Good Tent around $150

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

stillwater
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Good Tent around $150

Post by stillwater »

I'm looking for recommendations for a backpacking tent around $150.

I would like it to have these features:

1. free standing
2. double wall
3. at least one vestibule
4. weigh around 5.5 lbs or less
5. would prefer a 'dome' style over a 'tunnel' type.
6. be able to vent with fly on

maybe this is expecting to much?

I'm considering the Kelty Gunnison 2.1

If anyone has experience with this tent...what's the good,the bad, and the ugly?
elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Good Tent around $150

Post by elscout198 »

Not sure if this fits your bill but we use them for the scouts and they are durable considering they are used often and in all kinds of weather (no winter weather by us but reviews indicate they can take some winter) the tent is the Eureka Timberline 2, you may be looking for something more and it is a little heavy compared to others you might find at a little higher price

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40324
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

elscout198,

I too have a Eureka Timberline 2. Have had it for around ten years. It's a good strong tent, with plenty of space for two adults, and some gear. Handles windy conditions too. It' fairly heavy (7lbs) for backpacking, IMHO; and a little too big for a solo trip. I'm looking for something lighter, and with a little less room perhaps. Room wise it should be big enough for me and my pack and not feel crowded; and should allow room for the occasional second camper.

Thanks,
stillwater
dorf

Post by dorf »

REI quarter dome is on sale at REI outlet right now for $160, down from $220, and meets all but one of your criteria (cost).

http://www.rei.com/product/767268?cm_mm ... erralID=NA
So many mountains, so little time.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Thanks dorf! That tent has a lot features. Two doors and two vestibules and like you say is only $10 over my budget.......still doable.

The only thing I don't like about it is the pole sleeves over clips....but that is not a real problem.

Thanks,
stillwater

Hey...I stumbled across your blog before joining this forum...and I must say you and Yumi have been very fortunate to go on the trips you have made. I've always wanted to do the Beartooth's or as the locals call it 'Lake Plateau Country".
dorf

Post by dorf »

Hey...I stumbled across your blog before joining this forum...and I must say you and Yumi have been very fortunate to go on the trips you have made. I've always wanted to do the Beartooth's or as the locals call it 'Lake Plateau Country".
Well then you should go. No permit hassles, fees or designated campsites to deal with. And solitude? We were off trail 90% of the time but I we saw 2 camps and only met 1 group out there for the entire week. :D
So many mountains, so little time.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

The Beartooths are on my list, just need more vacation time. From my house in NW Montana it is still a long day over Hwy 212.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”