Didn't Cut Bank CG Close Pretty Early?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Didn't Cut Bank CG Close Pretty Early?

Post by wnysteve »

I haven't seen any comment about this, so I will see what you all think. We were transferring from Two Medicine to the Babb area on Sept 3, the Saturday of the Labor Day weekend. Passing the Cut Bank Road, we saw signage that the road to the campground was closed. This was in a period of outstandingly clear weather. The campground was not on the agenda so I just filed this info away.

Four days later, when we hiked from Red Eagle CG up to Triple Divide Pass via the north approach, the Pass and surrounding areas were very still and empty...the approach from the north doesn't seem to be high usage, and of course no one was coming up from the closed Cut Bank area. It was certainly nice. But I had to wonder about the reason and wisdom of closing Cut Bank so early. It's not like there is a lot of facility to manage at the campground. Anyone have more insight?
Last edited by wnysteve on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Didn't Cut Bank CG Close Pretty Early?

Post by toddnick »

Steve,

I noticed this as well; seems like very early to close this campground (and the access road to the campground)....

With the access road closed, it adds a mile each way on the already long day hike to Triple Divide Pass....
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Didn't Cut Bank CG Close Pretty Early?

Post by Ear Mountain »

Labor Day weekend sees a lot of visitor services closed in Glacier. I think the Cut Bank Campground usually closes that weekend as does the Two Medicine Camp Store and the boats on Two Medicine Lake. The Two Medicine Campground goes into primitive status too shortly after the Labor Day weekend. Keep in mind that the Bear Management program requires daily garbage pick up at campgrounds no matter how many people might be using the site. After Labor Day even the larger campgrounds are not used that much. That means a long drive in and out for the personnel on the garbage truck. Another vehicle with personnel has to make the drive in to patrol and collect the fees as there is no ranger on duty there. To enable those resources to be used in areas with high visitor presence the Cut Bank campground closes early.

As Todd points out, however, you can still drive to the Ranger Station and hike in from there. It only adds a little more to your hike.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Camping”