Night of the Grizzlies

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Night of the Grizzlies

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Just finished the Night of the Grizzlies book for the first time. Seemed fitting after spending a night at Granite Park campground and a couple nights at the chalet this fall. Particularly with the recent bear activity. I thought it was a really good read… Having the Granite Park area fresh in the mind sure made those parts quite vivid.

Anyway, if you haven’t read it and are looking for something to read, it was an unfortunate situation but I’d recommend reading it. I thought it was a good book.

Cheers!
Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Night of the Grizzlies

Post by orin »

My first night at a Glacier backcountry site was at Granite Park in 1968. I was in high school at the time. This was before campground reservations were required and before there was even a limit to the number of campers in a site. Our small group crowded in close together in our tents. Even so nobody got a good nights sleep that night.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Night of the Grizzlies

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Oh my goodness. The following year was your first night? And to top it off, it was at Granite Park? Holy cow! What a way to get started. I can imagine light sleeping was the order of the night.

That’s interesting about the general backcountry rules. I got the impression it was pretty much anything goes so to speak, at the time from the way it sounded.

I got the feeling that aside from those sorts of rules, generally speaking, that for the most part things are laid out today quite similarly to how they were described in the book back then. With a possible exception of a cabin that was down near the campground. I feel like we saw what might have been that, but is now (in September) just the foundation of a building with a picnic table in the middle of it perhaps with all of the logs of the walls laying off to the side.

Now after having read that, I imagine the next trip back there will have a different perspective for sure. I can’t imagine having been there just after.

Cheers!
Kyle
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”