Glacier vs Grant Teton

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

JohnsonA
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Glacier vs Grant Teton

Post by JohnsonA »

Hi
We're coming to Glacier in July so that isn't why I'm asking. My boss saw a thing on TV on Grand Teton NP and his wife says they're going. How would you compare GNP to GTNP. Glacier seems to offer so much scenery that its hard to imagine GTNP would be better but thought I'd ask.

Al
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Tara »

I've been going to the Tetons my whole life and Glacier for the past 13 years. In my opinion Glacier is the winner by far...much more spectacular scenery for one....you're surrounded by the mountains. I also like the variety of wildlife we see in Glacier...you don't usually see as many elk but we see so many bears in Glacier and all the other wildlife. I like Yellowstone a lot better than the Tetons too but Glacier is my first choice (and Yellowstone a close second).
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

I find it hard to compare them, they are two different enviroments, both are stunning, I find the pure experiance of the back country and hiking much better in Glacier, Teton seems to be less accessable for the normal visitor, and the trail system less comprehensive, opportunities for bears are far greater in Glacier, I like them both for my own reasons, but enjoy them each for their own unique aspects.

Dave
lonemanmtn

tetons and glacier

Post by lonemanmtn »

i love them both. grand teton is great to look at from the prairie; so majestic and stunning from the road. once you are inside the park and the mountains though, the views surprisingly, aren't as good if you were in glacier. hiking in grand teton is good, but glacier in my opinion, is far better for a true wilderness experience. grand teton will leave you with a "cowboy western feel". both are winners.
Pager

Love them both

Post by Pager »

I think they are both spectacular! I have always had a special place in my heart for the Tetons but Glacier was magnificent with much more easily visible wildlife. (Even though the Travel Channel says Grand Teton is the #1 park for wildlife and Glacier is #10, go figure!). Personally, if there are mountains involved, I'm pretty happy. My number one park is Rocky Mountain National Park.
Stevo

Re: Love them both

Post by Stevo »

Pager wrote:IMy number one park is Rocky Mountain National Park.
#2 for me. It is very scenic, but it just doesn't compare to the granduer of Glacier. I like being able to hike in RMNP and not worry about spooking a Grizzly feeding on berrys. In Glacier you have the stunning vistas that Rocky doesn't have.
Tara

Post by Tara »

They rate Glacier #10 for wildlife????? And the Tetons 1st? Where did they come up with that?
Pager...just curious what you like better about RMNP?
Pager

RMNP

Post by Pager »

I agree Glacier has sweeping vistas, maybe a little more rugged. I'm more of a day hiker so all the short, easy hikes at RMNP are a plus for me. I had a hard time at Glacier since even the "easy" hikes were tough to me. I can't really say what I like better. It's just...you know how you go someplace and you instantly feel like it's home?....that's how RMNP is for me. As soon as we get in the Big Thompson Canyon and I hear the river and see the mountains looming in front of me, I feel like I've come home.

Did you have the MN Loonion?
Tara

Post by Tara »

I know what you mean...I am always just curious what people like about other places.
We had the Minnesota Glacier gathering but not the loonion...JD's sister ended up being in town. We're going to plan something for fall when maybe you guys and Dreamer and others can be there.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Glacier versus GTNP

Post by Heff936 »

The Tetons are certainly beautiful, but the scenery, while spectacular, is not as varied as Glacier. It also cannot compare as a backcountry destination. My wife and I took a backpacking trip in GTNP last summer. The main problem was that the entire park is essentially open to day hikers. This is great if you want to day hike. But if you want to backpack and get into something that feels like the backcountry, it's very hard to do. On the plus side, you can see a lot of GTNP with a few long day hikes. The cascading streams are wonderful and the Teton views are great.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I agree that you can see a lot of the Tetons without even getting out of the car. We took a boat out on Jackson Lake and that was pretty great. I love the wildlife viewing in Glacier and Yellowstone. You know what? I love all the mountain parks! After RMNP, I would have a hard time saying what my next favorite is...

Tara, our Fall is filling up fast. I'm still trying to figure out how we can catch up with you on the Oct. 21 or 22. What day are you leaving Chicago? Would you be willing to meet for a coke or lunch or something in Rockford are your way home? Our flight comes in to Chicago at noon on Oct. 21 but I think we'll be exhausted from the overnight flight. Where's Wildfire? Haven't heard from him lately.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I think KenT still has Wildfire...but he's long overdue to come home. I'll need to inquire. Hopefully he hasn't been lost by the pony express! As for Chicago, we're unsure of our plans...we may be coming back on Sunday and maybe on Monday. If Monday it would most likely be when you're at work but if Sunday that would work out just fine, I think. Maybe just keep that late morning open for now and I'll keep you posted?
Pager

Post by Pager »

No problem! I hope we can work it out!

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”