Backpacking between Granite Park Chalet and Sperry Chalet

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

NotAllAreLost
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backpacking between Granite Park Chalet and Sperry Chalet

Post by NotAllAreLost »

Have a reservation at Granite Park Chalet first week in September and a reservation at Sperry Chalet five nights later. Planning to backpack between the Chalet the four days in between. One route thinking of is GRN campground by staying a second night after staying at the Chalet, then MAN, REY, then ELL or GUN, then stay at Sperry Chalet final night. A few restrictions with these campsites with the wilderness permits, so seeking some feedback from others that are more experienced with GNP. This is about a 50 mile route. Appreciate feedback, tips, or other route ideas. Thanks.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Re: Backpacking between Granite Park Chalet and Sperry Chalet

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Welcome to Glacier Park Chat! Any time you can get a night at Sperry or Granite Park Chalet's, it makes for a great hike, I think... and having one at each is all the better. :thumbs_up: I think the estimated route you are aiming for is a great one. The hike out from Granite Park over Swiftcurrent Pass is quite nice. Did that with some friends last fall. 2 thumbs up there. And then coming into to Sperry from Gunsite Pass is also a great way to go.

Some general thoughts would be... Be prepared to get creative on your routes in case you are unable to get what you are aiming for as it's not guaranteed. Perhaps a night at the Swiftcurrent Lodge or cabins or the Many Glacier Hotel if needed. Some other options to consider as plans B, C, and D if needed might include going south west out of Granite Park down to The Loop and catching a shuttle or 2 from there. Head east over Logan Pass down to the Gunsite Pass trail head and go in there, or go west and stay at Lake McDonald Lodge and then come in from the west and still have access to SNY, SPE, and ELL before heading back to the Chalet. Just some thoughts as back up plans... I'd still aim for what you were thinking though...

Some other thoughts would be regarding Gunsite Pass. It's typically just fine but it's always a good idea to keep an eye on the amount of snow on Gunsite Pass, even late in the season. I don't believe I've used micro-spikes in that snow section though I can think of once or twice when it probably would have been a good idea. While the snow section there can be small to non-existent, it can also be quite large and the slide from there could make for a very bad day. Anyway, that's just something to be aware of based on snow amounts and what your comfort level is. Typically it's not a problem.

All in all, I'd say you have the makings of a great trip. Perhaps others may have some other thoughts as well. Oh, and if you have time, I'd be sure to head up to Sperry Glacier while at the chalet. That's a great day hike if you can swing it. Saw my first wolverine up there too almost 10 years ago. We'll be up at Sperry again this year some friends as well the first week of September. Maybe we'll run into you.... Ya never know...

Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

Thanks Kyle for the welcome and the feedback! I am on the right track with what you said, as last weekend, I sat down and figured out 7 different routes/combinations to provide some flexibility in the process of getting a permit that works.

Also have another route in mind, but feels a bit crazy and would take some key logistics. The route is Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet, then to FIF, then to WAT or GOA or to Waterton Townsite, then boat or walk to Waterton Townsite, then shuttle somehow to St Mary to stay the night, then next day shuttle up to Jackson Glacier Overlook, then hike to GUN or ELL, then Sperry Chalet and back to McDonald Lodge.

I am arriving by train from the east into West Glacier, then staying near the Apgar Backcountry Permit Office, so be there early in the morning to make changes in our permits that we have up until that point, then leave the next day to hike up to Granite Park Chalet and start the trip. From what I am reading and studying, I feel blessed to have the reservations at each of the chalets. Now, need to wait to see how the lottery turns out, then see what we end up with for sites going into the trip. Told the others in my group that we may not know our exact route or trip till the day before and will need to be flexible.

We are all seasoned backpackers and really looking forward to experiencing GNP.

Brian
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Ahh right on.... Some times it's hard to know if someone is just starting out or has been doing it for years. That's great! Yea, I would say your alternate route, while needing some extra logistics, is a very legitimate route. In reverse, it's how LikeToHike and I made our way to Granite Park Chalet last fall (then out Swiftcurrent Pass). We got picked up by Backpackers Ferry (Wyett and his crew are awesome!) at Swiftcurrent Lodge and dropped off at the Belly River trailhead I think it is, just south of the Chief Mountain border crossing, then walked across the border into Canada at the border entry and picked up another shuttle whose name escapes me at the moment, but they took us from the border up into Waterton where we got on the boat to Goat Haunt.... Then from there, we did KOO-FIF-GRN on the way to the Chalet. While it may be crazy, it's doable, and some times it may be your only option.. heh... I would perhaps confirm the Canadian Customs options going that direction. I'm sure it's fine, but I've only gone the other direction through there. The last time through, we needed to fill out a US Customs form online before getting on the boat. Your mileage may vary going the other way.

On your way out from Sperry, it might make for a long day, but it's all down hill... leave your gear at the chalet and take a day pack up to the glacier in the morning so you can travel light. I think it's worth it... Then come back, grab your gear and head down.

Anyway, sounds like a great literary however it ends up..... :thumbs_up:

Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

Thanks for the tip about the Backpackers Ferry as that really could open up some other options as well, being that we have 4 days between the chalets. No matter how it all ends up it should be an amazing trip. I have another week planned in GNP in the third week in July which will be a family trip with a camper and exploring the overall park. It will be interesting to see how different it will be when exploring in the front country versus the back country. This site is great with a lot of information. Thanks again.

Brian
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Hi Brian, welcome!

That indeed is a nice score with both chalets with a short (hikeable) gap in-between.

Your first route was actually my first trip in Glacier. I found it on a Trimble website, entitled ‘highlights of Glacier’ or something to that extent. Absolutely incredible.

I think you’re correct that you’ll struggle with the permitting system if you just try to grab MAN-REY-ELL or something like that due to the ‘can’t be the first or last day’ and ‘trips of more than X days’ constraints on MAN and REY, the system isn’t really setup for a hybrid itineraries, although it wasn’t enforced last year (people were starting/finishing northern circles with MAN.

Coincidentally I was just thinking about this (a glacier hut to hut). I think originally there was a chalet at (sun point?) that broke up the trip (prior to the road). I’ll have to check my facts there and get back to you.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey Brian.... I talked to my wife, and she reminded me that the shuttle we used in Canada between the border and Waterton was Tamarack Outdoors. The driver there was awesome as well...

Hey Zozeppelin.... Here's a pic of the old chalet locations from the book View With A Room. If anyone hasn't read it, I highly recommend it. It's a good history on the old hotels and chalet's of the park. I'm not sure if I can tell which chalet you might be thinking of. The old Rising Sun Auto Camp maybe? Unless there's one missing perhaps...
IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG (264.54 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Cheers!
Kyle
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Another idea could be, after the night at Granite Park, come back out from Granite Park to Logan Pass, take the shuttle to Jackson Glacier Overlook, then one night at Gunsight Lake, one night at Lake Ellen WIlson and one night at Sperry Campground before Sperry Chalet. Staying at Sperry Campground should give you enough time that day to go to Sperry Glacier. I assume the Chalet would let you store backpacks there while you hiked to the Glacier. However, these campsites are also in great demand.

FuzzySide Down, I think zozepplin is referring to the Going to the Sun Chalets on that map.

Bill
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

zozeppelin,

Yeah, I have these set dates with Granite Park Chalet (first night), then have Backcountry site nights #2, #3, #4, #5, then Sperry Chalet (6th night). This locks me into two locations on two dates, which takes away some flexibility with the permit system and availability of campsites, but no matter how it turns out for a trip, I think we can figure some type of backpacking in between the staying at the chalets. Hope is to walk in some way from chalet to chalet.

I have been assuming that the wilderness permit system does not have a way to account for staying in the chalets even though they are located in the backcountry and could be used on a multi-day backpacking trip. I am sure that the rangers can make some adjustments for this when I arrive for our permit at the backcountry permit station, but again assuming the online reservation system does not have the ability to account for the chalets.

We talked about trying for the north loop, but I figured out that I am short one day to make it really feasible without adding in a shuttle. I do like the the possibility of going north to figuring out the shuttles, which FuzzySideDown has done this trip backwards which is encouraging.

You, guys are all full of great knowledge and tips. I am going to get that book that FuzzySideDown mentioned as it will be interesting to know more about all of the chalets.

Brian
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

Thanks FuzzySideDown for the tips on the shuttles that you used. I looked up the first one and will check out the other one as well. That may be a very good option to consider if we can make it work. Even maybe using Backpackers Ferry in another way will allow me to get from Many Glacier to another Trailhead, such as Cutbank to hike in another way or such if I have the right number of days. Definitely opens up the options if they are available. But definitely eyeing the idea of going north to Waterton, then shuttle back, then hike to Sperry via Gunsight pass in some way.

Brian
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

MarxMN,

I have that route as an option as that still would be an awesome out and back hike. So many options, but yet somewhat limited as well. I have a spreadsheet setup thinking about all the different combinations to achieve the goal of walking or limited shuttling between the two chalets in the 7 days that I have out in the backcountry of GNP.

Appreciate the feedback!

Brian
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

MarxMN wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:06 pm FuzzySide Down, I think zozepplin is referring to the Going to the Sun Chalets on that map.
I looked right past that one. Good catch! I bet you are right. 👍

Cheers!
Kyle
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
indiana hiker
Gender?: Female

Post by indiana hiker »

A few years back I remember seeing a PBS (I think) special on the chalets and it stated you could see some of the remains of the Going to the Sun chalet if you knew where to look. Anyway, look at this site. www.nplas.org. and follow thru to Montana and chalets and lodges. It has some interesting info and you might enjoy reading through it.
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

indiana hiker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:47 am A few years back I remember seeing a PBS (I think) special on the chalets and it stated you could see some of the remains of the Going to the Sun chalet if you knew where to look. Anyway, look at this site. www.nplas.org. and follow thru to Montana and chalets and lodges. It has some interesting info and you might enjoy reading through it.
Thanks for information and started reading up on the chalets. Great info!

Brian
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Interesting, if you had back to back days and Granite and Sperry chalets. You could theoretically do it in one day hike by using the floral park traverse between Granite and Sperry. You could get to Logan pass either by hiking down to the loop and grabbing the shuttle or hiking the trails to Logan. It would be a long day but definitely doable depending upon your condition.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “Backcountry Permits”