Improved sole for Asolo boots

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Improved sole for Asolo boots

Post by Selkie »

Quite surprising myself, I bought new, returned Asolo boots at REI (a surprise because I had only gone to stock up on chocolate mint GUs and Montana Huckleberry Hammer gels for the massive pool mileage coming up in 2013). Asolo seems to have given up on its proprietary, non-grippy sole and gone over to the Vibram side, with significantly improved grip for the granite slabs of New England. I also tried on and liked some approach shoes for the trails (and off-trail hiking) in the West that do not need boot overkill. That seems to be the latest niche being explored by bootmakers.
Marmotman
Gender?: Male

Re: Improved sole for Asolo boots

Post by Marmotman »

What style of Asolo did you get Selkie? I broke down this year and impulse bought a pair of Fugitive GTX's on sale at REI Outlet. I wear a wide boot so I took a chance but they fit great. My 535s are still in decent shape but I wanted a little lighter boot on my foot plus having rubber toe guards is a plus for me. I must tend to drag my toe in scree and the all leather 535s toes look like they've been through a battle. I agree the soles tend to be a little lacking for grippyness but all in all both the 535s and the Fugitives have treated me pretty good. Intersesting they switched to vibram.

I hike with a couple of friends that wear Keens and I see them having traction problems all the time. Plus on crossing streams they always have to stop and water shoe up while I just cross in the water and on rocks and still stay dry.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

I got the Styngers, with the slidey older sole (whee! Face plant). I also tried the newest version of Asolos with a much more grippy sole. They have a slightly narrower toebox, so I will pass them up (and they are kind of ugly: green, mesh). The Fugitives came out around the time of the Styngers and have the older sole.
I'll use the Styngers on non-slabby trails, and replace the soles eventually with something more aggressive.

Asolos are great for crossing streams, especially when combined with short gaiters. My existing boots, now about 10 years old, are in the 500 series.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

In the lighter-weight category (yes, Asolos can be a weight drag!) I am looking at Merrill's Sirens (women's), like an approach shoe, and the offerings of a new company, Bozos.

I have some of the ubiquitous Keens, which seem to serve no purpose, although they are the same color as Grand Canyon trail dust, where they were quite popular.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Thanks for your thoughts Selkie. The other reason I even brought up the idea of Keens is that back in 2010 we did a 2 nighter from St Mary, Red Eagle, Triple Divide to Cutbank. On the first night at Red Eagle, the backcountry ranger joined us. I noticed he was wearing Keens and asked him how he liked them. He said he's used them for a couple of years and likes them but only gets one season out of them. He was only carrying a 20 lbs pack though and its all on trail hiking. I have a pair that I use on weekends for doing errands in town and walking dogs but haven't had the inclination to use them in the backcountry.

I get about 5 years out of a pair of Asolos averaging about 150 to 200 miles a year so I can't complain too much. The boot doesn't wear out per se (like holes) but I start getting hot spots on my feet. I get new boots before actual blisters start up.
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Selkie -

Thanks a lot for sharing this info. I bought a pair of Asolo Flames three years ago and used them with mixed success all summer in Glacier that year. My number one, and really only serious critique of the boot, was the horribly slippery sole. I was flabbergasted that a company like Asolo would use such an underperforming yet vital component to their product. I upgraded to the all leather, Vibram-soled TPS 520 in 2011, and the boot has been great. I put a lot of miles both on and off trail in the boot, and they helped up well until the end of 2012 when I noticed that the toes were wearing through on both boots. Wish I would have gotten a little bit more life out of a nearly $300 boot, but I'm going to take the plunge and buy another pair before summer this year. Hope to get a little bit more life out of the new ones.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

There are a couple of boot repair places out West (Google). If you love your boot, maybe you could have new toes created and glued on.
Or perhaps you could get Asolo interested.
Then there is the Limmer, made to your feet. If you are paying $300 for off-the-shelf, why not get a lifetime boot? (Of course, you'd have to go to NH, which has actual snow...).
The heel wore clear through on my old Asolos. Just a big hole at the end of Sperry Trail.

Fabiano Blues - those were the boots. 17 years. Every bit of them wore out, and I stuffed newspapers in, like the hobo we all are at heart (Hi, Jen!), and went on trekking.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Selkie wrote: Fabiano Blues - those were the boots. 17 years. Every bit of them wore out, and I stuffed newspapers in, like the hobo we all are at heart (Hi, Jen!), and went on trekking.
I am currently boot shopping so i am reading these posts with the utmost of interest! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
mikie

Post by mikie »

Limmer run around $700/pair. The wait is around 1-1/2 to 2 years. If you can find a pair of boots off the shelf, you will be better off.
griffin

Post by griffin »

mikie wrote:Limmer run around $700/pair. The wait is around 1-1/2 to 2 years. If you can find a pair of boots off the shelf, you will be better off.
They sell non-custom boots, too, do they not?

Helpful thread, as I'm in the market for a new pair of boots as well. My Vasque's have developed a crack in the sole (under the ball of my foot). I"m not happy - they are about 3 years old, but they don't have a lot of mileage on them. I would have thought Vibram soles would hold up better, but after checking some online reviews it looks like a lot of folks have had durability issues with them.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

griffin wrote:
Helpful thread, as I'm in the market for a new pair of boots as well. My Vasque's have developed a crack in the sole (under the ball of my foot). I"m not happy - they are about 3 years old, but they don't have a lot of mileage on them. I would have thought Vibram soles would hold up better, but after checking some online reviews it looks like a lot of folks have had durability issues with them.
Is the crack in the rubber sole, or the insole? I guess you could try sending them back to manufacturer. Another option, if in the outer sole, is to get them resoled with a generic Vibram sole (heavy, trustworthy). Couple of places out West do such work (Google and you shall find...).

The Merrill mids I was so excited about have reviews highlighting that they seem not to be water resistant, and take forever to dry out. I'll explore the new Oboz, which got better reviews.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Took a leap of faith. After 10 years in the REI hiking boot made by Raichle, I went for the lighter weight Asolo Fission GV. The fit was just too good, i couldn't resist them! Talked with the REI salesfellow at length about if these were supportive enough for a multiday backpack trip carrying roughly 40 lbs b/c they are billed as being best for dayhikes and weekend backpacking 'jaunts'. His assurances were surprisingly convincing and the reviews were pretty much outstanding. Of course the REI 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is comforting.

http://www.rei.com/product/830737/asolo ... 1b2166becc

I had such a confidence in my previous boots with full leather uppers for backpacking. Just wondering how this type of lighter weight boot has worked out for folks carrying a pack or on longer dayhikes. Thanks in advance.

BTW, the Vibram sole seems to have just the right mix of stiffness yet grippyness. Took 'em out for an 8 mile spin carrying 25 lbs on muddy, slippy trail.....they were great! :P
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Those are pretty similar to my Fugitives. I 'm very happy with mine having done both day hikes and backpacking.My heaviest pack was about 45 pounds on a trip into Tranquil Lakes in The Bob. I had to carry my float tube and waders as well as some of my dogs stuff. No problems. I also did Floral Park twice. Once backwards from Sperry Chalet; and once with Toddnick the right way and all the way to Lake McD. No blisters and my feet felt fine. (My legs were shot though). :arrow:
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Marmotman wrote:Those are pretty similar to my Fugitives. I 'm very happy with mine having done both day hikes and backpacking.My heaviest pack was about 45 pounds on a trip into Tranquil Lakes in The Bob. I had to carry my float tube and waders as well as some of my dogs stuff. No problems. I also did Floral Park twice. Once backwards from Sperry Chalet; and once with Toddnick the right way and all the way to Lake McD. No blisters and my feet felt fine. (My legs were shot though). :arrow:
Twice on Floral Park without blisters is 'bout as good a testimonial as it gets!! :lol: Good to know about the backpacking test as well.
JustMike suspects that the synthetic upper with Goretex will be cooler than my previous leathers with Goretex. I usually always wound up with a heal blister on hot days, stuck with the boots anyway. I would think Floral Park was a very good test of whether your feet got hot.....with no blisters, i'm assuming that is true.?

I also noticed over long days that my knees just ached terribly from lifting my previous boots and less flexibility in the foot to push off (I'm sure age has nothing to do with it :roll: ). Planning Daw-Pit this summer...hoping the new lighter boots are kinder to the knees.

Thanks again! :P
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

I have a pair of Asolo Sasslong backpacking boots that I got about a year ago. Vibram soles. Gortex. Picked them up on Sierra Trading Post for about $150, which is something like half of the retail price I believe. I have to say I love these boots. On our Glacier trip last year, I was the only one that wasn't complaining of blisters and various foot problems. I've used them on a number of backpacking trips over the last year and have zero complaints. Love 'em!

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”