Campground for 18ft pop-up, with 5 kids-want scenery & quiet

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

hheveran
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Campground for 18ft pop-up, with 5 kids-want scenery & quiet

Post by hheveran »

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for the impossible.

We're planning to be at Glacier by Sunday, 8/21 for 3-4 days.
We're normally tent campers, but with 4 kids (ages 6-15) and a toddler (18 months), we decided to pop-up for a little more comfort and convenience for the kids' sake. We'll have an 18-foot pop-up towed by a Suburban. We're torn between camping (and grappling for a spot) at Many Glacier (bathrooms, showers, food, scenery) or someplace more quiet like Two Medicine. Our littler ones might need a bathroom pretty quick and our camper is without toilet.

We were last in Glacier-Yellowstone-Tetons some 20 years ago as newlyweds. It'll be quite different this time, I'm sure! We never stayed at MG, only at Rising Sun. It was nice, quiet, we hiked to Rose Creek nearby and caught our trout dinner-yum!

We generally like the quieter tent camping-scenery-quiet type scene, but need amenities out of necessity. Any suggestions?

We've never camped with a pop-up before, let alone an 18 footer. How hard will it be to get a site at MG with the 18-footer + Suburban? Is it easier getting a site on a Sunday or Monday? Should we consider other campgrounds? Are there easy hikes with wonderful scenery and wildlife viewing for the littler kids? We LOVED Highline trail and plan to do that.

Sorry for all the questions. Really appreciate your help. I'm sure a lot has changed since we were there.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: Campground for 18ft pop-up, with 5 kids-want scenery & q

Post by Hockey Ref »

I'd recommend Many Glacier campground for it's easy access to toilet and shower facilities. It's more bustling than some of the other campgrounds, but I do believe the rangers try to enforce a "quiet" policy at night.

The MG campground also has immediate and easy access to several great trails that would be easy for you and your family, including the valley portion of the Swiftcurrent Pass trail that passes by a chain of wonderful lakes with mountains on three sides, plus a very nice waterfall (Red Rock Falls). The trailhead is at the end of the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn parking lot which is adjacent to the campground. Just go as far as you want before turning around and heading back. Stop at Fishercap Lake about a quarter-mile down the trail to look for moose. There's also the Grinnell Lake trail (not to be confused with the Grinnell Glacier trail), which includes, if you want to do it, boat rides on Swiftcurrent and Josephine Lakes. Those would be fun for the kids. Or you can skip the boats and hike to Grinnell Lake directly from the campground.

The Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier trails are also right there in Many Glacier and offer fantastic hiking, but both are a bit more challenging than the Swiftcurrent Valley (Pass) and Grinnell Lake hikes. Iceberg is 9 miles round trip and climbs 1,200 feet while Grinnell Glacier is 11 miles round trip and climbs 1,600 feet. However, you can choose to go as far as you feel able before turning around if you think you can't do the entire hike. There's a waterfall about halfway up the Grinnell Glacier trail that pours directly onto the trail itself and includes a rocky staircase that can be slippery. You'll get wet (not soaked), and I'd use a lot of caution if I was carrying a toddler.

Another short hike in the Many Glacier area is Apikuni Falls, which is accessed from the Many Glacier Road a short driving distance from the campground. It's only a mile or so in length but it climbs a steep 800 feet to the falls. Worthwhile if your crew is up to the climb.

There's a vehicle-length limit of 21 feet on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, which includes your trailer. Keep that in mind if you want to drive on the road, which shouldn't be missed.

The Highline Trail is a great choice in that it provides sweeping views and you can go as far as you like before turning around and heading back to the visitor center at Logan Pass. Keep in mind that the first portion of the trail includes an exposed cliff. There's a handrail of sorts, but you'll want to keep an eye on the kids in that area.

The best time to snag a spot in the MG campground is in the morning as it tends to fill up rather quickly (11:00 a.m yesterday according to the website). The day of the week doesn't matter during the season. Each day is as busy as the next.

Check the FAQs at the link below for more information on hiking, camping, and other info.

http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... ?f=1&t=580
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
kiddoc

Post by kiddoc »

Two years ago we stayed at both KOA's either end of park(West Glacier and St Mary's) Found it to be a good compromise-- pool, hot tub, showers, laundry and a small snack bar and pancake breakfasts! Would also offer water and electric hook up. Price for a tent site without hook ups was only $3.00 more than the National Park. With three kids in tow, we appreciated the extra amenities. After a severe rain out (7" of rain in a little over 24 hours) in a tent, we were able to move in to a camping cabin. A dry night and a comfy bed! Enjoy! It will be wonderful!!
Jen

Post by Jen »

kiddoc wrote:Two years ago we stayed at both KOA's either end of park(West Glacier and St Mary's) Found it to be a good compromise-- pool, hot tub, showers, laundry and a small snack bar and pancake breakfasts! Would also offer water and electric hook up. Price for a tent site without hook ups was only $3.00 more than the National Park. With three kids in tow, we appreciated the extra amenities. After a severe rain out (7" of rain in a little over 24 hours) in a tent, we were able to move in to a camping cabin. A dry night and a comfy bed! Enjoy! It will be wonderful!!
I have always been a quieter tent camping-scenery-quiet type scene camper. I mistakenly thought 2 nights at the St. Mary KOA would be a nice change for the kiddos. To be honest, I will never stay at a KOA again. It's just not for me. It is a totally different crowd than I am used to camping with. Even though the kids enjoyed the pool, they would not have missed it had we stayed elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I moved the gang up to Johnsons for our final night and was much more at home.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I can see where you wouldn't like the St Mary KOA.
I've stayed there before. They get a lot of our neighbors from the North there...and they like to party hard.
The noise and music didn't bother me too much...as long as it was ZZ Top, Foreigner, CCR, Eagles etc. :)
I had to jump the guy who was playing the music. He ran down his battery.
Most of the partying and noise is/was in the treed area by the river. The open areas where the big rigs park was pretty quiet when I've been there.
But I agree, Johnsons is much quieter.

pocketlint :wink:
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

I stayed at West Glacier KOA last year for 2 nights and I concur....

The facility was nice, but it just didn't feel like the Park......I should have sacrificed the showers and stayed at Apgar (which I really enjoyed when I stayed there)...
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

The hot tubs at West Glacier KOA were a delight after a backpack to Sperry, but it was a weird experience, asking people in houses inside a campground please to turn off their porch lights, which were shining straight into my tent. Apgar has the lake for getting off some layers of sweat and grime, and the rest you've earned! :D

OP has specific needs, and the KOA campgrounds may be suitable.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Pocketlint wrote:I can see where you wouldn't like the St Mary KOA.
I've stayed there before. They get a lot of our neighbors from the North there...and they like to party hard.
The noise and music didn't bother me too much...as long as it was ZZ Top, Foreigner, CCR, Eagles etc. :)
Most of the partying and noise is/was in the treed area by the river. The open areas where the big rigs park was pretty quiet when I've been there.

The noise (screams) were not so much a bother. I was doing pretty OK until I got sprayed in the face with Aquanet in the bathroom. :?
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Jen wrote:
Pocketlint wrote:I can see where you wouldn't like the St Mary KOA.

The noise (screams) were not so much a bother. I was doing pretty OK until I got sprayed in the face with Aquanet in the bathroom. :?
OMG!!! Sprayed with Aquanet? Is that the girls lockeroom equivalent of guys snapping each other with towels? :mrgreen:

Return to “Camping”