Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

2012 Lodging

Post by Hockey Ref »

Just FYI, I just tried booking cabins at Swiftcurrent for the the last week of July or the first week of August in 2012 and they are already booked solid for those two weeks. I was shocked as I'd been told previously that 2012 reservations wouldn't be accepted until March of this year, and today is March 1. The woman on the phone said people must have been able to get into the system and make the bookings. I had to go with mid-August. Not my first choice as the wildflowers probably will have peaked, but it's still Glacier.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: 2012 Lodging

Post by toddnick »

HR,

I noticed that GPI replaced their old on-line reservation system a few months ago. The old system would only show dates in the current year and you would have to call for reservations further in the future....

The new system allows you to select dates in 2012 (it still isn't a great system, but a lot better and more user friendly than what they had before); I bet that the cabins started filling right after they put the new system in.....

It still surprises me that the cabins are filled for almost 18 months out...

You'll still have a great time (and probably better weather)!!!!
van
Gender?: Female

Post by van »

Does anyone have comments on Lake 5 Resort on the West end of Glacier?
We can get in there and was wondering about other's thoughts.
Thanks.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

van wrote:Does anyone have comments on Lake 5 Resort on the West end of Glacier?
We can get in there and was wondering about other's thoughts.
Thanks.
No one has yet answered your question so I will give it a try. My information is probably dated and corrections would certainly be welcome.

I have never stayed there but my impression is that it is primarily a family oriented campground facility. I think for many people who stay there Lake Five is THE destination and they spend the day enjoying the lake activities. I suspect that for many of the guests there, the Park is only a sideshow not the main event of their vacation and probably many don't visit the Park at all.

Lake Five is a small lake and be aware that the BNSF Railway main line runs along the north side of the Lake. I don't know if train noise is much of an issue there or not. Years ago if we were returning to Lake McDonald Lodge on the train after a night in Whitefish or at Big Mountain, we would be on the lookout for Lake Five because it would be a sign that our stop at Belton (West Glacier) would only be several minutes away and we needed to be ready to detrain and hope that a GPI bus would be waiting at the station to get us back to the Lodge (GPI Red buses or Crown buses met many but not all of the trains.)

There was some controversy about Lake Five a few years ago because as I recall the land all around the lake was privately owned and the state wanted to have some public access to the Lake. Most if not all of the landowners were strongly opposed and I don't know how or if the issue was resolved.

Hopefully someone who has actually stayed there can post a review or further information. I wouldn't mind trying to stay there sometime but I doublt I would be inclined to do so as long as the Glacier Highland had space. I guess it depends on what type of a place you are looking for.

Hope this information is of some help and hope you have a great trip.

Lyman
van

Post by van »

Thanks for the reply. . . we may be different. . .we intend to enjoy Glacier.
But we do also enjoy cooking our own food, hence the enticement on that end.
A couple days on the west, and a couple days on the east side.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

van wrote:Thanks for the reply. . . we may be different. . .we intend to enjoy Glacier.
But we do also enjoy cooking our own food, hence the enticement on that end.
A couple days on the west, and a couple days on the east side.
Van,
Wherever you decide to stay I hope you will give us a review.
Lyman
van

Post by van »

We've learned lots of tidbits by reading here to be able to plan our trip, and I will gladly share when we return.
After all, we all learn by being a part of the community!
Tara

Post by Tara »

Van: I know nothing about that place, I think we drove by it after or on the way to a raft trip and I had forgotten about it. It would be good to know about other options for camping besides Apgar and the two on Hwy. 2. So please do let us know!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey Van and everyone:

I'll take a ride over to Lake 5 as soon as I can and take some pictures and get some information on the place. I've driven by the place many times. The road that cuts off Hwy2 to Lake 5 continues on, crossing Blankenship Bridge, and winds up at the North Fork Road.

pocketlint :wink:
idapaul

Post by idapaul »

nice to see you back pocketlint

Return to “Lodging”