General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: General site updates

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.....

Did some formatting updates to the Backcountry Site Availability link. Tried to make it a bit more mobile friendly for phones by displaying either 1 or 2 columns depending on your screen size or whether it's vertical or horizontal. I didn't test it on very many screen sizes, so give me a shout if you experience any wonkyness...

Started making some progress on a possible online store for cool merch... It's not quite ready yet, but wanted to at least show there's progress being made in that direction. It's also got a cool logo for the site compliments of Teapot57! Thanks Tina!

And if you look closely, the Jumbo Mug test product does indeed have some dancing bananas on it. :D :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
IMG_1408.PNG
Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Hey Kyle,

Not sure I like the new format of the BC availability page when I view it on a regular browser. (which is pretty the only way I go to that page). It's all squished together and looked much better prior to the change. Can you detect the client and format based on the client browser/platform? I would much prefer the old format. Or maybe have a separate link for desktop browsers.

thanks
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey thanks Paul. Sounds good. For an immediate work around, just remove the 2 at the end of the link and you’ll be on the old link. I will work up a fix though that does a better job recognizing the wider window sizes, you bet.

Thanks Paul.

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks Kyle,

I appreciate all the work that you have put into fixing up this site!

-Paul
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Thanks Paul.... I'm glad to do it, and glad it's still here.. heh... I probably got a little carried away leaning towards mobile a bit too much on that last one. When you get a moment, check out the latest iteration and see how this one is looking for the Backcountry site availability.

https://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/w ... ity/index3

It should be more like the original for wider browser windows, while still shrinking down for smaller ones. I can still make adjustments where needed, so no problem if more changes are needed... Just let me know...

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle..
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

That looks quite nice on my screen, Kyle. Thanks for the updates.

I noticed that HOL is in Yellow status. Does anyone know the reason why?

-Paul
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

HOL is now open. I read there was an issue with the pit toilet that needed to be fixed and prevented it from opening early.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Ahh awesome! That is a cool spot. 👍
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Yay! The site is back!!! It was down for server maintenance by the host provider, and down for much, MUCH longer than they estimated. Heh. But it’s back baby!!!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang..... Just a quick update.... The Backcountry Site Detail information section is getting setup. It can be found in the "Extras" section or the big menu across the top.. There's currently only data entered in for 4 sites, but more will follow.... It's currently integrated into the Backcountry Site Availability page and will be integrated into the Route Planner eventually as well.

For the moment, I’m using MattB’s site detail info to preload some of the sites, but if you have any pictures or information pertaining to specific backcountry sites, to help fill out all of the sites details, please let me know!

As always, this is an early iteration, so if you see anything that doesn't seem right or something you'd like added or changed, just let me know.

Thanks!!
Cheers!!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.....

A quick update on the Backcountry Site Details section. We are up to 24 sites filled in with info as of this posting. A big thanks to Teapot57, MattB, Ipasha Jen, and liketohike for helping with filling in what we have so far. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's up in the big menu up top under Backcountry Site Details or it can be found here... https://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/w ... =site_name It's also integrated in with the Backcountry Site Availability page and MattB is hooking it into the Route Planner when time permits.

An additional feature of the site details is a public review/forum section of the sites for posting comments and/or reviews of each site if you would like. Under the Camping forum, there's a subforum called Backcountry Site Comments and Reviews. In there, there is a separate set of forums for each individual backcounty campsite. You can either go directly to each Backcountry site forum through the forum proper, or access each sites forum through its respective backcountry sites detail page pics and info and such.

We'll see how it goes, but the idea is to give people a bit of an idea on what to expect at any given site you might be heading towards if you are interested.

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle.....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang. MattB just did an update to the Route Planner. I’m sure he can speak to all the updates better than I, but I do see it’s integrated into the new backcountry campsite details now, which is cool.

Thanks Matt for putting that together! It is a handy tool for knowing mileage and elevation gain and such. Go check it out!

https://mattb.nationalparkschat.com/

It’s in the menu up top. 👍

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

This update was mainly some cleanup and minor reorganization, that hopefully the users will never notice, but that will hopefully make future updates and bug fixes easier.

There were a couple minor corrections of some mileage and elevation data, but the main update was to modify the Route Planner so that it uses the same Backcountry Site Details files that the other tools on the site are using.

Let me know if you see any problems or errors, or if you see any incorrect or missing mileage or elevation data. Same with route segments, there may be some that I've missed..
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Re: Backcountry Site Details

Hey gang.... There's a little pie chart next to each site on the Backcountry Site Details page now, to give an idea of how complete that site's details are, so you have a bit of an idea of what you are getting before clicking on it, and perhaps as a bit of an incentive for folks to submit extra info or pics for sites low on info....

It's in the menu up top, or you can go here.... https://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/w ... =site_name

Thanks gang...
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.... Just a few updates here....

I saw salpine posted in the Backcountry Site specific forums area while I was out. Great to see some posting going on in there! Those forums are accessible from their respective Backcountry Site Details page. Also under Camping / Backountry Site Comments and Reviews / SITE. Each site detail page now displays the last 3 forum posts from that Backcountry Sites forum. (3 just being some arbitrary number for now) You can also now reply from, or post to a new topic from a specific Backcountry Site Detail page now as well. The thought was to integrate the overall forum with the Backcountry Sites Detail a bit more that way perhaps.

You'll also start to see in the main menu (initially in the section outside of the main forum, but eventually in the forum menu as well) some new menu items. Trailheads, which initially won't be for much, but they are used in the new Day Hikes section that you'll see. At the moment I only have most of the Lake McDonald area Day Hikes entered with mileage (miles/km) and elevation gain and loss (ft/m). The Day Hikes will also support the forum integration similar to the Backcountry Sites once that forum area is set up. Eventually the plan is to allow you to track what all trails you've been on and when with distances and such if you like to do that sort of thing, privately or publicly.

Thanks gang!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”