not encounter anyone all day. Except for maybe some Wildlife, which is never a bad thing.

We headed back to the car. You do hike out on the same trail and route that you came in on. In and out.

This hike was in my Top 5 of the most underrated and prettiest hikes I did in Glacier. And I have pretty much done them all, with the exception of only a few. Do yourself a favor and get out to Medicine Grizzly Lake! It is great!!

I did forget to mention a HUGE Avalanche that took place sometime over the Winter/Spring of 2014 along this trail. As you will see from the pictures below, it had not been cleared away. And this was Late July! We had to navigate around and do a little bit of Route Finding in order to continue on toward the Lake. This was probably only a 1/2 Mile from the Lake itself. We had to crawl under and around many, many huge downed trees! It was quite a workout and adventure! A reminder to always check the Trail Status before heading out on the trails! Be prepared and safe!

Happy Trails Chatters! I hope you enjoyed this report! Many, many more to come over the coming days and weeks! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Babyt413
Donator
Donator

Post by Babyt413 »

PeteE wrote:Nice hike isn't it TJ.
Good shot of the Red-Tailed Hawk. No doubt about the ID of that bird! :)

pete :wink:

This hike is a beauty Pete! No doubt! I probably should have kept my big mouth shut and done a Trip Report on the Highline Trail instead haha :lol: :lol:

Keep this gem of a hike a nice little secret :wink:

And yes, there was no doubt on that birds identity haha
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Many thanks for a great trip report! I am putting together a list of some 'new' hikes to do on our next GNP visit, and Medicine Grizzly was one of the ones we were looking at. Your report seals the deal, so we will do the hike on our next trip, esp. since we have not yet visited the Cut Bank area! :D
Babyt413
Donator
Donator

Post by Babyt413 »

davidwayne wrote:Many thanks for a great trip report! I am putting together a list of some 'new' hikes to do on our next GNP visit, and Medicine Grizzly was one of the ones we were looking at. Your report seals the deal, so we will do the hike on our next trip, esp. since we have not yet visited the Cut Bank area! :D

No problem Davidwayne! Thanks for the kind words!!

Any questions, please feel free to message me. I always love to talk Glacier and try and help!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

There used to be a campsite at Medicine Grizzly Lake. I camped there two nights in 1973 and caught my first Montana trout there on that trip.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Babyt413
Donator
Donator

Post by Babyt413 »

Ear Mountain wrote:There used to be a campsite at Medicine Grizzly Lake. I camped there two nights in 1973 and caught my first Montana trout there on that trip.

Thats awesome Ear Mountain!!

Do you know when they shut down the campsite by any chance? Any reason? Not enough demand?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Babyt413 wrote:
Ear Mountain wrote:There used to be a campsite at Medicine Grizzly Lake. I camped there two nights in 1973 and caught my first Montana trout there on that trip.
Thats awesome Ear Mountain!! Do you know when they shut down the campsite by any chance? Any reason? Not enough demand?
I can't remember the year but it was most likely in the 1980s. Much like more recent problems at the Morning Star Lake campground the Medicine Grizzly trail and campsite were closed for long periods of time due to bear frequenting. Can't recall if there were any attacks but I do recall the long periods of closure. This coincided with a period when several campsites had the number of sites reduced. It was also the start of an effort to relocate other camps. Lake Francis went from 3 to 2 sites for example. Old Man Lake campsite was rebuilt and campsites were moved well back from the lake. Morning Star experienced the same thing in the last year or so. Can't recall all the details now. In any case the Medicine Grizzly Lake camp was closed and facilities there removed. The Atlantic Creek site was added to replace Medicine Grizzly Lake.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Thanks TJ.
Great memories!
We love the Medicine Grizz area. We have went over Triple Divide a couple times and always enjoy relaxing at the lake after a long hike. Last time we were there, we made our all the way up below the waterfall and caught some nice rainbows.
And yeah definite grizzly territory!

Doug and Anita
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

great report and pics. I've been to triple divide pass several times over the years but have never hiked to the lake. supposed to be excellent fishing there. I think that according to local lore, the medicine grizzly is a giant bear.

my understanding is the campground was closed because of several uncomfortable bear encounters.

Return to “Trip Reports”