General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: General site updates

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.... Just a quick note here.... I'll be replacing the menu system soon in the forum specific section in order to use the same menu in the forum as well as the rest of the site for a little more site consistency. All of the menu options will still be there, but wanted to give you a heads up in case it seems a little different.

It will basically be the header/menu from the extras area. Nothing major, but it should add little more organization over time, as well as be a little easier to maintain by only having 1 menu system vs the 2 that's there now..

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
J.Peter
Donator
Donator

Post by J.Peter »

Kyle,
We just started using the 20 ounce Glacier Park Chat coffee mugs purchased through the site store.
Excellent ordering and delivery process.
It's the next best thing to do when you can not get out to GNP.
Thanks for all your efforts on the Chat site.
J.PETER
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi J.Peter! That is fantastic! I'm glad it all went smoothly for you and that you are able to enjoy your new coffee mugs. I admit, I didn't even see your order come in, as we were in the Glacier backcountry enjoying the park at the time, so I'm extra glad everything processed through as expected.

We too have one of those 20oz mugs, and it has become my "go to" coffee mug now also. :D

Thanks for supporting the site!

Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang..... I feel like it's been a bit since I've done some updates.... So here we go....

1) Emoji's :party:
There's a handful of new emoji's added in with the existing Smilies now that weren't there before. If you feel strongly about an emoji that is missing, let me know!

2) Social Networks :cheers:
There's also now a way to share posts out to your social networks if you would like to do that. I admit I don't do that a lot, but I'm sure some of you do, so if you have troubles with it, let me know. You'll see the following icons near the bottom of each post.
Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 2.08.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 2.08.59 PM.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
It contains links out to the following...

Facebook
Twitter (X)
Reddit
VK
Tumblr
Whatsapp

A few of those I have zero experience with... heh... I'm happy to trim some of those back, but for now those are the only ones I can add for the moment. I'm unable to add Instagram at this time.
I figure if you are not interested in using them, that's ok... If you are interested in using them, there they are.... See what you think and let me know your thoughts there....

3) My Glacier :camp: :mountain: :cheese: :boots: :socks: :bear: :owl:
There's been some updates done to the "My Glacier" section in the upper right hand corner if you haven't seen that yet.... For the moment, It's focus is on Day Hikes. In the Day Hikes area, the park is broken down into 9 areas based on how the NPS seems to break out their hikes. You are able to pick which ones you've done, when you did them, how many times you did them, include who was with you, or any other notes that you would like to track for yourself. It seems self explanatory to me, however, that could easily be because I've been staring at it for along time.. heh... So...If anyone would like to play around with it a bit, and provide a bit of feedback, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

You have the option of marking your hikes as public or private. If you choose public, your mileage totals will show up in the "My Glacier Stats" menu option under Main Menu. All that does is show your mileage and elevation totals relative to others. Nothing else is public. If you choose private, it won't show there.

I thought it might be kind of a fun little thing.... Anyway, we'll see what kind of feedback this gets... It could need some minor tweaks to possibly a complete overhaul... Once it's somewhat dialed in, I'll try to do something similar for backpacking as well....

The My Glacier stuff does require you to be logged in. It's the same login as your regular forum login....

Anyway, I'm always up for suggestions to improve things, so feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle....

P.S.. One of these days, I need to get on a trip report... wow!
:arrow:
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Really cool Kyle! Thanks for all the ideas and the effort to implement!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Kyle, I had a quick look at the ‘my glacier’- I really like the concept and I think some cool things could be made from it.

One thought:
Go by segment instead of trailhead to endpoint (or do that recursively behind the scenes). That way people on longer hikes (multi day) can see similarity

Other ideas:
1) add direction reference
2) add similar framework for campsites / forum analog for trails(?) with links
3) other fields like rating, difficulty(?), time (?), year (?)
4) map display to see your hikes and (?) chatters? Maybe some context properties on mouseover or color by quantity, rating, ?
5) peaks?
6) common off trail (dragons tail, shangra-la, floral park, etc)
7) lakes swam in (half-kidding)
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey thanks Zo.... I appreciate the ideas for sure. I do like the idea of segments for the backpacking (multi day) hikes for sure. Initially, I'm starting with day hikes as a proof of concept so to speak, but do aim to expand it to multi day hikes for sure, so thinking segments would probably be a good way to do that, you bet.

Let me try to run through your list as well....

Other ideas:
1) add direction reference
I'm thinking I like this idea, though I may need a little more clarification on what you mean perhaps.

2) add similar framework for campsites / forum analog for trails(?) with links
Are you referring to how each back country campsite has it's own dedicated forum now and doing that with the trails? Just making sure... Yea... I like that.. you bet.

3) other fields like rating, difficulty(?), time (?), year (?)
Yea..., you bet... Those would be good additions... For time, do you mean like time of day the hike was done, or the time it took to finish? Year should be available now with the date picker, unless it's not functioning properly.

4) map display to see your hikes and (?) chatters? Maybe some context properties on mouseover or color by quantity, rating, ?
Yea... I think maps would be cool... Allowing people to add their GPX files of their routes was something I thought might be cool, but yea... I think using maps in some form would be cool, you bet.

5) peaks?
You bet... From a timeline perspective, I'd guess probably added after backpacking, but added for sure...

6) common off trail (dragons tail, shangra-la, floral park, etc)
Oh yea... those for sure crossed my mind when I was entering in the standard hikes from NPS. Yea... those will need to be added for sure... For the moment, I don't have any of their mileage or elevation change info. If anybody has that, let me know, and I can add it to the existing set up pretty quick. But yea, those will need to be added for sure...

7) lakes swam in (half-kidding)
heh... yea... either exactly that, or things like that, you bet... The more the better I figure... I'm thinking in some form or another, also including lodging and restaurants as well perhaps in some form.

Yea... I think those are all great ideas, you bet... Thanks Karl!.... Some will be quicker to add than others, but it definitely shows that there's no shortage of ideas, which is fantastic!

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by tibber »

I like everything you're doing and appreciate the time and effort. In regard to some of the suggestions, take a spin around hikearizona.com and that might give you some ideas. Of course, I'm very used to it but I if fulfills most of my needs for hiking in Arizona and in fact, we have some Glacier National Park hikes as well as several from all over the United States and even from other parts of the world.

For example, look at the Find tab for options. Click Areas, change the state to Montana, select Flathead Forest, click on Grinnell Lake (just happens to be a guide I did).

Thanks again for all you do and everyone else that contributes to this site.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Thanks Tibber, I'll have to check that out!

:thumbs_up:

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Hi Kyle- spot on in translation.

For direction, I mean which way one went. Probably more pertinent for backcountry, but there would be a couple day hikes like Dawson-Pitamakan, Piegan Pass, Siyeh Pass, etc. Easiest reference I have found is from-to (as compared to clock or cardinal direction). There also is an ‘out and back’ possibility (or requirement in some cases).

For time I was thinking duration to help people get some context on time beyond distance and elevation.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey, Thanks Zo... Thanks for the clarification... That sounds good.... Much appreciated!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.... On a slightly different note.... Wowser... It's been a crazy sunday... LOL! The site was getting pounded by a perfect storm of 3 different bots today... 2 different companies from China, and one from the US. Not exactly sure why.... I had to restart the server a couple of times... My apologies for any interruption in service. All 3 are currently blocked now... It seems for the moment to be doing much better at the moment even though they are all still trying to hit the server as we speak. :oh_boy: :thinking: :raised_eyebrow: .. . Heh....

Anyway, if you had trouble hitting the site today, you can thank Huawei, Bytedance, and Semrush.... ok..... Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!! :right on: :emoji_smile: :thumbs_up: :cheers:

Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.... I just added overall Ratings and Difficulty to the day hikes in the My Glacier section... eventually those values will get averaged up to display on the main informational page for the related hike..

Thanks for the suggestion there Zozeppelin and Tibber! :thumbs_up: :cheers:

Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Quick update to My Glacier Day Hikes... Just added Time... (Hours and Minutes) to each hike if you'd like to track that...

You can also shrink your hike details back down on a given hike as easily as you can expand them now.

It also looks like I had previously added the forum backlink to each day hike, similarly to each backcountry campsite, so each dayhike should have it's own dedicated forum now. If you see one that doesn't, let me know... I had forgotten I already did that... LOL! :thinking: :party:

Thanks gang!
Cheers!
:cheers:
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

I believe the averages of the following fields should now be displaying on the Day Hikes details page, provided people fill them in on day hikes they do under My Glacier..

Overall Trail Rating
Trial Difficulty
Time to complete the trail

If you see any issues with those, let me know....

Thanks!
Cheers! :cheers:
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”