Sleeping Pad, and shower water

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Lauralie0230
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sleeping Pad, and shower water

Post by Lauralie0230 »

My husband and I are traveling to GNP in July. We are VERY excited.... We are planning on camping 4 nights. I know that the rangers and park strictly enforce the guidelines concerning bears in the campground (for which I am very grateful). We want to make sure we are not encouraging any bears to come visit our campsite. Onto the question…. I love camping but primitive camping is very new to me and I need to be able to wash off after a long day of hiking… we don’t want to pay money to the hotels to use one of showers at Swiftcurrent or rising sun… and we’re going to buy a camp/solar shower (I know it's not always warm but after a long hike... a cold shower might not be too bad). I saw that if you are going to take a shower at your campsite you have to contain your water…. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best do this? I am also curious about sleeping conditions… we own an air mattress, but I have seen suggestions to buy a sleeping pad and that an air mattress will not keep you warm enough. We have sleeping bags that are 20+ and 15+. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Pocketlint

Re: Sleeping Pad, and shower water

Post by Pocketlint »

Lauralie0230 wrote:My husband and I are traveling to GNP in July. We are VERY excited.... We are planning on camping 4 nights. I know that the rangers and park strictly enforce the guidelines concerning bears in the campground (for which I am very grateful). We want to make sure we are not encouraging any bears to come visit our campsite. Onto the question…. I love camping but primitive camping is very new to me and I need to be able to wash off after a long day of hiking… we don’t want to pay money to the hotels to use one of showers at Swiftcurrent or rising sun… and we’re going to buy a camp/solar shower (I know it's not always warm but after a long hike... a cold shower might not be too bad). I saw that if you are going to take a shower at your campsite you have to contain your water…. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best do this? I am also curious about sleeping conditions… we own an air mattress, but I have seen suggestions to buy a sleeping pad and that an air mattress will not keep you warm enough. We have sleeping bags that are 20+ and 15+. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!
There are shower facilities at Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun, and others campgrounds that "token" operated. Price went up last year but still is VERY reasonable at $2.50. Most of us here use them all the time. I do when I camp at Rising Sun and Swiftcurrent. They run about 10 minutes for the $2.50. You buy "tokens" in the store and use them in the coin operated timer for the showers is how they work it. Plenty of hot water which feels great no matter the weather. Occasionally you may have to wait a few minutes, but well worth it. Bring flip flops or some footwear to wear while showering. These are afterall "public" showers and lots of us filthy, sweaty hikers will be using them :mrgreen: I'd leave the solar shower at home. It'd be a pain in the rear using at GNP's campgrounds.

Sleeping comfort is always a tricky issue since we all sleep different.
Your bags should be plenty warm enough. An air matress is certainly more comfortable than a pad. I have both. I normally don't use the air matress now that my g/f is gone. I just put a couple wool blankets on the tent floor and a pad on those is enough for me. I may bring my air mattress if I was going to be in the same spot for an extended time. You certainly don't need both a pad and an air mattress. Not imo anyway.

Looks to me you'll be fine.

pocketlint :wink:
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Post by Hockey Ref »

Agree with pocketlint on the Swiftcurrent showers. They're a good value.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
jnt

Post by jnt »

We camped at Rising Sun for 2 weeks last August and didn't use our sun shower at all....we're leaving the sun shower home this year. The token operated showers were hot, O-so-refreshing after hikes, convenient, inexpensive, and accessible. We brought the sun shower last year because we use it extensively on trips to Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming when we camp in dispersed areas. The camp sites in Glacier are fairly close together. Lets just say you get to know your neighbors.

If you end up on the east side of the park.....there are more showers at Swiftcurrent than at Rising Sun so you may want to shower at Swiftcurrent after hiking in the Many Glacier area (even if you are camping at Rising Sun).

I'm not sure about the park campgrounds on the west side, we stayed in a private campground (Glacier Cg) with showers our only night on the west side.

Sleeping comfort is an individual issue. This year we'll use the same combo we did last year - 30 degree bags on a Coleman air mattress. I don't ever remember wanting a pad underneath.

Enjoy your trip!
JnT
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I think you will be more comfortable with the air mattress. For very cold conditions (below freezing), an air mattress doesn't insulate well but you won't experience such low temps and your sleeping bags are quite warm.
Lauralie0230

Post by Lauralie0230 »

A big thanks goes to each one of you :D . I feel a lot more comfortable about our camping experience there. I'm glad to hear that you all think we'll be comfortable enough with our sleeping bags and air mattress. And my husband and I have decided to take all of your advice and not buy the solar shower and instead use the showers at swiftcurrent lodge. One more question.... How far is swiftcurrent from Many Glacier campground?
missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

Lauralie0230, welcome to the chat page. I'm sure you will find "mountains" of information here. Please make sure to check out the FAQs as they have a wealth of information also. It can be confusing in the Many Glacier area. The Many Glacier Lodge is about a mile from Swiftcurrent. The Many Glacier campground is across the parking lot from Swiftcurrent. At Swiftcurrent you will find rooms, little cabins, laundry, showers, convenience store, and restaurant. Have fun and make sure to post a trip report. My husband & I will be camping in MG in the middle of July.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Lauralie0230 wrote:A big thanks goes to each one of you :D . I feel a lot more comfortable about our camping experience there. I'm glad to hear that you all think we'll be comfortable enough with our sleeping bags and air mattress. And my husband and I have decided to take all of your advice and not buy the solar shower and instead use the showers at swiftcurrent lodge. One more question.... How far is swiftcurrent from Many Glacier campground?
Depending on where you are in the campground, you'll have a walk of 1-3 minutes to the showers at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn (not Lodge).

The FAQs mentioned by Miss Guinness above can be found at: http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... ?f=1&t=580
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Alexzander8100

Post by Alexzander8100 »

Hockey Ref wrote:
Lauralie0230 wrote:A big thanks goes to each one of you :D . I feel a lot more comfortable about our camping experience there. I'm glad to hear that you all think we'll be comfortable enough with our sleeping bags and air mattress. And my husband and I have decided to take all of your advice and not buy the solar shower and instead use the showers at swiftcurrent lodge. One more question.... How far is swiftcurrent from Many Glacier campground?
Depending on where you are in the campground, you'll have a walk of 1-3 minutes to the showers at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn (not Lodge).

The FAQs mentioned by Miss Guinness above can be found at:
Great sharing...
Thanks for sharing this... I have entered this site and
find some useful information there.

Return to “Camping”