Hand held bug zappers..

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Hand held bug zappers..

Post by July Guy »

We've done a lot of camping in Glacier, and with all the talk of Mosquitoes on the board I thought i'd put this here. Probably not something you would take hiking. Lots of folks I know in montana have these, my parents had one that we would borrow, but it broke.

They are battery powered swatters about the size of a racquetball racquet. They are great for sitting around the campfire. Anyway all the ones I found have mixed reviews (I dropped it and it broke...well, everything breaks), so we just went ahead and ordered two different brands. One was $9 and one was $15. They use 2 AA batteries. At first I wanted one that used 2 D batteries, but these should be fine. I'm excited to let out an evil laugh each time I fry a skeeter or fly. Last year all the stores in Kalispell were OUT of them, so that must say something.

We do use bug dope, and long sleeves, and head nets, just thought i'd mention one more weapon.

Here is one (not the one we ordered):

ps, these are fun, but not a toy. most have 3 layers of mesh, the middle one being the zapper, so you don't zap a finger.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Hand held bug zappers..

Post by Ear Mountain »

Better bring lots of batteries. :roll:
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Ear Mountain wrote:Better bring lots of batteries. :roll:

Heh heh, yeah we are stocked up. Won't be killing all the bugs in Montana, but sure is fun sitting on the deck or in camp. Nice to be Proactive, rather than waiting for them to land then smashing them.

*zap* :)

~ Coworker
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

July Guy wrote:
Ear Mountain wrote:Better bring lots of batteries. :roll:

Heh heh, yeah we are stocked up. Won't be killing all the bugs in Montana, but sure is fun sitting on the deck or in camp. Nice to be Proactive, rather than waiting for them to land then smashing them.

*zap* :)
Murderers!!! Apparently y'all aren't a PETA members.
Mosquitos have feelings you know. :roll:

pocketlint :wink:
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Heh heh. Last year at the lake, some friends had one that "yelled" or "cried out in pain" every time you zapped a bug. It's definitely an evil thrill, can't wait. (no skeeters here in southern colorado).

I'll leave the bumble bees alone though, they do good work. The bats do good work too, hope they are hungry.

*zap*

~ Coworker
Tiz

Post by Tiz »

I read somewhere that electric zappers are not good because the insects kind of explode and a very fine spray of unhealthy blood/liquid/whatever bespatters all humans standing close.

EDIT:

"Drawbacks

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, bug zappers can spray a mist of insect parts up to seven feet from the appliance. This mist can be inhaled and can spread bacteria and viruses. The FDA advises owners of bug zappers to keep them more than seven feet from people and food. There are some scatter-free models available that prevent this proble"

http://www.ehow.com/about_6620422_bug-z ... ation.html
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Don't believe everything you hear from the government, FDA included.
Who knows? Maybe all the exploding "fly debris" is actually good for you. Kinda like when I was a kid growing up....

Growing up in the 50's in central Florida, we kids played in the "dirt" all the time. We handled all manner of critters, bugs, and occasionally ate some disgusting stuff LOL!! I remember frequently drinking water from while swimming in Lake Elbert , the lake in front of our house...although I wouldn't do it today. Never got sick. Never in an emergency room growing up except one time to get sewn up from my first car wreck at age 16years and a couple months :)

I'm convinced my imune system is the better for it.

Kids today never go outside and play like we did. They're glued to the TV, computers, cell phones, gameboys, whatever. Music beating their brains silly through those everpresent "earbuds"... Living in their "climate controlled houses with highly filtered air" stuffing themselves with crappy food...they're diabetic and half deaf by age 12. No wonder people consider a trip to the ER "routine" these days. Sad to see.

I'm sure I'll hear from someone "That's not my kid". Ok, I believe you...

So then who's kids am I seeing every day? :)

IMO...Maybe we need more "exploding fly debris" in our lives :arrow:

pocketlint :wink:
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Tiz wrote:I read somewhere that electric zappers are not good because the insects kind of explode and a very fine spray of unhealthy blood/liquid/whatever bespatters all humans standing close.

EDIT:

"Drawbacks

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, bug zappers can spray a mist of insect parts up to seven feet from the appliance. This mist can be inhaled and can spread bacteria and viruses. The FDA advises owners of bug zappers to keep them more than seven feet from people and food. There are some scatter-free models available that prevent this proble"

Anyhoo...

The OP was about hand held bug zappers. I did include a link. These don't control bug populations, but are more of a release. We fried many a black fly and skeeter on our trip, some popped and sizzled, others burned and let off a satisfying plume of smoke. If you can't finish a sentence of a book without swatting at a fly it is fun to take action.

*zap*

~ Coworker
Stev

Post by Stev »

Tiz wrote:I read somewhere that electric zappers are not good because the insects kind of explode and a very fine spray of unhealthy blood/liquid/whatever bespatters all humans standing close.

EDIT:

"Drawbacks

Hmmm... But how come a lot this product still sells a lot. They should prohibit the use of it if it's really a threat to human health. :? A bit confusing...
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Deb and I have been using them for years with no problems at all, it is amazing how well spiders blow up!

:arrow:

Return to “Camping”