Which Route?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

b_kloos88

Which Route?

Post by b_kloos88 »

Ok, everyone, Help me out. Which route should I do, and WHY, if I have the opportunity permit-wise? I've never done any of these routes, and I like the views along the way more than the views from camp. Although, if they're both good, I won't complain. I also like solitude, which would probably put the Kintla route up there. I can take 4-5 days. I want your opinion.

Dawson-Pitamaken Loop
Reynolds to Sperry
Out-and Back to Lake Isabel, including Cobalt Lake
Kintla to Bowman via Brown and Boulder Pass
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Re: Which Route?

Post by Talusman »

I like the Kintla route, but do it in reverse.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I've done Dawson-Pitamakin and Gunsight Pass both. Both as dayhikes a long time ago and more recently as backpacks.
They're good itineraries with great views, etc.
Not been to Lake Isabel and so can't comment.
Spent the night at Upper kintla last September on my ill fated Boulder Pass backpack.
All that said, from what I know, and from what people who have done the Bowman-Kintla packpack told me...
I'd ask for Bowman-Kintla via Brown Pass, Hole In the Wall, Boulder Pass as a first choice, then the Gunsight as a 3 nighter, if you can get all three campsites, as a second choice.

Why?
If you do Gunsight as a 3 nighter, you'll have a short hike the 2nd day. Going up to Gunsight Pass and dropping down to Lake Ellen Wilson is a really nice hike. Beautiful views all the way.And Lake Ellen Wilson is a wonderful place to spend the day. You'll have plenty of time since it doesn't take long to get there from Gunsight Lake CG.
Then it's a short hike to Sperry from Lake Ellen Wilson. You'll have plenty of time to explore and look around the Sperry area.
Dawson-Pitamakan has the 4 miles ridge walk between Old Man and No Name Lake CG's with Scenic Point and it's spectacular views into the Nyack region. Making it a 2 nighter means no really hard days. Time to fish or swim if that's your thing. Or maybe if you have the energy going up to Flinsch peak as a side trip.

I'll let others tell you about the Boulder Pass itinerary. Awesome country from what I saw from down low.

pocketlint :wink:
Last edited by Pocketlint on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

Daw-Pit can be done as a single or two-night overnight, but it also can be done as a long day hike (17 miles if you catch the boat at the end, 19 miles otherwise). The views are fabulous, especially between the passes, so I highly recommend it. But if you have the time to do it as a day hike you might want to consider it if that would enable you to do one of your other choices. Something to think about.

Cobalt is a nice hike, but there are better ones, in my opinion. I haven't been beyond Cobalt to Two Medicine Pass or Lake Isabel, so I can't comment further.

That leaves your other two choices, and I think either one would be great.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

You say you like solitude. I guess it depends on how one defines the term, but I think I have found solitude when my party doesn't see anyone for at least a day or two of our backpack. You won't find that kind of solitude on these hikes. The closest you'll get is on the Lake Isabel choice but even then you'll see other hikers envery day and while in camp.

The Dawson-Pitamakin route will provide the least solitude since many folks do that as a day hike. Kintla to Bowman via Boulder and Brown Passes and the trail between Lake McDonald and the Jackson Glacier overlook via Gunsight Pass are quite popular too.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I'm kind of leaning toward the Kintla route, just because I'd like a 4-5 night trip, although Ellen Wilson looks awesome. It reminds me of Stoney Indian Lake, which, if if you haven't been to, is amazing. I'm starting to like a bit shorter days (4-6miles) where I can take as much time (and as many photos ) as I like, and not be dead tired when I get to camp. What can you tell me about the Sperry campsite? I also think the Kintla route might be easier to secure, and it would be less populated.
Brian

trillerud1
Donator
Donator

Post by trillerud1 »

I would do kintla - bowman ... but include a side trip to hole in the wall --- fantastic views above the tree line. ... first and last days include a lot of forest hiking.

-robin
"There is just one hope for repulsing the tyrannical ambition of civilization to conquer every niche of the whole earth. That hope is the organization of spirited people who will fight for the freedom of the wilderness."
- Robert Marshall
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I have hiked up to Brown Pass from Bowman lake...although we paddled down the lake, so we didn't do as much forest hiking. That trip report is on my blog by the way, http://gailandbrian.wordpress.com/2012/ ... ip-part-1/. I'm starting to lean toward this route...
Brian

Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Regarding "solitude'

I like hiking and backpacking alone. Been like that for years. Mostly while hunting/bowhunting (outside thepark of course :mrgreen: ).
Friends(my family quit asking years ago) always ask me, "Aren't you afraid of hiking alone out there?"
My reply is " Nope, and rarely am I ever alone in GNP. There's always people on the trails between the more popular campsites, or nearly always...again in my experience."

I don't have the experience many of the chatters here have in GNP, but in my experience you aren't going to have any solitude on any of the popular itineraries, including, maybe especially the Kintla Bowman one...UNLESS
You go later in the season, like after mid September. But then you risk, getting snow....not necessarily bad unless there's a lot of it making hiking hazardous.

Before Labor Day it's almost a certainty that all the popular campsites will be occupied by those reserving sites and/or walkups...., plus as mentioned day hikers on some of the routes.

Last year when I attempted to get up to BOU, I camped at UPK. I didn't see but one person in the 2 days I was up there...and he wasn't supposed to be at UPK. But that was September 22-23.
When I picked up mypermit(as a walkup) Iasked if there were many others out in that area. The Ranger said "nope".
So there you go. If you really want to avoid the crowds, Spetember is when to come...imo.

pocketlint :wink:
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I've always wanted to come in September, but it never works out because of my schedule...
Brian

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Ahhh....September!!!!!!

I love my annual trip starting on Labor Day week-end...

I tried July last year but it just wasn't the same not experiencing the sunrises and sunsets (the sun was up before I climbed out of the tent at 6AM and hadn't set when I crawl back in just before 10PM)...

But July was still amazing anyway..... :mrgreen:
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

I've always wanted to be there when the larch turn color...although that may be getting into October depending on several factors...
Brian

Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

b_kloos88 wrote:I've always wanted to be there when the larch turn color...although that may be getting into October depending on several factors...
Nov3,2011 Inside Road, Lake Winona. A few larches in the background. I like them too.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

My experience the last several years is that the "color" in the Park starts about 9/10.....
Jen

Post by Jen »

Kintla -Bowman....hands down :arrow:

I know others recommend the reverse route but all I am going to say is Kintla-Bowman = Closer to Polebridge on Day 5 :wink:

Return to “Camping”