Johnson's Campground

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

Johnson's Campground

Post by Jen »

Can anyone recommend a nice tent site at Johnson's? Shaded, Large and near the water tap would be ideal.
Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Johnson's Campground

Post by Jay w »

RV or tent? I haven't been there much except to watch fireworks, but it's mostly RVs, a few tent sites, and a few cabins. I think there are trees furthest away from the office (towards the river)...but our stroll through the place was with a beer in hand and lots of talking.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

I was there for the last night celebration with Mel, Kathy, Bruce, John, and Val in 2009.....I don't remember many trees in the campground....but I was celebrating as well....
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay: I edited my post to include "tent".

I think the sites towards the river seemed preferable when I made a quick pass through last year while my laundry was drying. I now wish I would have taken notes. :?

It was laundry day so it is likely I was beering. I sense a theme here.........
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That one got me laughing.

Here's a map:
http://www.johnsonsofstmary.com/service ... /cgmap.htm

but the problem is, I _think_ the tenting loop doesn't have many trees. I think the trees were down in sites 16, 17, 36-39. I was hoping that by stating the wrong information, someone who knew the right information would jump in. Ralph Johnson stays there each year, so maybe you can fire off a message to him. (I think he and MarxMN hike together.)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

It sounds like you people need a designated guide to see that you get in the correct tent for the night.

Let me know if I can help. In exchange for a meal at Johnson's Cafe, I probably wouldn't charge anything extra.

Lyman
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Post by flatlander »

KOA was recommended to me by a Glacier friend:

http://koa.com/campgrounds/st-mary/

That link is for the campground map. Section K and L are tent sites. I was in L23 last year. L25 is the primo site in that section. Close to river and at the end of the road. Lots of shade and trees. Its a real nice site. Depending on time of year, I'm sure there are skeeters though.
Koa has much nicer facilities as well. Nice hottub and showers. Very nice laundry and small store.
I dunnno why everyone thinks Johnsons is better unless it's because they know the owners maybe?

Return to “Camping”