Outside the Park camping options

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Outside the Park camping options

Post by llholmes1948 »

Looking at the Park Service map of Glacier, I see that there is a U.S. Forest Service campground at Devil Creek, on U.S. 2 between Summit and Essex, and another U.S. Forest Service campground at Big Creek on the outside North Fork Road a short ways south of the Camas Creek park entrance.

Does anyone know much about those campgrounds and do they usually have space available?

Thanks,
Lyman
elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by elscout198 »

Being a former tent person (hybrid RV now) I used my old search and there are at least 20 potential parks on the west side. I did not go look at a map so some may be too far

some examples, you can reseach more on of maybe someone will say I was there include. (I used Kailspell as the radius point so I might have missed going east))

Flathead Lake State Park (Big Arm Unit)
BIG ARM, Montana
Flathead Lake State Park (Wayfarer Unit)
BIGFORK, Montana
Lake Mary Ronan State Park
DAYTON, Montana
Flathead National Forest (Tally Lake Campground)
WHITEFISH, Montana
Whitefish Lake State Park
WHITEFISH, Montana
Flathead National Forest (Murray Bay Campground)
MARTIN CITY, Montana
Flathead National Forest (Holland Lake Campground)
CONDON, Montana
Swan Lake Campground & Picnic Area
SWAN LAKE, Montana
Flathead Lake State Park (West Shore Unit)
ROLLINS, Montana
Logan State Park
MARION, Montana
Flathead Lake (Finley Point)
POLSON, Montana
Flathead Lake (Yellow Bay)
POLSON, Montana
Glacier NP (Bowman Lake Campground)
POLEBRIDGE, Montana

Stuck in my mind today
"Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy
Out in the back seat of my 60 chevy Working on mysteries without any clues
Working on our night moves Tryin to make some front page drive-in news
Working on our night moves"
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Most of those are at least 50 miles from the park, quite a jaunt..

Dave
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

will try for closer :(

Keep getting inside glacier results so I expanded the search to 50 miles to get list above

smaller radius, But then I only get two (non Glacier west of Logan Pass)

Glacier Campground in West Glacier
Flathead National Forrest in Martin City
sure there are more probably not reviewed in where I am looking
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Here are a few more using Hiker central http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/116779.html

can not vouch for the review but it generates a few more names
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

elscout198 wrote:Here are a few more using Hiker central http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/116779.html

Unfortunately that link just goes to a random text generator. It barely makes any sense. Kinda funny actually.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I had no problem with the link. It went to an effusively positive description of the Chewing Blackbones Campground.

Unfortunately I understand that the Chewing Blackbones Campground, owned or operated by the Blackfeet Tribe, has been closed for several years and was last reported to be in tough shape. Slowhiker reported that she has seen some activity there recently so perhaps she will have to don her disguise and give us a further report. It would appear that the information on this Hikercentral.com site may not be very current and I get suspicious about the accuracy when I read reviews that are so positive and wonder who wrote them (or perhaps paid to have them written).

There is a 2008 article from the Glacier Reporter at the end of this thread which reported that the Tribe was hoping to re-open the campground but I have not seen any further news:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=8&t=1599

This article mentions other campgrounds owned by the Tribe at Duck Lake and at Red Eagle. Does anyone know anything about those places and are they in fact open?

Lyman
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

llholmes1948 wrote:Looking at the Park Service map of Glacier, I see that there is a U.S. Forest Service campground at Devil Creek, on U.S. 2 between Summit and Essex, and another U.S. Forest Service campground at Big Creek on the outside North Fork Road a short ways south of the Camas Creek park entrance.

Does anyone know much about those campgrounds and do they usually have space available?

Thanks,
Lyman

Big Creek is a fantastic campground and I've never seen it full. There is a ton of info on it including an on-site photo here:

Big Creek Campground

Some might see the dead timber from fires as a negative, however. Devils Creek is very small but in a really cool forest. A bit too tight for me.
dnickels

Post by dnickels »

I've been to Devil's Creek before. As mentioned it's small (14 sites I think?) and it sits pretty close to the road. It's a long narrowish loop so those sites towards the back aren't bad, but on a still night if you were in one of the sites closest to the road you would hear some traffic.

Running water from the faucets, vault toilets. There's a creek (hence the name) that goes right along one edge of the campground. Nice and treed, next time I'm there I'll take some pics and get them up somewhere to help with your list.

I can't speak to whether it fills or not, but I would have no problem recommending it to someone.
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

I would say you cannot rely on getting a site at Many Glacier even getting there at 11 a.m. this summer, before labor day. I've never seen Many Glacier so busy, so early. People were looking for campsites as early as 7 a.m. The word there (and in Yellowstone) is that more people than ever are camping instead of staying in hotels and as a result things are filling up quickly. I would guess that the posted times for campgrounds filling, when listed late, may not be entirely correct. If you want a site I would get there as early as possible. Again, I haven't looked to see what the official fill times are but from being in the campgrounds, I have never seen it like that.

I will second the recommendation for Cutbank campground if you are tenting it or have a camper on your truck. I personally wouldn't pull my popup camper on that road I don't think.

I heard that Chewing Blackbones is supposed to be revamping and opening later this summer or next summer. That would be awesome and they would get a lot of business if they have decent bathrooms, etc. I'd sure stay there over the KOA if I couldn't get into Many Glacier. I've been curious about Summit as well. There used to be a campground at Kiowa but that place was all closed up the times we drove by this summer. I don't know about the Duck Lake Road campgrounds but can ask the Gladstone's. I do think that the Leaning Tree Cafe has tent sites...I will check and post, that would be very convenient to Many Glacier but I always forget about it. I can attest that the food there is excellent!
Tara

Post by Tara »

Here's what I found out...the Leaning Tree does have a campground, tents and smaller RV's for sure, call about larger ones...Mariah wasn't positive about those. Sites are $15 (I'm pretty sure that includes power and water) and there are bathrooms and showers. As I said before, the cafe has very good home-cooked food too. Mariah Gladstone, Jack's daughter, is a waitress there. Here are the details:
Highway 464
Babb, MT 59411
(406) 338-5322

Hwy 464 is Duck Lake Road. This is the closest option to Many Glacier, just up the hill from 89. It didn't list a number but literally a mile or less up from 89 just a few miles south of Babb.

Jack said there aren't any other campgrounds on Duck Lake Road that he's aware of.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

Glacier Haven Inn near Essex is about halfway between East and West Glacier. They have just added RV and tent spots set in the woods. It's a good place to have access to either the East or West side. Food and service at the Inn is outstanding.
july gal
Donator
Donator

Post by july gal »

Although we didn't stop to check it out this year, Chewing Blackbones (10 mins from Many) looked open with activity this year. Past years it seemed deserted when viewing from the road but this year we saw campers, people and maybe tipis from the road. Close location, even if you grab it for a night and move into Many...
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” — Margaret Atwood
slowhiker
Donator
Donator

Post by slowhiker »

I thought the "open" sign at Chewing Blackbones was a pretty good indication, but I didn't see anyone actually camping there.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Is there any place which offers tent camping within easy walking distance of downtown West Glacier? How about within easy walking distance of downtown East Glacier?

Thanks,
Lyman

(To clarify, by using the term "within easy walking distance of downtown West Glacier" I do not mean Apgar.)

Return to “Camping”