Cattle Barons

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Tara »

I LOVE Grizzly Years and credit it with helping me get over my initial extreme, irrational fear of Grizzlies that I had until my first trip to Glacier. Some of the language is rough but I love it and have read it probably at least 6 times. I hope you enjoy it. I will post a list of my favorite Glacier books and Montana books later (I'm off to school to lead a book club in a minute)...I'll start a separate thread, I'm sure others want to weigh in on this too!
Tara

Post by Tara »

Re: Cattle Baron: We were there mid-August on a somewhat rainy day and didn't have to wait at all...but then again we were there pretty early, like 5. There's plenty to look at while you wait though. Yes, the steaks were enough for 2 or 3 people. We fed our leftovers to the stray/loose dogs nearby (my daughter's request...).
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

babb bar/cattle baron

Post by scott-atl »

the babb bar was actually featured on the front page, middle column, of the wall street journal back in the early 90's. it was described as one of the toughest bars in the country. i've got a friend that got beat up by a couple of babalonian women years back. i preferred the babb bar to the current cattle baron setup that they have now. it was a more authentic cowboy bar/steak shack. i've had killer meals and average meals at the catlle baron over the years. nice folks. the diarama of the history of the blackfoot is excellent.
Bob D.

Re: Babb Bar

Post by Bob D. »

First time I was in the old Babb Bar was about 1994......it was a real dump, but nothing else was around for a cold beer......We were told that it made the top of the list as the 'roughest bar in America' per Playboy Magazine or similar publication.......Don't know if that is true. It was also mentioned to us that the reaon it got its reputation was that a fight took place where someone got killed in the parking lot with a chainsaw........again, don't know if that is true.....
balou44
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

sj in cal

Post by balou44 »

Another great GNP book is
Place Names of Glacier/Waterton National Parks. Jack Holterman

Lots of good history in a small book.
Tara

Post by Tara »

Yes, I've had that one for years too and was sortof lost without it on my last trip there (had loaned it out and not gotten it back). Very, very interesting to read about all the place names!

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”