Water at BC Campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

kburns69
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Water at BC Campsites

Post by kburns69 »

Can anyone tell me if getting water is a problem at either the Granite Park, Many Glacier, or Cracker Lake backcountry campsites ?

I imagine Cracker Lake is no problem but don't know much about the other two. I have a water filter, just don't know where streams,etc are. Thanks !
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Water at BC Campsites

Post by ND Sol »

Cracker Lake is from the lake. Since there is glacial flour in the lake, your filter may clog more than you would otherwise expect.

Near Granite Park is a stream flowing down from Swiftcurrent Pass. Am I hallucinating to think that there is also a pump where the Chalet gets its water?

Many Glacier is the campground that is for car camping with some spots reserved for backpackers not using it for their first or last nights. So plenty of water nearby and you won't even have to filter.

BTW, I see that Cracker Lake is currently closed due to bear activity.
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

ND Sol wrote:Near Granite Park is a stream flowing down from Swiftcurrent Pass. Am I hallucinating to think that there is also a pump where the Chalet gets its water?
You are not hallucinating....there is a pump the chalet uses...from what I've been told, because they can't guarantee the filtration to a "code" level, they technically can't "advertise" that as a water option. (But I know we've used it before...I think there's just that whole "I got sick on water you said was good and I'm gonna sue..." thing that they have to protect themselves from....)
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
kburns69
Gender?: Male

Post by kburns69 »

ND Sol wrote:BTW, I see that Cracker Lake is currently closed due to bear activity.
Do you know how long trails typically stay closed because of bear activity ?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

kburns69 wrote:
ND Sol wrote:BTW, I see that Cracker Lake is currently closed due to bear activity.
Do you know how long trails typically stay closed because of bear activity ?
Recently discussed in this thread:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=4136
leebadger
Gender?: Female

Post by leebadger »

I am also curious about water access at BC sites. It is my first trip to Glacier and will be hiking from Cut Bank to Two Medicine.
On the map, it appears I will be by a stream or lake most of the time and assume I'll be fine with a filter/tablets.
Anyone know if this is a safe assumption?
Thanks!
orin

Post by orin »

There may not be much water between the base of Pitamakin Pass and about No Name Lake (assumming you are using this route), a distance of ~5 miles. Fill up before you start up the pass.

Return to “Camping”