Mountains to climb along my route?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

spd3487
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Mountains to climb along my route?

Post by spd3487 »

I was wondering what would be the best mountain to climb along my route during the first week of Aug.? (FLA,FIF,WAT,HOL,WAT,GLH,HEL) Keeping in mind the milages that I have to hike between campsites and the fact that I am a novice hiker/climber. I'm wondering if there will be time to climb at the end of one of my days in Glacier. I really want to climb though and I would prefer a class 3 climb over a 1 or 2 as I want at least some degree of challenge or it will defeat the purpose! Thanks. Would Thunderbird or Merritt even be options with my route schedule?
dorf

Re: Mountains to climb along my route?

Post by dorf »

I was wondering what would be the best mountain to climb along my route during the first week of Aug.? (FLA,FIF,WAT,HOL,WAT,GLH,HEL) Keeping in mind the milages that I have to hike between campsites and the fact that I am a novice hiker/climber.
Well, I'd say you'll have your hands full just getting to camp for your last three nights for sure as those are long days. I'm not a climber but I'd say your best bet for climbing anything would be when you get to HOL.
So many mountains, so little time.
spd3487

Post by spd3487 »

What about Mt. Custer at HOL? Does anybody know anything about any possible climbing routes for this one?
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

SPD:

I can't say I recall hearing anything about Mt. Custer and I agree with Dorf that with your daily mileage any climbs would be tough. If you could work one additional day into your itinerary and were able to add a second day at HOL, then I'd suggest climbing Boulder Peak. Boulder is an easy walk-up with fantastic views. You could try that with your existing itinerary, but it would make for a long day getting back to HOL, which is IMO about the best camp in the park in terms of views and sound (water flowing everywhere). I'd probably save any climbs for a future trip, but you may have a different endurance level than me. I know my dogs would be barking at the end of most days if I had your intierary without a :mrgreen:

I have no doubt that you'll get hooked on Glacier and will have future opportunities to combine backpacking with a climb or two.
:arrow:

Heff
Jen

Post by Jen »

spd3487 wrote:I was wondering what would be the best mountain to climb along my route during the first week of Aug.? (FLA,FIF,WAT,HOL,WAT,GLH,HEL) Keeping in mind the milages that I have to hike between campsites and the fact that I am a novice hiker/climber. I'm wondering if there will be time to climb at the end of one of my days in Glacier. I really want to climb though and I would prefer a class 3 climb over a 1 or 2 as I want at least some degree of challenge or it will defeat the purpose! Thanks. Would Thunderbird or Merritt even be options with my route schedule?

Thunderbird or Merritt are not going to be options. You need a FULL day for either of these hikes even if you are an experienced mountaineer!

I would consider doing Kipp. It will be early in your itinerary so you will still have plenty of energy. ;) Remember you can not drop your pack so you either need to elevate with it or hang it at FIF and fetch it later.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by mattB »

You do realize that you're responding to a post that's five years old?
Although I'm guessing that your response was not so much for the benefit of the original poster but more for your own therapeutic purposes? :-)
We all must enjoy Glacier vicariously sometimes!! :-)
Jen

Post by Jen »

mattB wrote:You do realize that you're responding to a post that's five years old?
Although I'm guessing that your response was not so much for the benefit of the original poster but more for your own therapeutic purposes? :-)
We all must enjoy Glacier vicariously sometimes!! :-)
Ha! I thought this came up when I clicked "view new posts"??? So weird.

I still say Kipp is a good option. ;)

Return to “Hiking”