Lack of quiet hour enforcement at Apgar?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Montana09
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Lack of quiet hour enforcement at Apgar?

Post by Montana09 »

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I had a couple comments mentioned to me earlier this year, and was subjected to an awful night of camping at Apgar this September where a party that arrived at 1 am (their gear was already set up) partied into the night to at least five am.

A frustrating evening to say the least.
Pocketlint

Re: Lack of quiet hour enforcement at Apgar?

Post by Pocketlint »

The best thing to have done would have been to go the Park Ranger office and report it if the Camp Host was not available....if you ddin't care to confront them personally.

Saturday night, at Swiftcurrent CG I finally had to holler at the people in the campsite next to me. I was in #41. The tentsites are pretty close together and my hearing isn't the best. However, I could hear them talking in their tent past midnight. I finally yelled out, "I can hear you over here.". They quieted down after that.

I agree it is outrageous but it's a sign of the times and our culture's decaying sense of respect and politeness....imho.

pocketlint
LoveNature
Gender?: Female

Post by LoveNature »

Wow. I didn't think there were people like that on a camp site. How ridiculous is that? The last time I checked, camping was supposed to be a relaxing activity. Whenever I went camping, I never encountered loud, obnoxious people like that. I agree with Pocketlint. Communicate with the people in charge and they will be able to help you out. Camping sites are supposed to be quite and serene, for the most part -- so they should definitely enforce those rules!
I love to travel, But hate to arrive.
Hernando Cortez
Anyone know of any cheap cargo trailers?
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Ppl just don't realize (or don't care). My night at Apgar was quieter and more peaceful than my night at KOA campground (showers, hot tub, heated pool were the lures): across from the tent area is a row of Kamping Kabins with front-porch lights. I got up after 11 p.m. to knock on everybody's door and ask would they please turn off their porch lights, shining directly into my tent. They did, but REALLY!! Go camping to move into a house and leave the porch light on??
Earplugs are a godsend.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

Selkie - don't even get me started on camping lights. :)
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Montana09 wrote:Selkie - don't even get me started on camping lights. :)
What???????????? :shock:

You mean you wouldn't be in favor of every camper being required to have a Coleman fuel latern going full blast until midnight?

hehehehehe :wink:

pocketlint
twohappykampers

Post by twohappykampers »

We've had our share of noisy nights at KOA....won't stay there again. We've also had our share of noisy people at Sprague, and even the camp host doesn't do anything....why? Because the host is waaaaaayyyyy over in the picnic area sleeping peacefully and too far to hear all the racket. We stay out of Apgar because the smoke from campfires doesn't want to blow away and just lingers........yes it does Janet............and if you have asthma it doesn't mix. Nothing worse than noisy people who keep everyone up half the night. Of course you might think of it this way.....no bear in it's right mind would enter a noisy campground! :lol:
Ken & Mary Ann
Life's a mountain, not a beach!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I stayed at Rising Sun CG 3 times back in June and July.

There was no noise after 10PM on the nights I was there, and I think I know why.

The Park Ranger living on site was pretty aggressive about patrolling the area....mostly warning people about storing food, etc. properly. And when he wasn't out there, other rangers were from time to time. It seems I saw a ranger every hour or so between say 4-5PM and 10PM. And on several occasions(over the three visits) I recall them coming through in the middle of the night.

I suppose some might think they were too intrusive, but it didn't bother me.

Probably why I spent some nice, peaceful nights there.
Ya think?

pocketlint :wink:
Tara

Post by Tara »

I'm assuming you are all referring to the West Glacier KOA?
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I know when I was in the St. Mary KOA a couple of months ago, that place was WILD and very noisy...
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

Pocketlint wrote:
Montana09 wrote:Selkie - don't even get me started on camping lights. :)
What???????????? :shock:

You mean you wouldn't be in favor of every camper being required to have a Coleman fuel latern going full blast until midnight?

hehehehehe :wink:

pocketlint

hahahha..... I don't mind them when they light the picnic table. It's when people bring the yard spotlights hooked to a tree that light up half the forest and block the stars when I get upset. Trust me, that happens a lot.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

The KOA at St Mary was pretty noisy down in L-section where I was Labor Day weekend. The bad weather quieted things down on Sunday night though.

Regarding lights and Coleman lanterns, etc. All I had at KOA labor Day weekend was my headlamp :)

I'm really amused at what many people call "camping out".

They come in these MONSTER RV's or towing campers that fold out, etc.....all that have more floor space than my apartment, equipped with generators that would light up a good size house, and all manner of furniture and other creature comforts like "boom boxes"...all to "enjoy nature" LOLOLOLOL!!!

Yeah right!!

And then they have the cheek to get all indignant if you point out "rules" like no generators at certain hours, blah blah....

Yeah yeah, I know..."This is America, each to his own."

pocketlint :wink:

PS

I think we need to separate camping at private enterprise campgrounds and GNP campgrounds.
KOA and the private enterprise aren't going to do but so much. Nobody wants to lose business in this climate.

Government run CG's are a different matter. The Park Rangers should enforce the rules...period.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

After a particularly bad night at Lake Sangre de Christo in S. Illinois listening to my neighbors 10 feet away, ahem, I formulated a mystery novel series in which murders in CGs would be blamed on Bigfoot (of course, I intended to spring on neighbors' tent with bloodcurdling cries and rake them to bits with my long and bloody claws, first slashing the tent to do so), progressing from Midwest to Pacific Northwest. I tried out this idea on an eminent mammalogist, who snorted: "Southern Illinois is outside Bigfoot's range."

ROFL :lol:

I actually wrote 3 pages of it. It was pretty good, IMO. The mammalogist goes on the trail of Bigfoot and dies among the, um, alders in Washington state. Last seen being carried away gently, tenderly, by Bigfoot in a blinding snowstorm. Mammalogist has a young female grad student RA who lives in Southport Slough. There is also a missing field notebook that holds the key to Bigfoot.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

I love that premise.
acampingwewillgo

Post by acampingwewillgo »

Gee.....Im sorry that some's idea of camping doesnt quite match up to others. Some of us use Coleman laterns in an unfamiliar campsite because we dont feel like stumbling into the fire pit. (besides, its the best bang for the buck). Im all for following the rules and guidelines at a particular site but dont think your way of "roughing it" is any better or worst than someone else. Having a campfire and sitting around it and talking isnt a bad thing for a family and or friends(within the rules). I also agree, they should separate the campground....snobs in one area and general public (thats the considerate, compromising ones) in another! IMHO!

Return to “Camping”