outdoor cooking

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jane b.
Please add the numbers(11): 0

outdoor cooking

Post by jane b. »

Does anyone know if their outdoor grills at Rising Sun cabins or Swiftcurrent cabins?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: outdoor cooking

Post by Ear Mountain »

Don't know about Rising sun but there are no grills at the Swiftcurrent cabins. The Grinnell Picnic area is a short distance away though and there are grills, water, bathrooms, trash cans and picnic tables there. Not far from Rising Sun cabins is the Rising Sun Picnic area with the same type facilities.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
jane b.

Post by jane b. »

Thanks !, for the info; the picnic areas are a good idea but I guess I'll just have to eat out. :arrow: After a few nights of dehydrated dinners I'll probally be ready for real food.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Let's hope that there is some improvement at the place this year but due to the poor reviews that one well known restaurant in Babb received last year, I am quite impressed with the thought of grilling a steak in a picnic area in the Park.

Lyman
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

due to the poor reviews that one well known restaurant in Babb received last year, I am quite impressed with the thought of grilling a steak in a picnic area in the Park.
Keep in mind not ALL of us who at ate that certain well-known restaurant in Babb had bad experiences. I ate there several times last summer and it was as wonderful as always. I sometimes wonder if it's a matter of expectations and perception. But in many dinners there, I have yet to have a bad one and I also think the staff/service is great. Give it a try!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tara wrote:Keep in mind not ALL of us who at ate that certain well-known restaurant in Babb had bad experiences. I ate there several times last summer and it was as wonderful as always. I sometimes wonder if it's a matter of expectations and perception. But in many dinners there, I have yet to have a bad one and I also think the staff/service is great. Give it a try!
Tara,

Thanks for your post and I agree that this depends on one's expectations. If I recall correctly this place used to get very positive reviews on the Chat several years ago. Then in 2008, the reviews were mixed and in 2009 the clear majority of reviews on the Chat seemed to nosedive. I will await with interest the reviews from this year. If I understand the menu prices correctly it would cost my family of four over $100 to eat there and I would like to see some better news before trying that.

Lyman
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

the restaurant at rising sun is excellent, reasonable.
Tara

Post by Tara »

Tara,

Thanks for your post and I agree that this depends on one's expectations. If I recall correctly this place used to get very positive reviews on the Chat several years ago. Then in 2008, the reviews were mixed and in 2009 the clear majority of reviews on the Chat seemed to nosedive. I will await with interest the reviews from this year. If I understand the menu prices correctly it would cost my family of four over $100 to eat there and I would like to see some better news before trying that.

Lyman
Lyman -

I noticed that too but I've eaten there since 2006 or so and again, have yet to have a remotely negative experience. That's why I sometimes wonder if people going in with different expectations are going away disappointed. As for price, keep in mind that most of the steaks feed two adults and then you order an extra potatoe/veggies and that changes the pricing a lot. If you go in with two adults/4 adults each ordering their own steak, be prepared to take home 4 boxes of food. It will be interesting to see what the review are this year but again, we all LOVE this place after many times there.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

One thing to take into account, as has been stated, every bodies expectations are different when it comes to a dining experience.. After living here as long as I have, my expectations have definitely been changed, from the days when I lived in the big city, of course, I don't wear a suit and tie to work everyday any longer either..

I know when I first moved here, I was always disappointed in my dining experiences..now I find myself, being satisfied most of the time. Now when It comes to the restaurant in question, I can say, I have never had a good experience at that restaurant..but I also recognize that others have had a great experience there...so I guess to put it in perspective, you can or you might not have a good or bad experience...but we have to understand, the experience is always in the eye of the beholder, what is good to one, may be horrible to another...

Dave
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tara wrote: As for price, keep in mind that most of the steaks feed two adults and then you order an extra potatoe/veggies and that changes the pricing a lot. If you go in with two adults/4 adults each ordering their own steak, be prepared to take home 4 boxes of food.
Tara,
Thanks for that advice and I will keep that in mind.
Lyman
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i have had great meals and crappy meals at Cbaron over the years. i like the babb press, if open this season.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I don't know why I wrote that that way...should have just said "if you go in with 4 adults"...
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

jane b. wrote:Does anyone know if their outdoor grills at Rising Sun cabins or Swiftcurrent cabins?
I've never stayed at the cabins at Rising Sun. I always camp in the CG.

I've been there 3 times in the last month and have utterly failed to actually go and look at what they have at the cabins
Sorry Jane :(

Here's a short, corny video clip of the CG I made last week. :wink: The type of fire pit/grill in the CG is pretty typical of many places I've been.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PoliticalHa ... aG7XVdcpFQ

Have you called them to see what they have?

I kinda doubt they do have them. The firehazard issue maybe? I guess they feel people can go to the picnic area across the road. Not convenient, but doable.

pocketlint

Lyman, my steak in this video was REALLY good :wink:
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Enjoyed your videos! Especially the one of the ma grizz with the 3 cubs on the Iceberg Lake trail!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pocketlint wrote: Lyman, my steak in this video was REALLY good :wink:
Indeed it looks to be so and those vegetables don't look bad either! Enjoyed your video very much.

Lyman

Return to “Lodging”