Quartz Lake Loop

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

b_kloos88

Quartz Lake Loop

Post by b_kloos88 »

What can you tell me about the Quartz Lake loop in the North Fork area? Should it be hiked a certain direction? What are the sites like? Any recommendations? My buddy and I are thinking about taking our wives on their first "official" backpack trip. They've both done a little, but not the "get up and get to your next site" kind. We've done some out-and-back's with them, mostly short mileage, with little elevation gain, but I think they'd be up to it. Let me know your thoughts...
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Quartz Lake Loop

Post by Ear Mountain »

I've done the Quartz Lake Loop as a day hike and looked at the campsite. Quartz lake is nice with sites near the shore and nice viewso of Vulture Peak. Good fishing too I think. I'd do the loop clockwise to get the most climbing done the first day. But I've done it both ways and either works. Mileages if you camp are not that greating leaving plenty of time for enjoying camp. Are you thinking of one or two nights for the trip?
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I was actually thinking about maybe 2 nights at one of the sites (whichever is nicer) and 1 night at the next site. Our trip to Glacier probably would be a fairly short one, maybe 4 days, so it might be good to have a day to just relax, fish, etc. in the backcountry...
Brian

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

To me a three night itinerary around that loop would be very nice. I'd spend the two nights at Quartz Lake and fish the heck out of it. As I said the views there are superb.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

What is the elevation gain on this loop?
Brian

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

b_kloos88 wrote:What is the elevation gain on this loop?
Here are approximate gains and losses.

From Bowman Lake to Quartz Lake there is a gain of 1,400 ft. and a loss of 1,000 ft.
From Quartz Lake to Lower Quartz Lake the trail is relatively level but with a total loss of 200 ft.
From Lower Quartz back to Bowman Lake there is a gain of 900 ft. and a loss of 1100 ft.

Going counter clockwise saves only about 300 ft on the first day but this is made up the second day with a little larger gain the last day. I still prefer the clockwise direction.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

b_kloos88 wrote:I was actually thinking about maybe 2 nights at one of the sites (whichever is nicer) and 1 night at the next site. Our trip to Glacier probably would be a fairly short one, maybe 4 days, so it might be good to have a day to just relax, fish, etc. in the backcountry...
This is for the spouses, right? Do they fish? I'd go bonkers sitting around a backcountry site watching somebody else, not really able even to walk around on my own because of wildlife.

Bowman L campground offers options for 3-4 days. Even better if you can rooftop a canoe.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Selkie wrote:
b_kloos88 wrote:I was actually thinking about maybe 2 nights at one of the sites (whichever is nicer) and 1 night at the next site. Our trip to Glacier probably would be a fairly short one, maybe 4 days, so it might be good to have a day to just relax, fish, etc. in the backcountry...
This is for the spouses, right? Do they fish? I'd go bonkers sitting around a backcountry site watching somebody else, not really able even to walk around on my own because of wildlife.

Bowman L campground offers options for 3-4 days. Even better if you can rooftop a canoe.
Selkie:

Wives don't need to know how to fish, or even like fishing for that matter. They just need to know how to clean the fish and cook them up for their husbands....and of course make sure they leave room in their packs to carry out the smelly leftovers. :mrgreen:

:arrow: :arrow:
pocketlint :wink:
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by TnTammy »

Wives don't need to know how to fish, or even like fishing for that matter. They just need to know how to clean the fish and cook them up for their husbands....and of course make sure they leave room in their packs to carry out the smelly leftovers. :mrgreen:
pocketlint :wink:
How do you live with yourself!!!!!!!! :lol:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Selkie wrote:

Selkie,
Quartz Lake would be great for swimming too. The beach next to the campsites is especially nice IMHO.

Return to “Camping”