Two Weeks in Glacier. I8SumPie (That’s Dirty)

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Two Weeks in Glacier. I8SumPie (That’s Dirty)

Post by Jay w »

July 21, 2011

No Rooms in North Dakota
I made two bad assumptions about the Minnesota state showdown this year. One, it would last about two weeks, and two, I would be laid off. The shutdown lasted three weeks, and since the courts were considered essential, so was I. That means that I couldn’t go on vacation until the shutdown was over.
After stressing about vacation for about a week, I finally got off work July 21st, one day after our planned departure date. Julie and I got the car packed by about 2:30 pm, to St. Cloud by 3:30 to visit my parents, and on the road for Montana about 5 pm.

One bummed weimaraner. A.k.a, the dog that got left behind. Photo: Julie

Normally we leave stupid early, but this time we were leaving stupid late. At about 10 pm, we hit Bismark and stopped for a room. They thought we were nuts…or idiots. Bismark has no rooms due to the flooding and oil exploration, and they couldn’t tell me where a room would be.
So we drove until about 3:30 am to the bridge at Wolf Point (Montana), in or near the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. This was the first spot I thought we wouldn’t be disturbed by parking on private property.

Our sleeping spot on the old highway. (24-105mm)

After a few hours of unconsciousness (not really fair to call it sleep), I got up at 6am and took a few photos before continuing on our trip.

Lewis and Clark Bridge. (24-105mm)

For a 360 degree view
http://bridgehunter.com/mt/roosevelt/wolf-point/

One reason to shut down a steel truss bridge. (24-105mm)

The towns came and went and the gas tank continued to get filled.

Getting close. (24-105mm)

Two Medicine Campground
Our game planned was now to camp at Two Medicine for a night, and then hop to Many Glacier.

Testing a new lens. (21mm)

We ended up camping next to eight guys from Minnesota. When they pulled up and opened the door, it sounded like walking into a bar. Basically two or three of them were talking at once, laughing, and the “gang” had high energy. It wasn't obnoxious, but I wish I had still had that energy.

It may be 4 pm, but it felt like we’re drinking brew in the morning. Photo: Julie

The hike?
It was a pretty lame hike. We walked around the lake, to “the swamp” along the south shore trail, and back home.

Swampland. (24-105mm)

Dinner consisted of the four major food groups and it was early to bed.

Dinner: Day 1. Photo: Julie

Jay W
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Two Weeks in Glacier. I8SumPie (That’s Dirty)

Post by Farmgirl »

So far so good...whatcha doing tomorrow??????? :arrow:
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Nice start.....need more!!!! :D
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

7/22/11

The Move to Many Glacier

We were up very early, running on a normal night of sleep. We packed up, drove to Many Glacier, and arrived in the campground about 7 am. A couple from Wisconsin waved us into their site like an Indy car being waved into the pit. They had loved their site along the river and wanted us to have it. No Packer-Viking thing here.

We got the first circus tent (REI sun shade) setup over the table so we had a dry platform for setting up the site. Then the main circus tent (6 man Kelty) was set up before the first rain started. I found our tent was in a depression and water was starting to run under the tent, so I used the footprint from our small tent to shed water.

Home sweet home. Photo: Julie Joy

The first installation attempt shed water towards a puddle, which in turn drained under the tent.

Wrong way. Photo: Julie Joy

The second attempt wasn’t angled enough, as I found out when it hailed.

Hail no. Photos: Julie Joy

Finally, I got the footprint setup and trenches dug to route the water.

In the midst of setting up camp, we threw everything in the car, paid for our campsite, and had breakfast at the Swiftcurrent restaurant. My omelet appeared to be cooked by making a slab of eggs in a round pan, throwing in the stuffing in the center, and then folding the eggs over. Basically, like I would do at home.

All we need now is the clothesline. Photo: Julie Joy

The sunshade did a good job keeping the table dry but one of the tie-downs ripped before the trip was done.

Barely enough room for eating. Photo: Julie Joy

About the time we’d think about hiking, some rain would roll in, so we kicked back and took it easy for the afternoon. After a little supper of green eggs and ham, we met up with Toddnick, and agreed to stroll up to Appikuni Peak starting at 7:30 am.

Gotta Do Something
Just sitting around pounding shots of espresso was getting old, so we headed out to Josephine Lake, to the Many Glacier Hotel bridge area, and then back to camp. A young woman, wearing an iPod, passed us running north on the Swiftcurrent trail. She seemed oblivious to anything except her playlist. After hiking out, we saw a grizzly along the road (on the hiking trail) heading to the hotel. I wonder if that got her attention.

Not many flowers on the bear grass this year. (21mm)

Construction on Many Glacier Hotel this year. (70-200mm)

The boat. (21mm)

This woods generally looks good in the evening. (70-200mm)

Near the hotel. (21mm)

I promise, I will report on some hikes. Really,

Jay W
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

WI'm really sorry I missed you and Julie.
Love the TR so far, but...

No "dead tree" pictures? Ur famous for those! :(

pocketlint :wink:
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Bring on Apikuni.....

On the way I heard all about the dead trees and saw where Jay spent time taking pictures of them.... :D
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Dead as in, dead when I found it; or dead as in, I'm killing it. I killed a maple tree in our back yard.

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Bad humor, but here's the tree I cut down.

Jay
Jen

Post by Jen »

I vote "TRIP REPORT OF THE YEAR!"

But wait......

There's more???........

:|
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Yup, there's more, like a hike or two. It just takes a while to do a little editing on the photos, do a little writing, and then do all the gymnastics to get it all to work on a post. I'll try to write up a Glacier day each day, if that makes sense.

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

7/23/11

Sunrise Roulette
Most photographers love to get a good sunrise, and sunrises are basically a crapshoot. I headed down to Swiftcurrent Lake (too late) and ran into a photography class. I shot a few photos and tried a panoramic stitch. It looks like I left the camera on auto exposure (so the exposures don’t match), but here it is anyway.

Pano mode. (Stitch with a 70-200)

One shot (21mm)

Back to work. (70-200mm)

I got to talking with a couple photographers, and then remembered I better get my butt back to camp because Todd would be waiting for me. I flew through repacking the backpack from photography to hiking and met up with Todd about 5 minutes late.

It’s hard not to admire Todd. He’s up at 5 am, out there, and gittin’ ‘er done. Most people would look at his vacation schedule as work, or maybe a training camp for hikers, but he loves the mountains, and loves Glacier. He’s a man with a mission. (“And baby you know that’s you,” as Henley would say.)

Altyn Peak
So the hike du jour was Altyn, but instead of humping straight up the scree field as seen from Swiftcurrent parking lot, we were meandering our way up Apikuni Falls and into the valley in a counterclockwise direction, an indirect circling of the mountain. Todd had picked the hike and relayed the idea over email. St. Grizzly describes this hike at summitpost.

http://www.summitpost.org/altyn-peak/557113

“There is nothing difficult or dramatic in the climbing of Altyn Peak (well, on a nice day, anyway—which just coincidentally was presented to us in abundance), and the summit itself is mostly a geologically unimpressive rounded dome. And yet, memories belie there was nothing to this day outside a gentle mountain climbing experience, topped off (naturally) with stunning vistas from the summit. There was indeed drama. Visual drama, the like from which it is difficult to veer, the kind supplied in abundance by a growing nearness of something along the lines of 200 feet of near-vertical carved upthrust. Visual stimulation supplied by the east face of joined-at-the-hip neighbor Mount Henkel. This day’s outing was one of the summer’s more memorable, and I’d recommend Altyn Peak to anyone.”

Even though this sounds like a walk for coffee, Todd and I had both read this, had looked at a topo map, and had guessed that this hike belied the writeup. (Grin.) It was probably a class 1 or 2 scramble, or in other words, doable for the novice, but not a “gentle climbing experience.”

Winter clinging to the rocks. (24-105mm)

Todd had not been up this way, so I was the leader on the first section to the falls, Soon after, Todd took over and did the route finding through the switchbacks and woods.

Apikuni Falls. (24-105mm)

Some more words from St. Grizzly:

“After leaving the trail, both route and climb become relatively and easily intuitive; the cliffs must be surmounted—not difficult—after which the natural lay of the land leads the way up a grassy ridge.”

Interpretation: Find a way through the band of cliffs, and walk to the lake.

As you look at the cliff, there are three ravines that suggest possible routes. On the left is one with a stream supplying water to Apikuni Falls. Scratch that one. In the center and on the right (way up the valley) are two more that look like possible route. Todd had a printout showing a previous hiker’s route, and the center ravine looked like the one, so off we went.

Since I had poles, I kicked some steps across a steep snowfield and that landed us on layered rock leading to the ravine. The problem was the rock was covered with sand and scree. After some very tentative scrambling, my poles (that couldn’t collapse) looked like antennae from my backpack, and were banging the overhead rocks. Todd suggested I take off my pack and peak around the corner and access the route. I saw a shaded ravine (wet rock) with some serious incline. I said to myself, “HE11…no. He11 no.”

“How does it look?”
“I’m not going this way.”

Todd didn’t question me a bit. Then some conversation took place about knowing your limits, not getting hurt, down climbing if it’s the wrong route, and various other things that indicated we’re both not climbers and prefer to live another day. Remember, to a climber this route gets a “the cliffs must be surmounted—not difficult” rating.

A look down the valley. (24-105mm)

We tried the other route further up the valley, and while it looked like a road from the scree field, it had an off-camber pitch that meant you had to pick every step. That and the 30 feet of cornice at the top made this route daunting. Todd pulled out the GPS, spitted out some figures indicating we had already put in a full day of humping, so we bagged it and headed home.

Some dead tree photos for Pete. (24-105mm)

Later I talked with a ranger who said, “You don’t want to climb that one if it looks like rain,” and confirmed that we had taken the two normal routes. Finally, we ran into some climbers from Minnesota that have climbed in Glacier since 1964, Keith and Justin Hollister, and Justin’s girlfriend, Kirsten. Keith said, “Oh, you don’t want to climb that this time of year, it’s full of scree.” And I replied, “Yeah, we found that out.” “Beside, Natahki Lake will be frozen over and I believe they have that area blocked off for habitat rehabilitation.

Todd taking in the waterfall—not posed. (24-105mm)

Bear Jam
Just as we started driving back to camp, a bear jam formed and Todd jumped out of the car saying he hadn’t seen a grizzly yet this trip. I stood on top of rock barrier on a bridge and watched as the grizzly meandered around in the field quite a ways off. I also watched as cars, mobile homes, and park patrol stopped along the road adding to the circus feel. A guy driving by asked out his open window, “What are you seeing out there?” I looked at the distinctive hump on the bear’s back and replied, “A cow,” and then grinned. He smiled too, and started to slowly drive off when I added, “No, no, it’s a grizzly.”

Todd marked this with GPS as 7.5 miles and 2500 ft

Hey Ranger

View from the campsite. (55mm micro)

That night, I was kneeling on a pad, taking some close-up pictures of huckleberries around the campsite, and a ranger parks in front of our site. I couldn’t see the ranger because our car was in the way. After a few minutes, the ranger gets out and says, “94 (our site), are you here?” She wasn’t loud, maybe conversational volume and I replied, “Right here,” which I think kind of scared her. “Oh, oh, I was just checking since you had a cooler out. I don’t want to confiscate paper plates like I did from the Illinois people.” “Yeah, no problem. I’ll clean up in a minute.”

Ok, just kidding on the paper plate part.

Huckleberries. (55mm micro.)

Jay W
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Thanks for the "dead tree" pics. I feel better now.
:mrgreen:
I really like your report(s). The best reports come from people who have a sense of humor...imnsho.
Todd is a lot of fun to hike with. Never a dull moment!

Regarding the omlette...The cook there doesn't know how to make scrambled eggs either.
Occasionally, I send them back with a comment like, "If I wanted a chopped up, greasy fried egg...that's what I would have ordered." I refrained this last time afraid the cook would probably send the order back "defiled" in a way I don't want to think about.

pocketlint :wink:
Last edited by Pocketlint on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Great review of our day!!!!

A wonderful day by all accounts....but you missed the pictures of the creek by your awesome campsite (seriously, if you can get site #94. get it) and the pepperoni and cheese snacks!!!!! :mrgreen:

It was a pleasure to hike with you (and meet your wonderful wife)!!!!! You are certainly more hard core than me and in incredible shape with your bike and cross-country ski racing....but....

I am a man with a mission when in the Park!!!!! It's all about the trails.....too little time in the Park to rest too much....hit the trail at dawn is always my goal....it does come a lot earlier in July....

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Last edited by toddnick on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay w wrote: “Oh, oh, I was just checking since you had a cooler out. I don’t want to confiscate paper plates like I did from the Illinois people.” “Yeah, no problem. I’ll clean up in a minute.”

Ok, just kidding on the paper plate part.
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

:|

More, more, more!!!!
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Farmgirl »

Jay w...I like the way you roll...why haven't you graced us with your presence at any chatter gatherings???? "That's Dirty" 8)

Return to “Trip Reports”