Another Campground Availability Question

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ohio Scott
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Another Campground Availability Question

Post by Ohio Scott »

Hi folks,

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip to Glacier next summer (late July/early August). She's never been and the last time I was there was Fall of 1992 - a day after a hiker was killed and partially consumed by a grizzly. It was a little nerve-racking hiking and camping then!

We're flying into Kalispell and will probably get a room at Lake McDonald the first night as we'll have to pick up groceries, rented equipment, car, etc. and won't know what time we'll get to the park. As we're avid hikers and wildlife watchers, we're planning on 2 nights of camping on the west side and the next 10 nights on the Logan Pass/east side area. Is it likely that we can get a site at Many Glacier after getting up early on the west side or would it be better to reserve a site at St Mary's for a night and go to MG from there? We're also planning on some nights at Two Medicine CG.

Thanks!
Ohio Scott
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Another Campground Availability Question

Post by toddnick »

I'd say that it is probable (but no certainty) that if you arrive mid-morning that there will be availability at MG Campground (you will be there at the busiest time). In this situation, I reserve a night at the Swiftcurerrent Cabins (which are only $75/night) across the street from the campground. This allows me to grab a great site in the morning and still have lots of time for hiking!!!!
Ohio Scott
Gender?: Male

Post by Ohio Scott »

Thanks - that's a great idea. I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions as planning continues!
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Things have really changed at Many Glacier as far as campsite availability. At that time of year people are circling looking for sites as early as 7 am. Yes, I said 7 am. So while there may be campers not leaving until 10 or 11 they will most likely have already let someone reserve your site. Unless you are on the road very, very early (like by 5 am) your chances aren't very good. I would do what was Sean suggested and get a cabin at Swiftcurrent...that's worked well for me. Otherwise St. Mary is a good option too. Good luck!

Return to “Camping”