Backcountry Trip Advice?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Backcountry Trip Advice?

Post by Farmgirl »

mattB wrote:
Seems like Triple Divide Pass/Peak would be kind of a long day? 15 miles round trip? I'm more of a wimp than obsessed.
NAH...15 miles w/ a couple gorgeous, pleasant, sweet-to-the-core-wouldn't-try-anything-incriminating glacier girls is a piece of pie...which the odds of having pie are good too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jen

Post by Jen »

Farmgirl wrote:
mattB wrote:
Seems like Triple Divide Pass/Peak would be kind of a long day? 15 miles round trip? I'm more of a wimp than obsessed.
NAH...15 miles w/ a couple gorgeous, pleasant, sweet-to-the-core-wouldn't-try-anything-incriminating glacier girls is a piece of pie...which the odds of having pie are good too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have all day! It would be a steady but not speedy pace with lots of stops for photos. If we get to the pass and you dont want to summit, you can just wait and watch us girls go up! (I triple dog dare ya!)
15 miles is a breeze in the right company. :mrgreen:
sj in cal
Gender?: Male

Post by sj in cal »

Jen wrote:
sj in cal wrote:
Jen wrote:MattB:

Triple Divide Pass with a scramble up 3divide peak is on my list as a day trip this July. I may have asked you this before but, when are you going to be in the park?? Some other chatters and I are looking at doing this somewhere between July 18 and July31.

Jen
Jen, Jen, Jen...you've been turned or is it just "scramble" is in the eye of the beholder.
Steve
Steve:

After last year, I am completely obsessed. :oops:

Jen
Of course, I could tag along to the pass, but once there I would turn right!
Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Kathy »

OK....just tryin' to get caught up.....Triple Divide Pass as a dayhike? - Absolutely! Done! - Glacier Girl Annie and I did it summer of '05. In from Cut Bank, up to the Pass, lolli-gaggin' around at the pass (no "scramblin' " for Annie....she's not fond of "scrambles") and back out. Beautiful!

Hopin' this year to add that "scramble"....I'd scramble to Triple Divide or James - I'm just sayin'..... :wink:
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

sj in cal wrote:I'm not an expert (I'm a whimp), but when I was at Triple Divide Pass, Triple Divide Peak didn't seem like a "hike". However, Mt James seemed like a walkup...although I kept my promise to the girlfriend and stayed on the trail and therefore can't be sure. I look for some photos from the pass.
Steve, wimps don't hike 19 miles with a 3,000-ft. elevation gain in a single day. :D

Sorry, 17 miles (I forgot about the boat at the end). But it's still not wimpy!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

Hockey Ref wrote:
sj in cal wrote:I'm not an expert (I'm a whimp), but when I was at Triple Divide Pass, Triple Divide Peak didn't seem like a "hike". However, Mt James seemed like a walkup...although I kept my promise to the girlfriend and stayed on the trail and therefore can't be sure. I look for some photos from the pass.
Steve, wimps don't hike 19 miles with a 3,000-ft. elevation gain in a single day. :D

Aha! - So, Ref....are you sayin' that Mr. SJ did the Daw-Pit loop? - If so, you're comin' with us, sj!!!!
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Kathy wrote:
Hockey Ref wrote:

Aha! - So, Ref....are you sayin' that Mr. SJ did the Daw-Pit loop? - If so, you're comin' with us, sj!!!!
Yes, he did it with me in '06. May have done it since then as well!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Looks like another interesting day hike shaping up here. My advice to any and all men who might be tempted to go with the Glacier Girls is to watch your backside, keep your packs closed and with you at all times and follow the buddy system. Be prepared!
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Kathy wrote:
Hockey Ref wrote:

If you insist... :wink: But rest assured...I can hold my own, I have a man card somewhere :roll:
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Did I just sign on for Daw-Pit or Triple Divide? The Daw-Pit always makes me think Serranos, but I always wanted to return to Triple Divide without the smoke. So many choices to fit in a week!
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

sj in cal wrote:Did I just sign on for Daw-Pit or Triple Divide? The Daw-Pit always makes me think Serranos, but I always wanted to return to Triple Divide without the smoke. So many choices to fit in a week!
I do believe you just signed up for Triple Divide Pass!! - Woohoo!!!! :mrgreen:
Jen

Post by Jen »

As your self-proclaimed social director, I can tell you that the 3Divide pass dayhike is tenatively being planned for Wednesday July 29th :mrgreen:
Jen

Post by Jen »

sj in cal wrote: Also note there are no advance reservations for Morning Star before August 1st.
The backcountry availability page lists MOR as available beginning July 15. Is this a change from previous years?
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

Ear Mountain wrote:Looks like another interesting day hike shaping up here. My advice to any and all men who might be tempted to go with the Glacier Girls is to watch your backside, keep your packs closed and with you at all times and follow the buddy system. Be prepared!
So..........Ralph..............does this mean you're "signing on" too for this one?? :mrgreen: The more, the merrier!!! :arrow:
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Jen wrote:
sj in cal wrote: Also note there are no advance reservations for Morning Star before August 1st.
The backcountry availability page lists MOR as available beginning July 15. Is this a change from previous years?
Yes it is a change. I seem to have deleted my 2008 BC Guide :( , but my 2007 guide lists MOR as available August 1st. I guess I'm living in the past, but not again, I just downloaded my very own copy for 2009!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”