Kalispell vs Great Falls for the East Side?

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tsmith
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Kalispell vs Great Falls for the East Side?

Post by Tsmith »

Been keeping an eye on airfares and since we will strictly be on the East Side this trip I've pretty much made up my mind to fly into GTF this time. Right now out of New Orleans the rates will save me enough to totally cover the car rental for the week vs flying into FCA.

Is it a no brainer to choose the route? How much time should one allow from GTF to Rising Sun?

Thanks!
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Kalispell vs Great Falls for the East Side?

Post by toddnick »

About 3 hours....I flew into GTF (for savings) in September for the first time...I decided afterwards that the extra money ($500 including flight and car) was worth it to fly again into Kalispell in 2013...I prefer flying in over the mountains (gorgeous) and the drive over GTTS Road after flying in (as opposed to the plains)...but that is only my opinion...
Last edited by toddnick on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Thanks! Yeah I do love the view coming in but at the cost savings I believe I'm gonna go for GTF this trip - :?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Right now, Great falls is $81 cheaper than Kalispell for my tentative dates. But both are way high: $790 vs $871.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Though it's not to everyone's taste, I'll put in a plug for the drive up from Great Falls ... with all the amazing drives in Montana, that's one of my favorites. The Rocky Mountain Front on one side, the vast prairies on the other -- it's quintessential Montana. Even though I usually spend my time on the west side of Glacier, I often choose the east side drive up, because I like it so much.

Three hours is more than enough time for the drive. If time is a little tight, you can save a few minutes by taking either the Star School or Duck Lake roads past Browning.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I agree with Pitamakan. I think the drive from Great Falls is very nice.

Lyman
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

pitamakan wrote:Though it's not to everyone's taste, I'll put in a plug for the drive up from Great Falls ... with all the amazing drives in Montana, that's one of my favorites. The Rocky Mountain Front on one side, the vast prairies on the other -- it's quintessential Montana. Even though I usually spend my time on the west side of Glacier, I often choose the east side drive up, because I like it so much.

Three hours is more than enough time for the drive. If time is a little tight, you can save a few minutes by taking either the Star School or Duck Lake roads past Browning.
Are you talking about I-15 north to U.S.-2 west?
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Hockey Ref wrote:Right now, Great falls is $81 cheaper than Kalispell for my tentative dates. But both are way high: $790 vs $871.

Wow! I'm seeing $514 total cost from New Orleans to GTF yet FCA the cheapest with few options to is $641. Plus the GTF puts me there around 1:00pm so I'd have plenty of time to pickup supplies and hopefully make Rising Sun by 6:00pm.

I've looked at some of the short cuts mentioned in other threads and might employ those alternatives too.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Tsmith wrote:
Hockey Ref wrote:Right now, Great falls is $81 cheaper than Kalispell for my tentative dates. But both are way high: $790 vs $871.

Wow! I'm seeing $514 total cost from New Orleans to GTF yet FCA the cheapest with few options to is $641. Plus the GTF puts me there around 1:00pm so I'd have plenty of time to pickup supplies and hopefully make Rising Sun by 6:00pm.

I've looked at some of the short cuts mentioned in other threads and might employ those alternatives too.
My trip is from Indy.
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Hockey Ref wrote: My trip is from Indy.
Yeah I realized that. Its just really hard to figure out, even if its humanly possible the airline industries pricing practices.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Hockey Ref wrote:
pitamakan wrote:Though it's not to everyone's taste, I'll put in a plug for the drive up from Great Falls ... with all the amazing drives in Montana, that's one of my favorites. The Rocky Mountain Front on one side, the vast prairies on the other -- it's quintessential Montana. Even though I usually spend my time on the west side of Glacier, I often choose the east side drive up, because I like it so much.

Are you talking about I-15 north to U.S.-2 west?
Nope, definitely not ... that's mostly just a trip through the prairies, and though it's nice enough, you have to like prairies.

I'm talking about US 89 via Choteau. That's a nice town, and I really love the road north from there to the park. (US 287 from Choteau south to Helena is even prettier, though flying into Helena would add another 45 minutes or so to the drive, and the fares to Helena are probably no better.)
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

I was considering 15 to 44 to 89 at Browning then Duck Lake Rd to Star School Rd then 89 to St. Mary.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

great falls is a beautiful approach. years back we got a deal into calgary and came down from there. about 4 hours i think. i think the border is too much hassle these days to do that now. there are cheap fares into spokane from the east but i think that is about 6 hours to the park. i've never done that.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Tsmith wrote:I was considering 15 to 44 to 89 at Browning then Duck Lake Rd to Star School Rd then 89 to St. Mary.
Yep, if you just want to make time that's probably the fastest route. It's much less scenic than the drive through Choteau, though, and would only save you a few minutes -- I'd definitely recommend going via Choteau at least one way.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tsmith wrote:I was considering 15 to 44 to 89 at Browning then Duck Lake Rd to Star School Rd then 89 to St. Mary.
I have gotten stuck behind an RV on Route 89 between Browning and St. Mary a few too many times. I would actually prefer to take the Duck Lake Road all the way from Browning to Babb and then drive south on 89 to St. Mary. It is more miles but it is probably about as fast and with fewer hassles.

Lyman

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”