Campsite availability in park.

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jnt
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Campsite availability in park.

Post by jnt »

We have been watching the "fill times" of the park campgrounds at http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... status.cfm.

We are flying into Kalispell a little aftert 12:00 noon this coming Sunday and are wondering if we will find a site (without having reservations) in the West side of the park along GTTS (we prefer Spague Creek). We had originally planned on driving to Two Med for a site but they have been filling before we will even reach Montana.

Does anyone know of private campgounds in the West Glacier area? We will just need one night and hope to be on the East side, probably Rising Sun, for a site bright and early Monday morning.

Thanks for your help! You folks are a great trip planning resource.
JnT
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Campsite availability in park.

Post by Ear Mountain »

Regardless of the times posted Sprague fills quite early. The campground I've stayed at on the west side (outside of Glacier) was the West Glacier Campground. It's a big campground and not every site accommodates tents very well so if you check in and they assign you a site that is not flat head back to the office to switch. If they still have the evening BBQ it always was a good deal. There is also the West Glacier KOA.

Either of these places will give you a night to stage for Sprague or Two Medicine or wherever.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Not sure if this is the same as the West Glacier Campground but I've stayed at Glacier Campground (www.glaciercampground.com) and it was a nice, wooded campground.

Another option is to stay on the East side at the St. Mary KOA or at Johnson's. Good luck!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Tara wrote:Not sure if this is the same as the West Glacier Campground but I've stayed at Glacier Campground (http://www.glaciercampground.com) and it was a nice, wooded campground.

Another option is to stay on the East side at the St. Mary KOA or at Johnson's. Good luck!
I think that is the place I meant. I never met Pork Chop or Skeeter though.
jnt

Post by jnt »

Thanks All,
I think we'll give Glacier CG a try. The location works out grest. Then head over to the east side in the morning.
JnT
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

If all else fails head out the Camas Creek road, turn left and go a couple of miles and you will run into the Big Creek Campground, it normally never fills and is a nice campground to stay in, Deb and I enjoy it quite often, but of course we are westies! :D Trying to drive to the east side and look for a campground late in the day, could leave you in a conundrum, Big Creek is a nice place to stay if you can't find someplace in the park.

(And Yes, there is a lot of things to do on the west side of the park!!!)

Dave
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

I've never heard of Big Creek Campground! I will have to check this out! Yes, there are things to do on the West side! :D
I never met Pork Chop or Skeeter though
?????
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tara wrote:I've never heard of Big Creek Campground! I will have to check this out! Yes, there are things to do on the West side! :D
I never met Pork Chop or Skeeter though
?????
This is what Ralph was referring to (scroll down):

http://www.glaciercampground.com/amenities.htm

Tara,
I think it would do you a world of good to meet Pork Chop and Skeeter.
Lyman
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

It is amazing how things change substantially around August 15th.....

I'm not sure why the first half of August of all the campgrounds fill up with many of them (Many Glacier, Sprague Creek, Rising Sun) filled by 9AM; yet once the third week of August comes around it is like night and day with none of the campgrounds filling before noon and only half of them filling each night. School hasn't started yet (except maybe some colleges), the weather is just as good, the services are all the same, there are probably fewer bugs....

Why the dramatic difference?? and why don't more people take advantage of it?? Just curious.....I'm not sure why anyone would choose the first half of August over the second half.....
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

toddnick wrote:It is amazing how things change substantially around August 15th.....

I'm not sure why the first half of August of all the campgrounds fill up with many of them (Many Glacier, Sprague Creek, Rising Sun) filled by 9AM; yet once the third week of August comes around it is like night and day with none of the campgrounds filling before noon and only half of them filling each night. School hasn't started yet (except maybe some colleges), the weather is just as good, the services are all the same, there are probably fewer bugs....

Why the dramatic difference?? and why don't more people take advantage of it?? Just curious.....I'm not sure why anyone would choose the first half of August over the second half.....
School started here on August 11. Some local school districts started a week before that.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

ahhh...

Up here school starts right after Labor Day, if it starts in August in several areas of the country, that would explain it!!!!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Many Montana schools start the third week of August. Even if school starts later people are heading home. The peak season in Glacier starts winding down after August 15th.

Return to “Camping”