First Timer to Glacier and need advice and suggestions.

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jameswh0
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

First Timer to Glacier and need advice and suggestions.

Post by jameswh0 »

I've browsed the forum some and gotten some ideas but wanted other suggestions from the group. Me and 4 very good friends are headed to Glacier this JUNE. We will be there a total of 6 days but the first and last days will be used for travel since we are coming from ATL. So basically we will have 4 days THU-SUN to explore.

Based on our research we will probably head to Lake Kintla for our trip. It has the isolation and the privacy we are looking for. We are interested in backpacking in to a campsite and then spending the "down" time doing day hikes, fishing and possibly some canoeing.

I am looking for suggestions on hike routes, things to see, where to visit on the initial days in and out (local eateries/bars) and any other information you think that would make this trip as EPIC as we intend.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: First Timer to Glacier and need advice and suggestions.

Post by Ear Mountain »

Welcome to the group-

June is our wettest month of the year. You can expect periods of low clouds and precipitation so be prepared for that. Nights are often pretty cold then too. High elevation trails will still be closed by snow. If Logan Pass is open the Highline Trail there will most likely still be closed. Most other high passes will be closed as well. You should be able to reach Kintla Lake and camp there but there is only one trail in that vicinity. It goes to Upper kintla Lake and over boulder Pass (which will still be impassable in June due to snow). Also be aware that 5 people on a backpack trip require two sites in the backcountry campgrounds. May not be a problem for low elevation areas in June but later in the summer you will definitely need BC reservations.

For an epic adventure I make two suggestions:

1. Plan on coming later in the summer (July or August would be much better)(mid July through most of August is usually dry and warmer) to see and experience the high country.
2. Plan on a longer trip. Backpacking is inexpensive compared to staying in lodges so you could make the most of the dollar you are spending on air fare by spending more time in the park.

Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Welcome! Since you're new to this site, the FAQs at this link might come in handy for helping to plan your trip:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=1&t=580
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
trillerud1
Donator
Donator

Post by trillerud1 »

Kintla is one of my favorite places ... but it is limited in terms of hikes you can do from the campsite. Hiking to Upper Kintla is doable; canoeing to the end of Kintla & hiking over to Upper Kintla might make a few more hikes possible to do in a day.

Note - Fishing is OK in Kintla, not OK in Upper Kintla.

-robin
"There is just one hope for repulsing the tyrannical ambition of civilization to conquer every niche of the whole earth. That hope is the organization of spirited people who will fight for the freedom of the wilderness."
- Robert Marshall
jameswh0

Post by jameswh0 »

Thanks for all the great info. We are now pondering out timing of the trip. Seems it might be better to go a little later in the summer.
jameswh0

Post by jameswh0 »

Any suggestions on the best coffee and breakfast in the area? I checked out the board and got some mixed reviews...
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Farmgirl »

jameswh0 wrote:Any suggestions on the best coffee and breakfast in the area? I checked out the board and got some mixed reviews...
If you're going to be up in the North Fork, eat breakfast at the Polebridge Merc.!!!!!!!!!!!!! You WILL NOT be disappointed!!! They have all sorts of baked goodness and these breakfast pocket things that are full of pure breakfast joy!!!!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Farmgirl wrote:
jameswh0 wrote:Any suggestions on the best coffee and breakfast in the area? I checked out the board and got some mixed reviews...
If you're going to be up in the North Fork, eat breakfast at the Polebridge Merc.!!!!!!!!!!!!! You WILL NOT be disappointed!!! They have all sorts of baked goodness and these breakfast pocket things that are full of pure breakfast joy!!!!

Mmmmm.........Huckleberry Bear claws.........mmmmmmmm.......
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jen wrote:
Farmgirl wrote:

Mmmmm.........Huckleberry Bear claws.........mmmmmmmm.......

......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Hmmm, "best coffee" might be subjective, depending on where you're coming from!

The Polebridge Merc has awesome pastries, and drinkable coffee. I've never had the Huckleberry Bearclaws (but I definitely will next time), but I've had many of the other pastries and they're all good!

I had very good breakfasts at the West Glacier Restaurant, nothing fancy, kind of a family diner atmosphere, but fun and good food and good service. coffee was acceptable.

There's a little Latte/Espresso cart in West Glacier, that served ok latte's, not quite up to the standards of my daily espresso shop here in Seattle, but not bad.

We need to organize all the postings from the RestaurantReview thread into some kind of sorted searchable database? hmmm, I wonder????....
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Matt,

You can search the category now for different references to different things, right now I am working on getting this moved to the better server, and really don't want to add any more features right now, the database for this is gigantic already.

Dave
ManyGlacierSean

Post by ManyGlacierSean »

Checkout the Bulldog Saloon in Whitefish if you are in the Kallispell/Whitefish area. Cool bar, good food (really good sandwiches), very nice owner, ugly bulldog.
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
mattB

Post by mattB »

daveparker wrote:Matt,

You can search the category now for different references to different things, right now I am working on getting this moved to the better server, and really don't want to add any more features right now, the database for this is gigantic already.

Dave
Dave,
I didn't mean to imply I was suggesting changes to the chat forum, or adding new features. I've used the search function and it works pretty well. I was thinking more of something completely separate, where I'd pull off an extract of messages from the RestaurantReview thread, and organize them into a separate database.

Another option is to use the standard Google search, but add "site:glacierparkchat.com" to your search terms, (or put glacierparkchat.com in the "search within site or domain" field if you're using AdvancedSearch), that will search all the threads. Or adding the thread name might work to restrict it?
>> "park cafe" "RestaurantReviews" site:glacierparkchat.com <<

That seems to be finding a lot of old archived search results though?
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Hi Matt,

No problem at all, I think what will eventually happen, is we are going to be moving to the new server, and this chat system will become an archived database, I have a couple of people I am working with right now that is looking at options and the best way to do things. And I am looking at going with a different software package that gives us more security, as well as speed and such. After I figure the best way to do this, I just might get with all the Moderation team and see if we can't collaborate and write a book together, that could be picked up in the park as well as other outlets.

Thanks.

Dave
jameswh0

Post by jameswh0 »

You guys hijacking my topic?!? :shock:

Return to “Camping”