Have a spot for another hiker 7/30 - Aug 5?

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ohiohiker
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Have a spot for another hiker 7/30 - Aug 5?

Post by ohiohiker »

:roll:
Coming from Ohio to see GNP for the first time. Submitted a request for 2 different trips to the lottery and got rejected. If anyone is looking to add an extra hiker or would like an extra hiker for you group, please give me an email. My parents are doing cabin camping while I was going to do backcountry with my friend. He had to cancel so it would just be 1 additional independent hiker. 8)

Really looking for something for sure Aug 1,2, and 3. I could start July 30, July 31, Aug 1, or Aug 2nd. My exit would need to be Aug 4th or the 5th. Would have some transportation depending on the dates.

Single athletic male in 20s, have hiked Applacian Trail, Red River Gorge, Colorado, Arkansas, and OK have a hammock setup and all my own gear, cooking stuff, etc. Won't slow you down and looking to enjoy nature not party. Can hike longer distances if the schedule calls for it. Have hiked 20 miles in a day before but not at elevation.

Christian Athlete. Would like anything in the Northern Loop area - Many Glacier, St. Mary, The Belly River, Bowman. This is my first trip so I am excited to see as much as possible.

Thanks.
risingwolf
Gender?: Male

Re: Have a spot for another hiker 7/30 - Aug 5?

Post by risingwolf »

GOOD LUCK ON FINDING SOMEONE TO HOOK UP WITH, YOUR GOING TO NEED IT. AS THIS IS YOUR FIRST TRIP TO GLACIER YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO SEE AND NOT ALL IS ON A BACKPACKING ITINERARY. DAY HIKE!

BEING A SOLO AND A NEWBIE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER GOING ON SOME OF THE VERY INFORMATIVE RANGER LED HIKES, FOUND IN THE "RANGER-LED ACTIVITY GUIDE". IT IS A GREAT WAY TO GET YOUR FEET WET AND GAIN SOME EXPERIENCE IN THE PARK. YOU CAN ALSO TRY TO HOOK UP WITH ANOTHER SOLO HIKER OR GROUP AT A TRAIL HEAD. I CAN'T RECOMMEND SOLO HIKING BECAUSE IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED BUT I AND MANY OTHERS DO IT, JUST GAIN SOME EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOU TRY IT.

BELIEVE ME, YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME.

GOOD LUCK
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Have a spot for another hiker 7/30 - Aug 5?

Post by PeteE »

You can still try for a good itinerary using the "walk up" process when you get here.
Half the back country sites are reserved for walk ups.
Solo hiking isn't "recommended" but many people do it all the time. I certainly do 8)
I think you'll be fine if you can't find a partner.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Backcountry Permits”