Swiftcurrent Motor Inn to MGH

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sueoz

Swiftcurrent Motor Inn to MGH

Post by sueoz »

Hi - We're staying at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn for 5 nights. Is the distance from there to Many Glacier Hotel just a short walk? Do most of you use your feet or your car?
Thanks,
Sue
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Swiftcurrent Motor Inn to MGH

Post by toddnick »

I think that it is about a mile; certainly walkable but not just a short stroll....I usually drive between them because I've generally already hiked 10-15 miles on any given day and welcome the less strenuous option.....
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

Bears, sheep, and goats often frequent the slopes of Mt. Altyn and can be seen from the road between Swiftcurrent and MGH. When that happens, you'll see "animal jams" of vehicles beside the road and rangers trying to keep traffic moving. If you're walking, you have a better chance of observing the wildlife.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

We love to walk or run to and from Many Glacier and Swiftcurrent. Sometimes, depending on what we're up for (and what the kids are doing), I will drive from SC to MG, park the car, and run/walk back. Then we'll take the whole fam on a stroll to MG and drive back. But, no, you won't be saying "I'll be right back - I'm going to walk up to MG to grab some toothpaste."
sueoz

Post by sueoz »

Thanks! So - if we're exhausted - use the car. If not - maybe have a nice wildlife walk. Sounds good.
Sue
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

It is walkable, one thing you should know typically driving you park up and across the road from the lodge,
but its downhill to the lodge, up to the car lot you can see even the lot is not just next to the entrance
This picture was taken just as I left the parking lot

"If you leave me now
You'll take away the biggest part of me..."
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
Tara

Post by Tara »

Keep in mind that the slopes very close to the road on parts of that are "bear heaven" and there are times you see both grizzlies and black bears very close to the road or even crossing the road. Keep that in mind if you plan to walk it. I don't know that I'd ever walk that stretch without bear spray out, esp in the morning and from 3 or 4 pm on.
sueoz

Post by sueoz »

Thanks. I'm guessing that we would mainly be heading over there to check the place out if we have a rainy day or maybe late in the day for a change. I don't really want to be stuck in a bear jam, but also not sure I want to walk through one!! We were at a bear jam at yellowstone which involved a very large grizzly who wanted to cross the road. I was very glad I was in a car. I think we'll just play it by ear, but thanks for all the input.
Sue
Tara

Post by Tara »

Thanks. I'm guessing that we would mainly be heading over there to check the place out if we have a rainy day or maybe late in the day for a change. I don't really want to be stuck in a bear jam, but also not sure I want to walk through one!! We were at a bear jam at yellowstone which involved a very large grizzly who wanted to cross the road. I was very glad I was in a car. I think we'll just play it by ear, but thanks for all the input.
Sue
Bear and bison jams can be fun as long as people give the bear/bison room to actually cross! My kids have written a song called "buffalo jam". Anyway, late in the day or rainy day...personally I wouldn't do it. Be very careful, have bear spray and make a lot of noise. Seriously, probably 50% of the bears we've seen in Glacier have been in that stretch of road, sometimes far up, sometimes very close to or crossing the road. That said, many people walk this stretch all the time. I just have to wonder if they have any idea how many bears are around.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Tara wrote:
Sue
Bear and bison jams can be fun as long as people give the bear/bison room to actually cross! My kids have written a song called "buffalo jam". Anyway, late in the day or rainy day...personally I wouldn't do it. Be very careful, have bear spray and make a lot of noise. Seriously, probably 50% of the bears we've seen in Glacier have been in that stretch of road, sometimes far up, sometimes very close to or crossing the road. That said, many people walk this stretch all the time. I just have to wonder if they have any idea how many bears are around.
I was driving between Swiftcurrent and MGH one morning when I passed a black bear just off the road in the woods. A jogger was coming down the road towards me, so I rolled down my window and told him what I'd just seen. I never saw a runner do an about-face so fast in my life!
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Tara

Post by Tara »

I was driving between Swiftcurrent and MGH one morning when I passed a black bear just off the road in the woods. A jogger was coming down the road towards me, so I rolled down my window and told him what I'd just seen. I never saw a runner do an about-face so fast in my life!
Exactly! I've seen bears close to the road all times of day. It would be the world's prettiest place to job but I wouldn't do it...

Return to “Lodging”