Sun, Rain, Snow, Repeat: GNP Sept 2014

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

McNeill78
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sun, Rain, Snow, Repeat: GNP Sept 2014

Post by McNeill78 »

We had so much anticipation and excitement for our third trip to GNP. Great advice and inspiration from all on the forum and others had resulted in a 13 day itinerary with 2 three night backpacking trips, 2 summit attempts, 2 off trail treks and several day hikes.

Our first day was a short off trail trek to Moon Basin. Touted by Toddnick as the perfect off trail hike for beginner or sage it packs alot in 3-5 hours. Starting at 11 from the MG Hotel parking lot we followed Cracker Lake Trail for about a mile until an obvious steep gully appeared on our right. A fairly easy scramble terminated in class 4 ledges that gave way to vertical rock. A less obvious game trail took off to our left, following the base of the vertical face thru low bushes for the next 10 minutes.

As we entered a growth of short trees we looked for the next scramble thru what I call Moon Basin Notch. More of a dirt scramble than rock, this could be rather testy if wet. It did have one short climb shown below.

Finally at the top of the notch we took a short break and got the mandatory pic on picture rock.

We followed the ridge up to the beginning of another game tail leading directly into the basin. It was a classic talus side hill trail slowly gaining to the first waterfall from the basin

The water fall

The cliff seperating Snow Moon from Falling Leaf. Moon Lake had more of a glacier blue color while Leaf was pretty clear

We stayed for an hour in the Basin, amazed despite great weather and it being Labor Day Sunday saw no one the entire day. I know that any good trip report must have either some impending disaster and/or a food pic so for this one enjoy the desert we had at Two Sisters. Tomorrow we shall confront our first impending disaster.

joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Sun, Rain, Snow, Repeat: GNP Sept 2014

Post by joybird »

Oh boy, oh boy! At last, another trip report!!

::rubs hands in glee::

What a great way to start the Thanksgiving Holiday. :mrgreen:
McNeill78

Post by McNeill78 »

Labor Day at Glacier had us attempting to summit Mount Reynolds. We tried to get to Logan early to avoid the crowded parking lot but got hung up at St Mary getting our backpacking permit for the following day. Despite a little fog / low clouds we fully expected a full lot as we pulled in at 9:00 to Logan Pass. We were car number 14. Not a good sign.

Conditions at Logan were windy to very windy with occasional rain, the ceiling around 8,000. We quickly layered up and made our lonely trek up the boardwalk which lead to the climbers trail cutoff. As we turned left towards Reynolds the blowing clouds lifted allowing a brief view of Reynolds, it would be the last of the day.

The small snow fields we crossed had well worn steps and were not particularly hazardous. The wind grew as we gained the first pass and rain became sleet which suited me just fine. We traversed the west side of Reynolds leading to the saddle between it and Dragon Tail using the goat trail all the while climbing into thicker clouds. We found the SW climber's trail and began out ascent.

After the initial scramble we began the dreaded scree climb to the next set of cliffs. Snow from Friday was pretty thick in spots adding to the normal 2 steps up 1.5 steps back progress up the scree field. Conditions remained about the same, a little more wind, harder sleet, but no ice covered rocks so far. I was astonished as we spotted a set of tracks angling into the worn scree trail. They were headed up and obviously from earlier that morning. We were not the only fools on the mountain that day!

Soon we heard voices in the clouds above and a pair appeared heading our way. We had the briefest of exchanges as the girl friend of the two looked pretty cold. We learned it was really really windy at the top, the cairns were hard to follow but we should be okay since the snow would give us tracks to follow. The climbers disappeared rapidly down the scree trail.

We struggled 5 more minutes until we gained the cliff band and made good progress following the cairns and tracks until we reached an extended ledge with tracks and cairns both ways. I felt we were very close to the summit ridge but needed to make a decision pretty quick as the wind and sleet continued to increase. Summit fever also had a pretty strong grip on me which I acknowledged with Pam as we huddled in a small pocket out of the elements to wolf down our lunch.

To the west on the ledge it took a hard turn to the right into the teeth of the blowing sleet. I told Pam I would go alone for 5 minutes and if no ridge was found we would need to turn back. It was really nasty as I turned the corner but the footing was good so I tucked my head down and followed the ledge as it angled upward. Within a minute the summit ridge was in view!! I turned back and gave Pam the thumbs up but warned her around the corner it was going to be nasty and we had to keep moving and gain the summit ridge.

You may have noticed Pam has abandoned her gloves as they became wet from rock climbing and more of hindrance than a help. I was quite concerned but she assured me her hands were okay as we ate lunch. I practically danced up the ridge and was so happy we had made it after almost turning back right at the end. I can appreciate better now summit fever and the effects it has on your judgement. We had a very brief stay on top while enjoying a view equal to being inside of a milk bottle.

On the way down I was amazed at the strange growth of ice/snow on the tips of exposed rocks. I was even more amazed when we came upon climbers 5 and 6 who told me they had used the north traverse, wow! Any way we made our way down quickly despite all the ice rock pictures I took. Pam has now upgraded to dry sock gloves for climb down.

We descended out of the clouds while still high above Hidden Lake. At the lower altitude we were back into the rain zone which sped our walk to a jog once we reached the boardwalk.

The parking lot was now about full despite more rain and wind than when we began. We headed west and had the wonderful burger and beer fries at the Glacier Grill shown below

Two days down and many to go, tomorrow we go backpacking and meet up with Jen, Bruce, Joybird and later Toddnick at Gunsight Lake.
Last edited by McNeill78 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

WooHOO!!!!

Today I am thankful for meeting Jim and Pam this year and for this perfectly timed trip report! :arrow:

You two are hiking animals!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Another day in paradise.

So what was the disaster?

:)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Boy, those rocks on Reynolds must have been slippery coming down. Glad you made it out okay.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
McNeill78

Post by McNeill78 »

paul wrote:Boy, those rocks on Reynolds must have been slippery coming down. Glad you made it out okay.

After we looked at the pictures it did look pretty slippery. At the time the wind was more of a concern, especially the short trip around the corner on the ledge to get to the summit ridge.
McNeill78

Post by McNeill78 »

Sun, Rain, Snow, Repeat: Day Three was full of Sun and the first day of our 3 night GUN/ELL/SPE backpacking trip. We drove our rental up from McDonald to Logan and immediately hopped on a down shuttle to the Gunsight trail head. There was a lot of bear scat on the gentle descent to Reynolds Creek which kept our conversation especially loud. We passed several hikers / packers coming and going from GUN. We hoped to do a day hike to Jackson Glacier that afternoon and made good time on our 5 mile hike to the campsite. Happy Pam crossing Reynolds.

GUN was a ghost town as we setup, ate lunch and prepped for the day hike. The Jackson trail was pretty steep at the start and made a beeline for the glacier. After a mile the trail grew faint and we popped out of the trees into a grassy rock filled meadow leading to the moraine ridge guarding the glacier. As we made our way to the high end of the gray ridge we made several mental notes of landmarks to our rear to make sure we could find the trail on the return.

Halfway across the meadow we ran into 2 female members of a 6 person soil sampling team who were on day 8 of a 9 day trek. Pretty interesting folks, we got to know them all better at dinner and breakfast. Crossing the ridge at a yellow colored gap we began crossing several gigantic smooth rock slabs.

The immense rock slabs were worth the hike. We crossed 5-6 of them until we arrived at a cliff overlooking Jackson Glacier. Across the Jackson we could also see Blackfoot Glacier. The colors were pretty special.

Being somewhat of a rock nut the stromatolite fossils on the rock slabs were wonderful, again worth the hike alone.

Some more fun on the slabs as we returned to GUN.

We ran into 2 more members of the soil team on the way back. Despite all the effort to make good landmarks of the trail coming out of the woods we still got a little nervous and for a time thought we might have missed it. We finally got on the trail and made it back to camp. At supper we met up with Jen, Bruce and Joybird. A lot of smiles as we talked about past and future adventures. We also picked the minds of "Soil Team 6" and got some more data for a possible Lee Ridge Traverse in the future. Here is 5 of the team after 8 days on the trail, note the duct tape patch.

Okay so we had sun today, guess what tomorrow brings as we join forces with Toddnick to climb thru Gunsight Pass.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hey Jim! You need to finish this report! :)
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Jen wrote:Hey Jim! You need to finish this report! :)
Look out, folks! Sounds like we got us case of Glacier withdrawal here... :lol: :wink:
McNeill78

Post by McNeill78 »

Had to go cold turkey on this forum in order to commit to a trip to North Cascades in August, I miss Glacier so much, I can only hope NC is half as good as Glacier, also no where near the support and resources for making a trip there (i.e. the Chatters).

Upside is less pressure on the trails, more like a trip to the Bob in some respects.

Hope to add to trip report in the coming weeks.

Return to “Trip Reports”