Modifying Itinerary when Actually Picking Up a Permit

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Modifying Itinerary when Actually Picking Up a Permit

Post by Ear Mountain »

In years gone by it was a simple matter to modify a permit when picking it up. Changing reserved sites for more desirable sites that shoed walkup availability for example. Is this still possible under the new system put in place this year?

I'd like those that have modified a permit to post their experience here.
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Modifying Itinerary when Actually Picking Up a Permit

Post by orin »

Nothing to report today but I will be testing the system in a couple of weeks. I ended up with 3 back to back to back permits that need to be consolidated and then tweaked a bit more with walk ups. If I can get this modified anything reasonable should be possible.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Hi Ralph,

I had no problem modifying a permit for August. I had something like ELF-HEL-COS-GLH-GLH and I added an extra night at the end for COS.

-Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

I am in Many Glacier tonight and I dropped into the ranger station earlier today. I asked if it would be possible to change campsites when picking up permits, and was told that the rangers do have the ability to modify permits to change campsites at permit pickup. However, he said that if you see a campsite open up before picking up the permit, go ahead and change it yourself through rec.gov.

He went on to say that they are finding it hard to add nights onto a permit at the start of the trip. So if you have a permit starting at UPK, for example, it would be difficult for them to add a night at KIN before the night at UPK. Nights after the start date are easier for them to add. He seemed unsure of the reason why.
orin

Post by orin »

Well, I just left the permit office. The good news is that I had no trouble getting my permit modified. They were able to consolidate 3 back to back permits and make some modifications. They were working directly from the rec.gov site probably with NPS privileges. The bad news is that Mokowanis Lake and Junction and Glenns head are all closed due to bears. Hard to tell how long that might last but anyone with reservations in the near future take note. I’m off to Granite Park.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Those bears have 2 weeks to mosey on out of there so that our group trip isn’t affected. Thanks for the update and have a great time!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I don't ever remember those camps being affected by bears before. I wonder if there was a incident where a bear got a hold of human food. Or maybe there was a kill near the area.

I hope the activity clears out soon. I do have a permit with GLH but not until August.
orin

Post by orin »

I talked to the ranger at the Belly River RS yesterday, July 1. She said it was difficult to tell but that the closure could last another couple of weeks. She either didn’t know or wouldn’t say exactly what the problem is but apparently the bear has not moseyed yet. The other thing to note is that the parks new trail status page shows Glens Head as being open. But the backcountry office wouldn’t issue a permit even so. There is some kind of internal disconnect there. That Glens Head would be open and Mok Lake and Junction closed doesn’t make a lot of sense since all three are very close together.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Hi Orin, thanks for the intel on changing permits at walk-in. Exciting times to visit glacier early season- I hope you enjoyed your trip and to hear more about it.

Here is my speculation: NPS is official but the system uses REC to process- so if it’s not available on REC then it won’t work. I say this because it was mentioned REC was used for the walkin interface (inventory control) and NPS and REC differ (they are caught up now). I agree and thought the same at the time it was mentioned GLH and MOL were closed and MOJ was not being inbetween.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

That Glens Head would be open and Mok Lake and Junction closed doesn’t make a lot of sense since all three are very close together.
I had the same thought and appreciate you providing this excellent intel. I was able to come up with a plan B in advance since it looks likely that our 2 nights at GLH will be cancelled. Not sure what we would have done if we learned of the GLH closure when we arrived at the permit office, which will be the case for most others.

Did you cut your trip short or were you able to come up with alternate campsites?
orin

Post by orin »

Did you cut your trip short or were you able to come up with alternate campsites?
I had planned 2 nights at GLH for a day hike to Stony Indian Pass. This is such a low snow year I knew I could do it early. That got replaced by an extra night at GAB. So 2 days cut but 1 added. All in all it worked out fine. The camp to camp itinerary was very relaxed. But I added some extras. I did Dawson-Pitamakin a couple of days before the backpack, then 2 nights at Granite via Swiftcurrent Pass. The day I hiked back from Granite was also the day I backpacked to GAB. I day hiked Red Gap Pass the day I moved camp from GAB to ELF. And I used the easy day from COS back to GAB to rest up for an exit via Lee Ridge. And I may yet manage a hike from Two Medicine to East Glacier via Scenic Point if I can get a shuttle. So I can’t complain too much.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by liketohike »

orin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:07 am
I had planned 2 nights at GLH for a day hike to Stony Indian Pass. This is such a low snow year I knew I could do it early. That got replaced by an extra night at GAB. So 2 days cut but 1 added. All in all it worked out fine. The camp to camp itinerary was very relaxed. But I added some extras. I did Dawson-Pitamakin a couple of days before the backpack, then 2 nights at Granite via Swiftcurrent Pass. The day I hiked back from Granite was also the day I backpacked to GAB. I day hiked Red Gap Pass the day I moved camp from GAB to ELF. And I used the easy day from COS back to GAB to rest up for an exit via Lee Ridge. And I may yet manage a hike from Two Medicine to East Glacier via Scenic Point if I can get a shuttle. So I can’t complain too much.
Orin, it sound like you're making the best of it! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

The other thing to note is that the parks new trail status page shows Glens Head as being open. But the backcountry office wouldn’t issue a permit even so. There is some kind of internal disconnect there.
I popped into the St Mary Ranger Station yesterday to inquire about GLH. Apparently, a bear got into an Ursack that someone left in their tent at MOL. :evil: She said that GLH is open, but they did temporarily stop issuing permits for it in order to limit traffic to the area shortly after the incident.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

teapot57 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:08 pm I popped into the St Mary Ranger Station yesterday to inquire about GLH. Apparently, a bear got into an Ursack that someone left in their tent. :evil: She said that GLH is open, but they did temporarily stop issuing permits for it in order to limit traffic to the area shortly after the incident.
Oh goodness…. 😳 🤦‍♂️ Thanks T!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:53 pm
teapot57 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:08 pm I popped into the St Mary Ranger Station yesterday to inquire about GLH. Apparently, a bear got into an Ursack that someone left in their tent. :evil: She said that GLH is open, but they did temporarily stop issuing permits for it in order to limit traffic to the area shortly after the incident.
Oh goodness…. 😳 🤦‍♂️ Thanks T!
With all the warnings that campers get about not leaving food in their tent, you'd think people would do the right thing. Unbelievable!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”