The "Real" Firebrand Pass?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

The "Real" Firebrand Pass?

Post by wnysteve »

I was returning from a hike up to Firebrand Pass last season, and came across a guy coming up leading a small group (not a ranger). He asked if I had gone to the Pass, which I confirmed. He then said, "the real pass or the false pass?" Well, the real one, I guess. I've been to the Pass many times because I like to use Firebrand as a warm-up hike when I arrive. I think the Pass is a huge, flat area reached after a long final climb, and never had any doubt that I was at The Pass. But I got to thinking how Two Medicine Pass presents an illusion of a false pass(at least it did to me). I had originally thought that after I had crested Chief Lodgepole Peak coming up from Cobalt Lake that I had gained Two Medicine Pass. Not until I finally did Two Medicine Pass from the Park Creek side did I realize that the pass is located farther toward Grizzly Mountian than I had thought.

So, was the guy right? Is Firebrand a case of two low spots where the first "Pass" isn't the "Real Pass"? My topo indicates that there is only one Firebrand Pass.
PeteE

Re: The "Real" Firebrand Pass?

Post by PeteE »

Steve:

Maybe the group leader was showing off somehow by asking you that "real pass" question to impress the group with his trail knowledge?
That perhaps you were some noobie that thought you had reached the pass when you come to that basin before going up to the "real pass"...
And so you never realized that you hadn't actually reached the "real pass"?

How does anyone conclude there is more than one pass on that trail?

There's some real whack jobs out there, sometimes traveling in groups.
I keep thinking of the George Carlin skit where 4 people are all wearing T-shirts with a logo saying "I'm With Stupid"
8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Re: The "Real" Firebrand Pass?

Post by wnysteve »

Good points, Pete.

Return to “Hiking”