campground question

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Backpacker1
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

campground question

Post by Backpacker1 »

We are doing a backcountry trip from Jackson Glacier Overlook to Lake McDonald. Is there a CG that allows you to stay the night previous without reservations? Or do we need to have reservations at a CG such as Many Glacier or St Mary? Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
BP1
Pocketlint

Re: campground question

Post by Pocketlint »

Rising Sun CG would be perfect imo. It's just down the road from Jackson Overlook.

First come first serve. I stayed there last Monday night and walked out to Gunsight Lake the next morning.

Rising Sun CG, according to park stats, doesn't usually fill up till afternoons, but best get a site as early as you can to be safe. They have fire rings/potable water/bathrooms $20.00/night. $10/night for us old folks with a "card" :wink:

pocketlint

hereya go

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... sing%20Sun
Last edited by Pocketlint on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacker1
Gender?: Male

Post by Backpacker1 »

pocketlint,

Thanks for the reply as this is one CG that I had not thought about. There is so much to consider when the backcountry trip is in the middle of your planned trip. We have a couple of days before and after before flying back home. Again, thanks for the info...

BP1
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

You probably know you can't reserve at Many Glacier, and last year the second week of July it was hard to find a site even at 8 or 9 am.
Rising Sun CG, according to park stats, doesn't usually fill up till afternoons, but best get a site as early as you can to be safe. They have fire rings/potable water/bathrooms $20.00/night. $10/night for us old folks with a "card"
I don't always trust those times they post...they say about Many Glacier too that it fills by noon or something but in my experience it is very difficult to find a site after 9 am and people last summer were looking for sites at 7 am.

St. Mary might be your best choice...and don't forget the St. mary KOA too, if you get desperate.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

The times may be wrong, and if they are, talk to the Park service.

Rising Sun did fill up this past Tuesday night. I'd just try to get there before noon to make sure.

pocketlint
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

I think sometimes what happens is since checkout is at 11 some people don't leave until then and many people have given up looking for a site at MG by then so the time posted may reflect a late checkout and late person arriving at that site. It just isn't necessarily an accurate account of how easy/hard it is to get a site at a certain campground.

Return to “Camping”